Author Topic: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)  (Read 51088 times)

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: SHAPPELL FX100I. FIRST GLANCE! (UPDATED)
« Reply #210 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:16 AM »
Well that sucks... Like you know I have the new 100i, I haven't had any missing parts but also not very far along setting it up and now worried I'm going to have big issues with the tent.  I was so sold on this shelter with all the reputation behind them and excited to get my first flip for a light weight run n gun vs my hub.  Was planning on completing it tonight when I got home but now I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle if its going to be a pos.  But a small part of me wants to set it up in hopes I didn't get a lemon, but I'm sure the odds are slim.  Hopefully I can return the hyfax I installed also. 
Not sure what I will do yet but have a time to decide. 

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #211 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:46 AM »
Well that sucks... Like you know I have the new 100i, I haven't had any missing parts but also not very far along setting it up and now worried I'm going to have big issues with the tent.  I was so sold on this shelter with all the reputation behind them and excited to get my first flip for a light weight run n gun vs my hub.  Was planning on completing it tonight when I got home but now I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle if its going to be a pos.  But a small part of me wants to set it up in hopes I didn't get a lemon, but I'm sure the odds are slim.  Hopefully I can return the hyfax I installed also. 
Not sure what I will do yet but have a time to decide.

Are your poles black powder coated, or silver? If they are silver, you got the first iteration, and are probably okay. If they are black, odds are that it's bad unit.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #212 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:47 AM »
was very glad to see improvements as they always have tried to do. seems like this round was rushed out a little too fast. i know some of it is made here and some offshore so mistakes can and will happen, but they will fix them for you. there won't be any more conduit/silver bar fx100's made or any other models after the conduit versions are sold out. if you find one, it is older stock like mine is.
i feel bad for those of you who have been inconvenienced. if you just give them a chance, they make right with you as always. the good part about all of this is the cost remains the same for features we get. i think it will be worth it when the wrinkles are gone.

been on the phone for 37 minutes with eagle claw. they all are avid ice fishermen/women and do read these boards. while talking with them i was given permission to say the following:

they have been testing the frame and tent for two years and went modular powder coated frame for shipping size for replacement parts. there were a few tubs with holes drilled wrong for the seat post, but has been addressed.

anyone having ANY type of issue is asked to call warranty department at 720-941-8723. they will make it right.

folding braces are defective and about a week out for free replacement.

wind flaps will be added to zippers. next production will be early january and changes will be made then such as wind/storm flaps on all zippers. they have a new manufacturer for tents and poles. same one for tubs that are made here.

free tent replacements for anyone unhappy with wind flap or leaky tents. (i would hold out for the wind/storm flap version if you can.)

the missing seat tubes are located inside the 3/4" seat slide tubes. just bang them on the ground and they will fall out.

i made a suggestion to call the new "improved version" deluxe as they did when they had the s3000/s4000 and then came out with the deluxe version and naming the improved version dx3000/dx4000 so we know what we are getting when shopping before hand. the s stood for standard version.

i explained what made shappell popular and that they need to try to keep those things going for us the best that they can.

Peccavi18: he said after looking at your situation, that the tent must be sewn incorrectly and call warranty for a replacement and to check if every thing else is ok.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Nov 07, 2018, 12:35 PM »
was very glad to see improvements as they always have tried to do. seems like this round was rushed out a little too fast. i know some of it is made here and some offshore so mistakes can and will happen, but they will fix them for you. there won't be any more conduit/silver bar fx100's made or any other models after the conduit versions are sold out. if you find one, it is older stock like mine is.
i feel bad for those of you who have been inconvenienced. if you just give them a chance, they make right with you as always. the good part about all of this is the cost remains the same for features we get. i think it will be worth it when the wrinkles are gone.

been on the phone for 37 minutes with eagle claw. they all are avid ice fishermen/women and do read these boards. while talking with them i was given permission to say the following:

they have been testing the frame and tent for two years and went modular powder coated frame for shipping size for replacement parts. there were a few tubs with holes drilled wrong for the seat post, but has been addressed.

anyone having ANY type of issue is asked to call warranty department at 720-941-8723. they will make it right.

folding braces are defective and about a week out for free replacement.

wind flaps will be added to zippers. next production will be early january and changes will be made then such as wind/storm flaps on all zippers. they have a new manufacturer for tents and poles. same one for tubs that are made here.

free tent replacements for anyone unhappy with wind flap or leaky tents. (i would hold out for the wind/storm flap version if you can.)

i made a suggestion to call the new "improved version" deluxe as they did when they had the s3000/s4000 and then came out with the deluxe version and naming the improved version dx3000/dx4000 so we know what we are getting when shopping before hand. the s stood for standard version.

i explained what made shappell popular and that they need to try to keep those things going for us the best that they can.

Peccavi18: he said after looking at your situation, that the tent must be sewn incorrectly and call warranty for a replacement and to check if every thing else is ok.

Hi 3300, thanks for the info. It's kinda strange to me though that if they read these boards, and see the issues we are having, why aren't they responding with any feedback? You'd think they would want to jump on these issues right away and offer some kind of reassurance and/or a procedure to have these issues fixed for us. I'm happy that you went out of your way to get us the info you provided above, but I would think that Eagle Claw/Shappell should have volunteered this info or added it themselves when they saw all the issues that we are having. I suppose it's possible they just haven't checked the forums yet since yesterday evening..

I'll call them when I get off work at 5pm and see what they have to say. It will take an awful lot of convincing/reassurance to get me to keep this shelter and not return it.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #214 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:25 PM »
That's good information 3300! I have always liked this brand and it is really the perfect 1 man for what I need. After looking at other comparable models which I have been for some time, there really isn't anything near this weight that offers a wider fishing area (that was my big reason for getting this) I loved my Rover 1, but 2 holes was a really tight fit and a pain in windy conditions. I suppose I'll wait for my riser, and attempt to put it together. If I have issues I'll call :tipup:

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #215 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:55 PM »
3300 I just got online and read about one line of your response and they called me back. Very nice guy, listened to my problems and he told me the exact same thing as what you have written. I just happen to have a list of compounding issues that they are willing to address. They had some tents that were sewn long and they're going to talk to their warehouse and make sure they find me a normal one. He said the new folding braces are about a week out and he will get me a new set of those. The tubs are  US made and drilled in house he said he's going to have quality control look at them and make sure the holes are going in the right places and there's a possibility I'll be getting a new tub as well. He wanted to talk to me first and then he was going to call his warehouses and quality control to make sure he can get me all the parts and he'll call me back tomorrow.  I also asked about the tubes and he said it's the exact same EMT conduit but the powder coating makes it thicker so it looks like a bigger tube since it's done inside and out. I also mentioned the new weight asking how much did it going up in weight and he said probably only a pound or two. I don't have an scale that I can easily set this on to weigh, to confirm or deny that. He seemed like he really wanted to make this right with me so I'm willing to work with them and see if we can get this fixed and working like it should.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #216 on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:20 PM »
3300 I just got online and read about one line of your response and they called me back. Very nice guy, listened to my problems and he told me the exact same thing as what you have written. I just happen to have a list of compounding issues that they are willing to address. They had some tents that were sewn long and they're going to talk to their warehouse and make sure they find me a normal one. He said the new folding braces are about a week out and he will get me a new set of those. The tubs are  US made and drilled in house he said he's going to have quality control look at them and make sure the holes are going in the right places and there's a possibility I'll be getting a new tub as well. He wanted to talk to me first and then he was going to call his warehouses and quality control to make sure he can get me all the parts and he'll call me back tomorrow.  I also asked about the tubes and he said it's the exact same EMT conduit but the powder coating makes it thicker so it looks like a bigger tube since it's done inside and out. I also mentioned the new weight asking how much did it going up in weight and he said probably only a pound or two. I don't have an scale that I can easily set this on to weigh, to confirm or deny that. He seemed like he really wanted to make this right with me so I'm willing to work with them and see if we can get this fixed and working like it should.

Glad to hear your talk with them went good. Did you talk about the seat at all? Both with how the seat rails don't align properly with sled, and the bench seat itself being way to long? I'll be calling them later this evening, provided they are still open after I get off work.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #217 on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Glad to hear your talk with them went good. Did you talk about the seat at all? Both with how the seat rails don't align properly with sled, and the bench seat itself being way to long? I'll be calling them later this evening, provided they are still open after I get off work.

He said the seat rails were off because of the quality control issues with drilling the tub. I never mentioned the seat itself because I haven't honestly had two risers to even make sure that mine's too wide but I also am thinking about the CGI stadium seat from Dicks so I'll probably swap in a 2x10 and cut it to whatever size I need

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:48 PM »
I'm not even super concerned with the tub I can always wallow out some holes and squeeze washers on both sides of it to make the seat parts all fit.
 I want to see some other people's tents on these though, I just can't imagine that mine would be  that much longer. Someone has to have the poles on that they can throw the tent over top.
 I also set my tent up in wind break position while I was talking to him because he said that's when the folding braces are known to fail so when I get home tonight I'll check that out.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #219 on: Nov 08, 2018, 08:34 AM »
I feel bad for those who had some major issues with the shelter and hope they get fixed. 

While I'm not completely done assembling mine yet, I'm at the very end and wanted to add a positive post saying I have not ran into any big issues or missing parts. A few of the assembly steps have been a PIA  but everything is coming together and I just have to attach the dog leg, folding bracket and then the tent.  Once I get everything complete I'll post more about the process and any tips I can think of.  Knock on wood, Hoping I didn't just jinx myself and there is an issue with one of the last steps.  ;)

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #220 on: Nov 08, 2018, 08:46 AM »
I feel bad for those who had some major issues with the shelter and hope they get fixed. 

While I'm not completely done assembling mine yet, I'm at the very end and wanted to add a positive post saying I have not ran into any big issues or missing parts. A few of the assembly steps have been a PIA  but everything is coming together and I just have to attach the dog leg, folding bracket and then the tent.  Once I get everything complete I'll post more about the process and any tips I can think of.  Knock on wood, Hoping I didn't just jinx myself and there is an issue with one of the last steps.  ;)

Cool, looks good! Interested to find out if your tent fits properly or not.

I spoke to the warranty dept yesterday evening, and they asked me to send them some pictures which I did, but haven't heard back from them yet. We'll see what they can do for me, but I think I'm going to need an entire new product.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #221 on: Nov 08, 2018, 09:36 AM »
When i spoke to them yesterday they didnt ask for pics but seemed to know my situation well, maybe they saw them on here?

Update on the folding braces. I locked them in while talking to him yesterday and let it set up in the Windbreak position overnight when I looked at it this morning the left side one was bowed in towards the center of the tub. I didn't have my phone with me to grab a pic. I put a flat hand against it and tried pushing it back to straighten it out and it instantly took an S curve bend. This is an issue they had talked to me about already they have a fix in the works, it is about a week out.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #222 on: Nov 08, 2018, 10:10 AM »
Update on the folding braces. I locked them in while talking to him yesterday and let it set up in the Windbreak position overnight when I looked at it this morning the left side one was bowed in towards the center of the tub. I didn't have my phone with me to grab a pic. I put a flat hand against it and tried pushing it back to straighten it out and it instantly took an S curve bend. This is an issue they had talked to me about already they have a fix in the works, it is about a week out.

That's not good! Suppose I'll have to give them a call so I can get the replacement ones.

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #223 on: Nov 08, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Just got off the phone the Shappell product manager. He said he is going to send me a brand new tub on Tuesday. Apparently he is flying out to the production site for the tubs in Missouri, to do another round of Quality Control. My tub was not drilled properly, and they want to make sure it's right before they send it out. Pretty happy about that. They are going to install a set of Hyfax on it as well and I can keep the old sled as well. Pretty pleased with this, and hopefully they get all of these issues ironed out going forward, so no one else has problems.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #224 on: Nov 08, 2018, 05:50 PM »
Just got off the phone the Shappell product manager. He said he is going to send me a brand new tub on Tuesday. Apparently he is flying out to the production site for the tubs in Missouri, to do another round of Quality Control. My tub was not drilled properly, and they want to make sure it's right before they send it out. Pretty happy about that. They are going to install a set of Hyfax on it as well and I can keep the old sled as well. Pretty pleased with this, and hopefully they get all of these issues ironed out going forward, so no one else has problems.

:clap:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #225 on: Nov 08, 2018, 07:08 PM »
Glad they are making good on these problems.  Maybe they were reading, here, and it helped.  :thumbsup:

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #226 on: Nov 08, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Well got it all put together and apparently my tent is a little to small  ???   I velcroed all the loops to the poles and a few areas of the tent got awfully tight. The fabric hardly reached the lip of the tub where you would secure it. At first thought maybe I just need to pull it down more but when I went to fold the shelter back into the wind block position it would only go 3/4 of the way back and then the tent got super tight and felt like the velcro would rip if it went any further.

I guess I'm not too worried based on everyone else's comments on talking to customer service, I'll be calling them tomorrow.  Sitting in the tent got me excited for the ice season and to use the flip over!

Dog leg for anyone curious:

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Nov 08, 2018, 11:44 PM »
Quick update, pretty impressed so far. I missed a call from Wandy today (Eagleclaw/Shappell contact, will call him back) but he left me a short voicemail asking me to look inside of the seat rails for my other seat riser. Sure enough my other one was stuck inside of there, a good crack to the ground and it was out. He said if I found it to try and set everything up. I installed the risers, nuts on loosely so I could shift things around, but I can not get the rails to line up with them. I'm including pics to show how far they are off, again all nuts and bolts are loose and this is me trying with some pressure to try and align it. Seems like me and laer0302 are dealing with tubs that have the same issues with the incorrectly drilled holes. I did also just notice the bolt from the one frame bracket to the seat riser is short. All the powder coat damage was on the seat rail when pulled out of the bag in a box from shipping.

Here is how much the hole from the seat rail is off from the riser.

This post isn't meant to bash them I'm actually impressed with how they've kept in contact with us and how they want to make this right. They seem to know about the issues I just figured having my pictures on here since we're told their watching this thread would give them a visual of the problems I have encountered. I hope they can figure out the issues, I'd love to see this live up to the hype it came in with.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #228 on: Nov 08, 2018, 11:56 PM »
Well got it all put together and apparently my tent is a little to small  ???   I velcroed all the loops to the poles and a few areas of the tent got awfully tight. The fabric hardly reached the lip of the tub where you would secure it. At first thought maybe I just need to pull it down more but when I went to fold the shelter back into the wind block position it would only go 3/4 of the way back and then the tent got super tight and felt like the velcro would rip if it went any further.

I guess I'm not too worried based on everyone else's comments on talking to customer service, I'll be calling them tomorrow.  Sitting in the tent got me excited for the ice season and to use the flip over!

Sounds like me and you need to swap tents HAHA.
 I did have to open up the side velcro pretty loose, its positioned right on top of the bolts that connect the tubes together and seemed to get stuck on them when opened or stowed. How was the front of your tent? Did it hang excessively? 
I sat in the silver one a few times I was very impressed on how quick the insulated fabric made it to hot in there. I  still cant wait for hard water.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:09 AM »
Any word on if Eagle Claw is pulling these bad units off shelves?

Catchin' Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #230 on: Nov 09, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Sounds like me and you need to swap tents HAHA.
 I did have to open up the side velcro pretty loose, its positioned right on top of the bolts that connect the tubes together and seemed to get stuck on them when opened or stowed. How was the front of your tent? Did it hang excessively? 
I sat in the silver one a few times I was very impressed on how quick the insulated fabric made it to hot in there. I  still cant wait for hard water.

haha sounds like we got both extremes of the tent sizing. 
I wouldn't say it was excessive, it was loose but that is expected if it isn't tightened down around the lip of the tub.  I had the door open and was surprised how much it was heating up just in the few minutes I was in there.

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Nov 09, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Any word on if Eagle Claw is pulling these bad units off shelves?

Have to wonder how many people bought one and are having the same problems as those talked about here.  I also wonder if there are any at all in all the stores that carry them that don't have these problems.
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline campingonh2o

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #232 on: Nov 09, 2018, 09:27 AM »
Not the same unit, but I purchased a flip over shanty a couple years ago. When i was putting it together some of the holes would not line up. It was the hoop portion (or bow section if that's what you would call it) to the straight tube connections. I called manufacture they sent me all new tubes and hoops. When i went to install them the holes did not line up on the new ones either. After thinking it over I flipped the hoop section around and all holes lined up.  Again not same unit as this but something to possible look at. The poles may work better on left then right etc...

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #233 on: Nov 09, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Not the same unit, but I purchased a flip over shanty a couple years ago. When i was putting it together some of the holes would not line up. It was the hoop portion (or bow section if that's what you would call it) to the straight tube connections. I called manufacture they sent me all new tubes and hoops. When i went to install them the holes did not line up on the new ones either. After thinking it over I flipped the hoop section around and all holes lined up.  Again not same unit as this but something to possible look at. The poles may work better on left then right etc...

Flipped, flopped, switched, no luck

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:50 PM »
Yeah, same here.  I tried installing it in many different ways with no luck. Just got a tub that wasn't drilled properly.

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Nov 09, 2018, 01:58 PM »
Laer0302, have you tried your tent yet to see how it fits?

Offline laer0302

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #236 on: Nov 09, 2018, 02:34 PM »
No I haven't gotten that far yet. After I had so many issues with the seat assembly I stopped assembling the rest of it. Plus I've been busy deer hunting the last week or so as well and haven't had time.

Probably work on it some more next week. Will let you know how it works out.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #237 on: Nov 09, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Ok I'll update my situation. I took Peccavi18's advice and checked the seat rail, sure enough the other riser was stuck in one of them. So I figured I would try getting the framework together to see if I got one of the bad tubs. I'm assuming I did because I left everything a little loose (finger tight) to see if I could manipulate it a little, as soon as I tightened the framework down for the seat the tub bowed outward slightly, the slide rails were at a slight angle pointing in towards the center of the sled, so I loosened everything back up.
So now here are my questions....
1. Can anyone with a  bad tub confirm what I saw with the tub bowing etc.?
2. Is there someone specific I can ask for with customer service that is aware of this particular situation?
3. Should I ask about the faulty bracket for the wind stop position as well? I'm assuming I got bad ones

Thanks in advance boys! :tipup:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #238 on: Nov 09, 2018, 02:55 PM »
So all these shappell/eagle claw shelters on the market and in stores are all faulty?eagle claw needs to get them all back and start over.i dont like that they knew brackets and other stuff was faulty and put them out...making it right yeah but why sell them like that.not cool at all.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #239 on: Nov 09, 2018, 03:02 PM »
So all these shappell/eagle claw shelters on the market and in stores are all faulty?eagle claw needs to get them all back and start over.i dont like that they knew brackets and other stuff was faulty and put them out...making it right yeah but why sell them like that.not cool at all.

I agree with you, I guess quality control is way off....or we are some of the lucky ones that just got the faulty shelters. I don't know how their company operates with assembling shelters randomly to make sure everything is ok, but it sounds like they are on top of fixing the situation and making things right with customers which is pretty hard to find these days, most times you can't even get a response. All I know is I'm glad I've been on this site for so long and started watching this thread when I ordered mine, if I didn't I'd be totally lost

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.