Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 51089 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #240 on: Nov 12, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Just got off the phone with customer service, they are sending a new sled and told me to keep the one I have. I forgot to ask about the hinges for the windbreak position, but I guess I won’t really know about that or the tent until I put it together. All in all I’m happy for now, I know that they will take care of it :tipup:

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #241 on: Nov 12, 2018, 09:31 PM »
Talked to Shappell this afternoon the product manager is flying to Missouri tomorrow to the factory where they drill the sleds. He is doing some quality control testing to get the jigs aligned so the holes are where they need to be. Fun fact learned today all holes are hand drilled off an aluminum jig. Anyways the new sleds will be shipping out shortly to those of us that need them.
The new folding braces are starting production, he said they will be shipping out right around Thanksgiving.
The new tent prototype is finished it's flying over now and as soon as he gets back from Missouri to run some quality control tests and ok it, they'll start production. It sounds like around Thanksgiving will be the ship date on the new tents.
He made it a point to apologize and wants to make this right. I appreciate that, and hope it works out for all of us. I will keep updating the progess as the fixes show up. 

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Nov 12, 2018, 11:13 PM »
Talked to Shappell this afternoon the product manager is flying to Missouri tomorrow to the factory where they drill the sleds. He is doing some quality control testing to get the jigs aligned so the holes are where they need to be. Fun fact learned today all holes are hand drilled off an aluminum jig. Anyways the new sleds will be shipping out shortly to those of us that need them.
The new folding braces are starting production, he said they will be shipping out right around Thanksgiving.
The new tent prototype is finished it's flying over now and as soon as he gets back from Missouri to run some quality control tests and ok it, they'll start production. It sounds like around Thanksgiving will be the ship date on the new tents.
He made it a point to apologize and wants to make this right. I appreciate that, and hope it works out for all of us. I will keep updating the progess as the fixes show up.

Did they say they are going to just send it the replacement braces/tents to people who have already ordered or will we have to contact them again?

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Nov 12, 2018, 11:24 PM »
Did they say they are going to just send it the replacement braces/tents to people who have already ordered or will we have to contact them again?
That I'm not sure of, didn't think to ask. He knows I need all 3 of those parts once the fixes come through. Hoping the tent gets figured out quickly, I'm getting excited to get it, mod it, and be out on the ice again.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #244 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:21 AM »
That I'm not sure of, didn't think to ask. He knows I need all 3 of those parts once the fixes come through. Hoping the tent gets figured out quickly, I'm getting excited to get it, mod it, and be out on the ice again.

Okay, I guess I'll just reach out to them again if needed. I'm in the same boat, super excited to get this assembled, modded, and on the ice which is right around the corner here in MN.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #245 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:32 AM »

Who have you been talking to? I talked with a Gary? Yesterday about my tent being small and he said he was going to get the office in Missouri to send me new today.. I thought it wasn't going to be January until the new design tents were ready but reading this it sounds like Thanksgiving.  I'd be better off having them wait and just send me the new design..  worried whatever they send me today might be large.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #246 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:44 AM »

I'll bet you never hear a word from them, unless you make contact. When was the last time you ever had a producer/vendor contact you about a problem they had,unless it was something like a recall and you registered the product? (like an automobile).

I think they are being "stand up" taking care of these issues.  Great news from you guys that have had problems.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #247 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Well, I was hoping since I've already been working with them to fix issues with my sled, and that they already have my address on file with an open warranty claim, that they would proactively send me replacement parts for the other known issues people are having. I get what your saying though. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #248 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Who have you been talking to? I talked with a Gary? Yesterday about my tent being small and he said he was going to get the office in Missouri to send me new today.. I thought it wasn't going to be January until the new design tents were ready but reading this it sounds like Thanksgiving.  I'd be better off having them wait and just send me the new design..  worried whatever they send me today might be large.

I have been talking to Wandee. He is the Senior Product Manager who seems to be in charge of all these issues. He is in Missouri today working on getting the sled holes in the correct locations.  He said they are working on the tents now, never mentioned rain flaps or other upgrades, just consistency issues and quality control problems. He wasn't signing off on a new production run till he personally had it in his hands and checked it himself. Large retailers have contacted him about issues with the assembly of these, they build hundreds a year. So the few of us on here are just the tip of the iceberg with how many people are contacting them with problems.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #249 on: Nov 14, 2018, 02:44 AM »
I recieved an email from Wandee shortly after midnight. They figured out the tub problem, and will be sending me a new tub and there will be new directions for assembly.
Excited they are figuring it all out and fixes are happening fast. The local waters are getting a skim of ice!

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #250 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:00 AM »
Hmm, I haven't heard from him in awhile. Do you have contact info for him directly? You can PM it to me if you'd wish, I'd like to find out where mine is coming along, and see if I can get a tracking number.

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #251 on: Nov 14, 2018, 08:55 AM »
Hmm, I haven't heard from him in awhile. Do you have contact info for him directly? You can PM it to me if you'd wish, I'd like to find out where mine is coming along, and see if I can get a tracking number.

If you wouldn't mind passing it on to me also?

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #252 on: Nov 14, 2018, 03:18 PM »
Got an update from Wandee. They are working to get the tubs with the correctly placed holes and the new instructions sent out today already

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #253 on: Nov 17, 2018, 09:29 AM »
Just got my new sled this morning, and to my untrained eye, the drill holes don't look that much different. The rear hole for the seat rail might have been moved slightly, but it's hard to tell. The big difference I've seen so far is in the new set of instructions they sent. When installing the seat riser, they no longer want you to use the "M" spacer, and they specifically make note to hand tighten everything until the very end, then they have you tighten everything down.

One last thing I'll mention, they installed a new hyfax kit on the sled for me, which I was quite pleased with as that was a pain to install. But, they used different bolts then what the original hyfax kit that I bought used. These bolts stick up over the top of those grooves in the bottom of the sled. So much so that I am definitely going to have to grind the end of the bolt off or replace them.

Going to work on setting up everything later tonight or tomorrow, heading to the Blaine Hard Water expo today.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #254 on: Nov 17, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Good news! I hope mine comes in soon. Did they send you any kind of shipping notice?

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Nov 17, 2018, 11:55 AM »
They didn't send me anything, but I have an account with Fed Ex and they sent me an alert for everything coming to my address.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #256 on: Nov 17, 2018, 05:06 PM »
I'm out of town for most of the weekend, excited to see if my new tub is there. I forgot to order a hyfax kit, I'll just have to do it later, I want to get this all together, the local small lakes are all glazed over.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #257 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:32 AM »
Well, mine is fully assembled. The new instructions were on point. My tent seems to setup up fine. The little flaps that velcro onto the tub under your feet seem to be a little long? Is that the issue that everyone else has been having? I'm not sure how big of a deal that is but it would be nice if that lined up better. The folding brace definitely seems kinda flimsy, I'll probably contact them about having that replaced with the new design.

Other then that, this does seem a bit on the small side, a little smaller then I thought, but I'll have to get it on the ice and try it out before making my final judgments there.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #258 on: Nov 19, 2018, 01:28 PM »
Laer0302, glad to hear yours all fits together, atleast some of the tents are good and not all will need replaced. I'm still waiting on my new tub to show up. I just sent Wandee an email to see it there were any definite dates on the new folding braces and to see how the new tents are coming along. Hoping all these fixes are ready by first ice.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #259 on: Nov 19, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Well, mine is fully assembled. The new instructions were on point. My tent seems to setup up fine. The little flaps that velcro onto the tub under your feet seem to be a little long? Is that the issue that everyone else has been having? I'm not sure how big of a deal that is but it would be nice if that lined up better. The folding brace definitely seems kinda flimsy, I'll probably contact them about having that replaced with the new design.

Other then that, this does seem a bit on the small side, a little smaller then I thought, but I'll have to get it on the ice and try it out before making my final judgments there.

Did you have your tent on before the new tub came? I looked through but couldn’t find anything. Just wondering if the fit was better before vs after

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #260 on: Nov 19, 2018, 07:55 PM »
I got my new tub this afternoon, they installed hyfax runners on it for me, I appreciate that! Some of the hyfax bolts stick up pretty far, I may swap them out for alittle smoother inside the tub but its not essential or hurting anything.
I got everything all swapped over and installed to the new tub a few minutes ago. A few notes, If you have to go to the new tub from the old tub I had to remove the tent and disconnect all the hoops from the brackets. Also since they removed the spacer on the seat riser some of the bolts are now alittle long and stick out. I'll be taking a dremal to cut off the excess, I dont want gear or a coat sleeve catching on them. Everything fit though, the seat slides back and forth and the tent frame raises up and down.
The new folding braces should be here next week acording to an email I got today from Shappell. That will be two of the main issues fixed.
My big issue though which mistertwister just commented on is the tent. My tent still fits like garbage, no better no worse with the new sled, just super saggy and sloppy. In the email it said the new tents may not be ready for this season. He is working with the sewing facility to fix issues and hopes to tighten the tent up without lifting the front bar off the ice. They also realized they missed the storm flap and are making that adjustment. Not gonna lie, pretty disappointed in the lack enthusiasm for fixes on the tent this season. The silver tube fx100i version was perfectly tight and right down on the floor, so is my Fx200, this one it loose and wrinkled everywhere. I don't even care about the storm flaps, I just dont want to sit in a tent thats loose and flapping around me with delicate and expensive rods in it. I'm gonna take some pics and send them to Wandee tonight, then call him tomorrow and see what they are suggesting, I have a few ideas but I'll  talk to them first.
Side note: I was at Field&Stream last weekend and walked around all the flipovers not one of them had loose tent issues like this. I consider clam gear to be pretty junky stuff but even their tents were tight.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #261 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Wonder why they didn’t just stick with the silver bar model?thats the model i was going to buy in a heartbeat.a fx100 with a thermal tent is all it needed to be not some combled up mess that obviously was not ready to hit the market.what was so wrong with the first version of the fx100i?

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #262 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Wonder why they didn’t just stick with the silver bar model?thats the model i was going to buy in a heartbeat.a fx100 with a thermal tent is all it needed to be not some combled up mess that obviously was not ready to hit the market.what was so wrong with the first version of the fx100i?

I asked this question, nothing was really wrong with the silver bar version but the emt conduit is thin in general. So if a tent got caught in the wind or gear dropped on them and they bent, shipping a single piece bar was expensive and a pain. They didn't say this but I also think they were trying to expand the fish-able area and head room that's why they changed the tent to be bigger but with sag it's actually smaller. They also wanted to try and add new upgrades like the dog leg down to the ice and the velcro to hold the side portions of the tent on.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #263 on: Nov 19, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Did you have your tent on before the new tub came? I looked through but couldn’t find anything. Just wondering if the fit was better before vs after

No, I never got it assembled to the point where I could install the tent, figured I'd just wait for the new sled.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Nov 20, 2018, 08:28 AM »
I asked this question, nothing was really wrong with the silver bar version but the emt conduit is thin in general. So if a tent got caught in the wind or gear dropped on them and they bent, shipping a single piece bar was expensive and a pain. They didn't say this but I also think they were trying to expand the fish-able area and head room that's why they changed the tent to be bigger but with sag it's actually smaller. They also wanted to try and add new upgrades like the dog leg down to the ice and the velcro to hold the side portions of the tent on.

Hey Peccavi18, did you get my PM's I sent you last night? Should have been 3 total. I think my PM's aren't sending for some reason.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #265 on: Nov 20, 2018, 09:14 AM »
Hey Peccavi18, did you get my PM's I sent you last night? Should have been 3 total. I think my PM's aren't sending for some reason.
Yeah and I responded.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #266 on: Nov 20, 2018, 12:21 PM »
I just spent some time on the phone with Wandee talking about this tent and the issues its having. First, the fx100i is the only tent having these issues they updated  all of their models to the black tube  and none of the other ones are having any of these issues. I did ask and they are still selling the ones that shipped to stores already, they are al over and would be a pain to track down so they're not going to pull them back. Their warranty dept is ready to handle all issues but the tent so far and they did cease shipping the FX100I to retailers until they get the tent issue fixed. The new tubs are in, folding braces are being shipped next week, they are going to be alittle longer and thicker like the original fx100 version. The warranty dept is currently working on snap in wind braces for between the ground bar and the first hoop. The wind braces are an interim fix until they can get the tent issues worked out, but they should stop the sag and flapping of the front. They will be ready to ship in a week or two. The tents are all hand-sewn so depending on how tight the person held it or how they felt that day all the tents fit a little differently. Also some of the placements of the velcro on the sides for the tubes are not correctly located. These are the QC issues they are working on first. The rain flaps won't be on any of the tents until next year. The new prototypes will be back to them shortly but they want to test them in house and send them out with prostaff before they send them out to any of us only to have more issues.
I'm going to stick with it, I have time on my Sportsman's Guide satisfaction guarantee return so I want to see if these wind bars and braces can fix the issues.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #267 on: Nov 20, 2018, 01:12 PM »
I just spent some time on the phone with Wandee talking about this tent and the issues its having. First, the fx100i is the only tent having these issues they updated  all of their models to the black tube  and none of the other ones are having any of these issues. I did ask and they are still selling the ones that shipped to stores already, they are al over and would be a pain to track down so they're not going to pull them back. Their warranty dept is ready to handle all issues but the tent so far and they did cease shipping the FX100I to retailers until they get the tent issue fixed. The new tubs are in, folding braces are being shipped next week, they are going to be alittle longer and thicker like the original fx100 version. The warranty dept is currently working on snap in wind braces for between the ground bar and the first hoop. The wind braces are an interim fix until they can get the tent issues worked out, but they should stop the sag and flapping of the front. They will be ready to ship in a week or two. The tents are all hand-sewn so depending on how tight the person held it or how they felt that day all the tents fit a little differently. Also some of the placements of the velcro on the sides for the tubes are not correctly located. These are the QC issues they are working on first. The rain flaps won't be on any of the tents until next year. The new prototypes will be back to them shortly but they want to test them in house and send them out with prostaff before they send them out to any of us only to have more issues.
I'm going to stick with it, I have time on my Sportsman's Guide satisfaction guarantee return so I want to see if these wind bars and braces can fix the issues.

I just got off the phone with him as well, and described my issues. I've decided to return this shelter to Sportsman's Guide and go a different route. If I could have seen one setup and on display somewhere before I bought, I probably wouldn't have purchased one anyway, it's a little small for my liking, though I could have made do if everything went together smoothly. I told him I might be interested in purchasing one again next year as a light weight early season option once all the kinks are worked out, and they have the new tent with the rain guards, etc.

It's definitely a very lightweight shelter, and would definitely work as a early/late season shelter or when you have to hand pull the shelter.

Lastly, I do wanna say that Wandee and the rest of the customer service support staff there have been very helpful, and were very easy to work with, and were prepared to send me additional parts to get this to work had I decided to keep this shelter.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #268 on: Nov 20, 2018, 03:26 PM »
I just got my new sled this afternoon. I’ll probably try to get the framework installed today and finish in the morning, unless I get ambitious. I’ll report back  :tipup:

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #269 on: Nov 23, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Ok....through a lot of trial and error (tightening some stuff loosening others etc.) I got the framework put together, I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, this was a little trying. It seemed to me even after getting a new tub that things weren’t quite right. The frame didn’t seem to want to stack and balance. (Although after adding the tent i didn’t notice it) Today I finally got the tent fabric on. It seems to fit ok, although I already know the windbreak brackets will not hold, they already bowed on me while I was testing it. The tent is perfect in some spots, but I’ve got a lot of sag on the front side of the tent (door) and it seems when I fold it up or put it down there is a lot of tension on some of the Velcro straps (to the point where I’m unsure how long they will last before they tear the seam). The Velcro also seems to line up right on the screws so I just wonder how long before that wears through with how tight it is. Can anyone confirm, or have you seen the same type of stuff I described?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.