Author Topic: Trouble getting 5 pound tank filled  (Read 11742 times)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Trouble getting 5 pound tank filled
« Reply #60 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:29 PM »
ok so I'm no good at math.lol if my 11 pound tank is empty..how much should  it weigh after filling it up?i don't think I can overfill it from filling it from my 20 pounder but..

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:31 PM »
But the refillable one pounders are a good idea. I've had the "not refillable" ones swell on me after several fills. But at 20 dollars per one pounder, a 35 dollar 5 pounder makes better sense.

I bought three on Amazon for $9.97 and three more from Home Depot for $12.97.  They pay for themselves in no time.  78 cents to fill one up from my bulk tank.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347632.msg3701976#msg3701976

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:46 PM »
This is where I read about the fines,etc.; right on Coleman’s label.

Look up the code. It is a general statement about transportation of hazardous materials that they may be able to charge you with, but says nowhere about the transportation of propane. I will study this diligently and post it here.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #63 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:50 PM »
I bought three on Amazon for $9.97 and three more from Home Depot for $12.97.  They pay for themselves in no time.  78 cents to fill one up from my bulk tank.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=347632.msg3701976#msg3701976

DN

They HAVE come down in price. A little bit more attractive at that price.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:53 PM »
ok so I'm no good at math.lol if my 11 pound tank is empty..how much should  it weigh after filling it up?i don't think I can overfill it from filling it from my 20 pounder but..

What do the numbers on the tank for "WT" and "WC" say?

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Dec 05, 2017, 04:55 PM »

SPECKLER, take the WC# and multiply by .336.  That will equal what the propane should weigh.  Add that number to the WT#.  That’s what the full tank should weigh.

DN

8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #66 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:02 PM »
SRECKLER, take the WC# and multiply by .336.  That will equal what the propane should weigh.  Add that number to the WT#.  That’s what the full tank should weigh.

DN
ok thanks,im going to dig it out of my garage and do a quick number check and fill it.heck even at 3/4 full a 11 pound pancake tank should last quite a long time.it came with a sunflower heater attached to it. 11# tank/heater and about half full of prop for 5 bucks..oh yeah.lol

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Dec 05, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Half full when you bought it? I would just burn that first.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #68 on: Dec 05, 2017, 06:10 PM »
Half full when you bought it? I would just burn that first.
yeah I will..garage sale find.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 05, 2017, 06:11 PM »
Since we are fishing in cold weather not hot, having a little bit over fill would not be much of a problem. I would think filling a 5 Lb tank with 5 Lbs of propane would work just fine. Now if it were 100° degree's outside and sun shinning on it, maybe not.

You might have missed this.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=309361.msg3239325#msg3239325

<°)))>{

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Dec 05, 2017, 06:24 PM »
Good post Scratcher.  X2  It absolutely can and does happen.  Real life stories of near catastrophe tend to wake people up.  Thankfully... ;)

DN

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 05, 2017, 06:31 PM »
Good post Scratcher.  X2  It absolutely can and does happen.  Real life stories of near catastrophe tend to wake people up.  Thankfully... ;)

DN

Thanks DN

Near catastrophe is right, felt like a catastrophe at that moment...

<°)))>{

Offline Team Rapo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:10 PM »
This whole thread was a solid read. Everyone's links, info and Ice Scratchers story, I don't smoke but sketchy crap none the less. I went the 5 pounder route a couple years ago. Too annoyed to deal with one pounders and bother refilling them, but on a good ice year I get sick of going to costco to buy $3.5 of propane every two trips. I think ill be buying an adapter to refill my 5 pounder from a 20 and reduce the costco runs. Great info guys, I vote sticky.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 06, 2017, 05:12 AM »

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:02 AM »
That's where I got mine. I posted that as a W.T.F. kind of thing. Either it was a mistake or misprint, or those people are out of their flippin minds!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:46 AM »
That's where I got mine. I posted that as a W.T.F. kind of thing. Either it was a mistake or misprint, or those people are out of their flippin minds!
LOL yeah, I sometimes wonder how people fall for those outrageously priced items.  I had a buddy buy a shanty on eBay a few years ago about $300 over retail becuase he didn't know any better.  I let him be excited about it and didn't want to ruin his day by telling him...

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Dec 06, 2017, 07:56 AM »

I can't really help you with this, but I use an 11lber all year for camping and ice fishing. When I have it filled from empty it's always 2.4 gallons.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 06, 2017, 08:46 AM »
Here's what I have found out on the law so far....and it was a LONG, dry read .. 

(49 U.S.C. 5124) This federal code is a general rule and applies to ALL hazmat transportation. 

Here is where they might get you for refilling 1 pounders....
The one pound tank does not have cylinder test date stamped on the bottle. Therefore it cannot be refilled and then transported legally.  If you have a 5 pounder that is out of date, the same rules will apply. If you refill it, you cannot transport it. If you are caught the same penalties could apply as with the one pound bottle. Now of course they will have to prove you refilled it. If you don't admit to it, there is very little then can do to prove it.

Most of the regulation is pertaining to the release of hazardous materials. If you transport an up-to-date 20 pounder unsecured or laying on its side, and it bounces out of your pickup bed, and someone hits it and blows them up, you can be charged under (49 U.S.C. 5124). If you transport gasoline in an unapproved container, (49 U.S.C. 5124) could apply. If you transport used motor oil to the recycler in an old milk jug, (49 U.S.C. 5124) could apply.

Now it could be argued that (49 U.S.C. 5124) only applies to interstate commerce.....

(b) Regulations for Safe Transportation.—(1) The Secretary shall prescribe regulations for the safe transportation, including security, of hazardous material in intrastate, interstate, and foreign commerce. The regulations—
(A) apply to a person who—
(i) transports hazardous material in commerce;
(ii) causes hazardous material to be transported in commerce;
(iii) designs, manufactures, fabricates, inspects, marks, maintains, reconditions, repairs, or tests a package, container, or packaging component that is represented, marked, certified, or sold as qualified for use in transporting hazardous material in commerce;
(iv) prepares or accepts hazardous material for transportation in commerce;
(v) is responsible for the safety of transporting hazardous material in commerce;
(vi) certifies compliance with any requirement under this chapter; or
(vii) misrepresents whether such person is engaged in any activity under clause (i) through (vi);

Of course State or local law could apply also.

(49 U.S.C.) goes on and on. Deals with background checks for Hazmat truck drivers and issues with labeling and packaging.  If you want to read it, I suggest a full pot of coffee before you start!

www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2011-title49/html/USCODE-2011-title49-subtitleIII-chap51.htm

Now, for a good argument against filling disposables. This is a Canadian study called...
"Feasibility  Study  of  Comprehensive Collection  and  Recycling  Programs  for Single-use  Propane  Cylinders  in  Canada".

In this 2006 study I found this....

"There are two main differences between refillable cylinders and non-refillable cylinders.  Refillable cylinders are uniformly heat-treated after all forming and welding operations.  The steel is thicker and the cylinder is equipped with an overflow protection device.   Heat treatment increases the elasticity of the cylinder allowing it to be refilled time after time.  A single-use cylinder cannot be refilled because their structure is such that they will rupture when under the stress of refilling".
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.nrcan.gc.ca/files/mineralsmetals/pdf/mms-smm/busi-indu/rad-rad/pdf/prop-tan-fr-eng.pdf

The refill adapters in Canada, or at least some provinces,  are in fact illegal.

I went out and checked some of my one pounders. I found 2 of them that are slightly bulged above and below the middle seam. You can feel it better then you can see it, but it is noticeable.

Those two will be disposed of when empty.

I will still refill my one pounders as needed, but will limit to 2 or 3 refills. Will definitely keep a close eye on them.  I will end up getting a couple of  refillable ones. Which will also have an test date good for 12 years from new. But with the 5 pound tank I have now, i won't need them as often. Just for lanterns and torch.

I don't like to throw away anything that is still useful. And the cost to recycle a one pound tank is more then the price to make a new one. What it will come to is you will have to pay an up front disposal fee for every one you buy. That, and I don't like paying 13 dollars a gallon for propane. That's what you pay around here when you buy disposables.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #79 on: Dec 06, 2017, 11:05 AM »
take a loss on the 5# tank and go with a 20# tank. Yes it is a little bulkier and heavier but you wont have to worry about running out as often. Also no worries about refilling it. Im doing that this year, last year used 1# tanks. I got tired of running out and the cost was a lot more. I tried refilling them and didnt like the results so I bought the hose for my buddy heater.

Offline FG Steve

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 06, 2017, 11:29 AM »
take a loss on the 5# tank and go with a 20# tank. Yes it is a little bulkier and heavier but you wont have to worry about running out as often. Also no worries about refilling it. Im doing that this year, last year used 1# tanks. I got tired of running out and the cost was a lot more. I tried refilling them and didnt like the results so I bought the hose for my buddy heater.

I really like my 11#.  It was a good compromise and the Big Buddy runs a long, long time on it.
 Happiness is a wife who can outfish you.

Online aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 07, 2017, 07:22 AM »
 I second the 10lb tank for most usefull, last day and a half with big buddy on high all day. Have a 5 lb tank for when I have to walk out on thin ice and want less weight. I fill up all my tanks by the gallon, takes a little while to find the places that do that, but so much more handy, I have two 10lb and a 5 so I can fill them all at one time and the guys don't get as bothered by it. though my guys find my small tanks comical and don't mind filling them.
 ;D
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.