Author Topic: early ice  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Jig60389

• IceShanty Rookie
early ice
« on: Nov 29, 2017, 11:27 AM »
Looking at the extended weather forecast its looking good for some early ice. Whats everyone's guess for safe ice this year, 4''+, Im going with Christmas week for smaller ponds and first week in January for the larger ones, if the weather forecast is somewhat accurate which we know can be a little off.

BrookieSlayer99

Re: early ice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2017, 12:35 PM »
This week isn't going to be particularly conductive for ice making... Winni is still 44* which is pretty warm for this late in the year. I'd love to get a couple trips in before Christmas for rainbows though!  All we can do is hope for a polar vortex :tipup:

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:56 PM »
?  No early ice this year .  We are already three weeks behind last year.   I've stocked lots of cheap whisky and chocolate donuts in my cave and wait for the first sound of booming ice!
Dick

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2017, 02:58 PM »
Yup, early ice to me means some fishing on small ponds up north by Thanksgiving. Not happening this year! Now we are struggling for normal season ice! Todays temps are not good for that!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2017, 05:13 PM »
?  No early ice this year .  We are already three weeks behind last year.   I've stocked lots of cheap whisky and chocolate donuts in my cave and wait for the first sound of booming ice!
Dick

Dick, Do you dunk the donuts in the cheap whiskey ??  ;D

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Looking that way... I'm usually on my favorite early spot between the 10th and 20th of Dec. Not too promising now but we can all cross our fingers for ridiculously cold weather!  I can't help but daydream constantly...  I'll be dry jigging in the shed soon for sure  ;D
Let it freeze

Offline WhiteMTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2017, 06:06 PM »
This was today.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2017, 06:59 PM »
Thanks for keeping us posted i recognize that place. Now i dont have to drive up to see its not frozen
Salmonemia

Offline McGrath

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SHINERS FOR SALE
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2017, 07:03 PM »
Fished today on a small pond. Bethlehem Nh.  Tryed to post a picture but did not work. Though after the rains came through the ice didn't look so good.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2017, 06:21 AM »
Fished today on a small pond. Bethlehem Nh.  Tryed to post a picture but did not work. Though after the rains came through the ice didn't look so good.

Was that your post on FB?     I seriously hope it doesn’t encourage people to start venturing out onto ice...it’s to early
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:35 AM »

Get off the ice!  I don't want to lose my favorite bait source.
Dick

Offline lil_coondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2017, 07:39 AM »

Be safe

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak, so we must and we will."
-Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Was that your post on FB?     I seriously hope it doesn’t encourage people to start venturing out onto ice...it’s to early

At what point does this society start taking personal responsibility for safety??? 

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2017, 02:54 PM »
Never heard you get your quills up. Why does this subject bother you so much?  IS is kind of a brotherhood.  I thought we all wanted to keep our younger members off unsafe ice??
Older members with chisel in hand should be able to take care of themselves.
Dick

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:45 PM »
At what point does this society start taking personal responsibility for safety???

I’m not taking personal responsibility for anyone never have or will....I have enough problems of my own.
 To each their own..

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline McGrath

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SHINERS FOR SALE
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:01 PM »
Yes, that way my post on FB. I always make sure I put in my posts to be safe, check ice and I take no liability.   I got to think people are smart enough not to assume a few ponds are good the whole lake is safe.

Dick-- Bait will be in next week, hopefully. New shed this year and tons of more bait storage. Will also be having large suckers and goldens in January.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Yes, that way my post on FB. I always make sure I put in my posts to be safe, check ice and I take no liability.   I got to think people are smart enough not to assume a few ponds are good the whole lake is safe.

Dick-- Bait will be in next week, hopefully. New shed this year and tons of more bait storage. Will also be having large suckers and guldens in January.

Did you catch anything ??  :)

Offline McGrath

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SHINERS FOR SALE
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2017, 08:38 PM »
Nothing, but you when I got my flag, you could see down the hole with the little sun fish pulling the worms. Today I did some jigging, at a few spots but over all only fished under a hour at two different places. I think by next week will be in better shape. The ice is very variable.

-Chris

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2017, 10:50 AM »
Chris??  Your fishing on 2" of ice.   A week from now you will be able to spread out and send us some pictures!!
Dick

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2017, 06:20 AM »
We took a ride up to the lake we fish on and indeed it was frozen over, very promising for pre holiday ice... we quickly walked around a little bit on a shallow bay and then got off the ice just as fast. No where was it ready for fishing. But we were pretty psyched. This little warm-up and rain doesn't look like it will be a problem as it should cool down right away and with cold nights we should be in business in a couple of weeks... maybe 10 days :o)

New bobhouse from the fabrication guys on the seacoast, getting it outfitted with the basics... looking forward to its initiation... cheers

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2017, 08:12 AM »
accu weateher looks very promising, multiple days below freezing

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2017, 11:22 AM »
I might venture out, if for nothing other than testing ice thickness when the conditions improve.
As of right now it won't be for another week or so, but then things change for the better just in time for the end of the year!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.