Author Topic: Running your flasher off Milwaukee M18's  (Read 37056 times)

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
Running your flasher off Milwaukee M18's
« on: Dec 04, 2017, 10:22 AM »
Hey guys,

Starting a build to install my FLX-28 into a rifle/rod holder case.  I've seen that the Milwaukee M18 red lithium batteries can be converted to 12v for their M12 Jacket.  Has anyone tried running their flasher from the M18 power source?  I'd imagine the high demand 9.0 batteries and maybe the 5.0xc batteries would last longer than a lead/acid 9amp hour, especially in the cold..

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Running your flasher off Milwaukee M18's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:01 AM »
I would assume there is going to be a net loss when converting from 18v down to 12v.
Cheese Head

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:24 AM »
Here's the adapter. It'll work for the power jack in the coat, not sure how much rigging you'd have to do for the Vex.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:32 AM »
I would assume there is going to be a net loss when converting from 18v down to 12v.

A 5.0 a/h batt at 18V will be a 7.5 a/h batt at 12V.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2017, 11:44 AM »
Thanks Slayer.  How about the 9.0 high demand?  These seem to have noticable oomph when running the drill, not sure why, you'd think they'd match the 5.0XC and just run longer..  Has anyone checked whether the output from the adapter is greater than 12.2 on the 9.0HD?

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2017, 02:44 PM »
Did you rig yours to run your Marcum yet?  Curious to see your wiring/connections when you get it up and running...
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:18 PM »

Anytime you convert power there is a loss. Energy loss is an unavoidable part of energy conversion systems. Although a 100% efficient system is not achievable, well-designed power supplies can achieve efficiencies that are quite remarkable, approaching percentages in the mid to high 90s.
Cheese Head

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2017, 03:42 PM »
You're absolutely right.  Sure there's 12v lithium batteries that can power the flashers efficiently however, i'm running these red lithium batts for the lantern/phone charger/Milwaukee Drill/auger:ice stakes.  Now i'd like to throw one in the rod holder and throw the flasher in too.  They seem to stretch out pretty well even in the cold.  Found a deal today on a couple 9's that might make this the way to go for me, for now.

Curious as to the comparison though of your standard lead 9amp hour batt on the flasher vs. a red lithium 18v 9amp/hour batt.  The home depot near the house didn't have the converter on-hand but soon as I have one we'll test it out and see.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Anytime you convert power there is a loss. Energy loss is an unavoidable part of energy conversion systems. Although a 100% efficient system is not achievable, well-designed power supplies can achieve efficiencies that are quite remarkable, approaching percentages in the mid to high 90s.

yes Iagree some loss will occur, but it will be negligible, not noticeable.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:14 PM »
Curious as to the comparison though of your standard lead 9amp hour batt on the flasher vs. a red lithium 18v 9amp/hour batt. 
As a rule of thumb, 9 amp/hour is 9 amp/hour.
Doesn't really matter what type of battery construction it is.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:22 PM »
As a rule of thumb, 9 amp/hour is 9 amp/hour.
Doesn't really matter what type of battery construction it is.

Assuming voltage remains the same, that is true..

<°)))>{

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2017, 09:42 PM »
Well, yes I got caught up in this topic.   So, I did some research. Here is the results.
1. buck step down regulator.   various input voltage to various output voltage. about 4- 10 buck.. ebay either domestic or from our friends in china.
        Draw back     maybe some elec interfer.
2. Linear voltage regulator.  Again a cheapie.  a couple of bucks   ( same sources )
        Draw back ---  heat.  However.   No noise.
So, where am I now. Probably in the neither, for a while.  I am going to test them both to see what floats my boat. I will report the   good, bad and ugly.
I am not going to risk my helix 7 and camera likely.  Patience is a virtue ( so they say )   whoever they are.
Be patience my brothers.  Stuff from China takes a while to make it to upstate ny.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:25 AM »
There's got to be a cheap, safe, reliable way to do this. People "risk" their phones every day plugging in to their vehicle 12v with a $2 step down converter to 5v USB to phone. I'm not an electrical engineer but it can't be rocket science.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:56 AM »

There's got to be a cheap, safe, reliable way to do this. People "risk" their phones every day plugging in to their vehicle 12v with a $2 step down converter to 5v USB to phone. I'm not an electrical engineer but it can't be rocket science.

I paid $28 for the M-18 power source. Cheap and reliable.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:06 AM »
Looks like all you really need is a 5mm female pigtail, alligator clips, the power converter and some solder or electrical tape.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:09 AM »

I paid $28 for the M-18 power source. Cheap and reliable.

Same here, 12V, 5V, works great, makes a pretty fast phone charger... Mine gets used every day..

<°)))>{

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:19 AM »
In order to reduce voltage in any power supply. A variable resistor is normally used in a simple DC circuit. The variable resistor is adjusted in this case to 6V .  Permitting the Vex to operate at 12 volts. However the resistor fixed or variable uses power so would contribute to power drain.

The load demand on the Vex is determined by its internal circuitry. Load demand is its operating /normal amperage draw. To make it easy let us assume an amperage draw of 1 amp. Starting with an 18Volt battery and 1 amp of current = Ohms Law  18 V X 1A = 18 Watts   A 12 V X 1A= 12 watts. So the 18 volt battery would use more power (watts ) and would not last as long as an equally AH rated 12 volt battery.

Electronics is a lot like life . You cannot get something for nothing. I fail to see any advantage using the 18 volt battery. Just because you can doesn't make it a good move.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline BeenShanty

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:36 AM »
Thanks for the response Hays.  The common thought is that it's a lithium battery designed for cold and may allow it to stretch about the same.  As well I have more of these batteries and more equipment that runs on them already.. yet point taken. 

Performing a timed test below freezing soon as I get my hands on the power source.  I have a "lightly used" lead battery and new 9.0 red lithium batts so results should be even up depending on how long they each last vs. ambient temp.. the trickiest might be testing same day during temp fluctuation.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2017, 09:57 AM »
p.. the trickiest might be testing same day during temp fluctuation.

Put them in the refridgerator to even out temp fluctuations
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:01 AM »
I fail to see any advantage using the 18 volt battery. Just because you can doesn't make it a good move.

Huge weight decrease, already have them on board, and....

Mine will last forever muwaaahahaha...

<°)))>{

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:03 AM »
g. I fail to see any advantage using the 18 volt battery. Just because you can doesn't make it a good move.

We are doing this because we already HAVE the 18v batteries used in our M-18 augers. Why not get rid of the EXTREMELY heavy lead acid batt in the Marcum and use the batts already on hand?  Seems like a damn good move to me-

And your math is wrong. NOT using 18v, using 12 volt from an 18v supply. ;D

9 ah from an 12 volt battery will equal about 12ah from an 18 volt battery. Higher the voltage the less amps needed-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #22 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:32 AM »
All this is doing is giving me an excuse to buy a 9ah battery for my Helix 7.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:43 AM »
Only reason to run lead-acid is cause they are cheap.  $20 vs. $150?
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 05, 2017, 06:36 PM »
All this is doing is giving me an excuse to buy a 9ah battery for my Helix 7.

That's what I'm starting to think.

Only reason to run lead-acid is cause they are cheap.  $20 vs. $150?

You need to shop. I found the 9ah MKE battery for under $90 (but you gotta be there and quick on the trigger). I bought into a pair of 5ah w/charger for < $100.

Got the K-drill, batteries, charger, shopping for the mud mixer. No reason to power with anything but MKE batteries. Except I bought a pair of Dakota 10ah LiFPo...

I'll never be underpowered.  ;)2
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 05, 2017, 06:47 PM »
The price of drill batteries has been getting better and better over the last 20 years..

Those old nicads sometimes cost more than the original price of the tool with the battery...lol

Now its almost down to $10/1ah...

<°)))>{

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:45 PM »
Load does not have to be vexilar. Go to radio shack  . Pick up 2 600 ohm resistor rated above .5 amp flow and two 12 volt lights. Wire two independent series circuit with bulb and resistor in each circuit. Start both at same time first light that goes out is the loser. Could do test in refrigerator to simulate ice fishing conditions.
G.E.F.M

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 05, 2017, 10:57 PM »
Load does not have to be vexilar.

True...

Couple light bulbs of the right wattage would do it..

Couple fog lights or whatever else you might already have..

<°)))>{

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:24 PM »

Scratch the resistors idea bigger resistors in watt ratings are expensive. Hook up any 12 volt light a pair will do in parallel.But the larger the wattage the faster the test. Just make sure both circuits are equal in every way except for battery of course.

By the way not an electronics engineer. I worked with the guys that had to make the crap work that the engineers designed. So really familiar with Ohms law. Even our DA Congress can't repeal that.
G.E.F.M

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2017, 12:06 AM »
And your math is wrong. NOT using 18v, using 12 volt from an 18v supply. ;D

So you are installing an 18 Volt battery in your car ? You do not have a basic understanding of electricity. If you put a difference of potential (voltage) across any load it will use whatever that voltage .  In this case all 18 volts. Amperage is a different story you can connect a light load to a 200 AH battery and it will only draw what it needs.

Over and under voltages causes problems on solid state circuits. IC chips , diodes and almost all solid state devices operate on biasing. The 300-700 vexilar may be designed to run on 12-20 volts. But it may not. Hate to see someone fry their expensive flasher .I think a cheaper and safer  fix in the long run. Would be a Lifepo4 lithium ion battery. The dakota 12volt 9ah was offered on here in a group buy.

Since I don't own a Milwaukee 18 volt battery. I can't say the Dakota is lighter. But the difference would be not significant. Cheaper in the long run because while way more expensive than lead acid. They do last way longer.
G.E.F.M

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.