Author Topic: Drill  (Read 407 times)

Offline idaho-grizz

• IceShanty Rookie
Drill
« on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:17 PM »
Help a old guy out , I haven't ice fished that much so need some help on a few question I had a hand old auger, but because of shoulders I decided to get a drill and put a auger on it. Today I found a Dewalt 996 with a 5 amp battery and charger for 149.00 Will this work I have a couple of 20 amp  smaller battery that will work on it too Is this a ok deal also what auger would you put on it. Mainly fish parish  and trout to 20 in thanks grizz

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Drill
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:39 PM »
A good 6 inch auger is all you need now ...run your 996 with the 5ah battery ...plenty of fish fit through a 6 in hole .  I ran a 995 ...clam plate and 6 in SM  lazer ....LOVED IT . This season 995 ..a newr model clam plate an 8 in Kdrill.. The Lazers can hang up some ...its a learning curve ...a good Mora 6 in will work if you have any concerns ...also need an adapter ..

https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Power-Ice-Auger-Adapter-Shaft?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_Shopping_PLA&utm_term=1100008794469&utm_content=All%20Products&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NX_Shopping_PLA&utm_term=1100008794469&utm_content=All%20Products
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:42 PM »
the dewalt 996 is the drill you want or a Milwaukee Fuel18. it is what is recommend for hand augers now days. also since you said you had shoulder issues you might want to consider the Clam Drill plate to put the drill and auger on. it gives you a better control and holding ability over just the drill and auger by it self. with the 996, plate and auger you will be right around 15lbs with a 6 inch auger and if you step up to a 8 inch then it is more like 19lbs.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:54 PM »
All you need is a 6 inch auger.  an 8 inch hole involves  having to remove just short of twice as much ice as a 6. The thing is the area of the circle. pi X r squared. r for a 6 is 3. 3 x 3 = 9. For 8 it's 4. 4 x 4 = 16. 16 is not quite double of 9 but it's getting real close. Dave Genz once said "If you find a lake where the fish are too big for a 6 inch hole you MUST tell me where it is.

Offline straightShot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2017, 04:59 PM »
Remember to take a look at the torque of the various drills that are available.  There are some combo deals for compact drill motors paired with other tools, but from what I've seen these tend to be less expensive models with less torque that are packaged with another tool.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:20 PM »
Higher the ah the longer run time on the batteries. When drilling holes all you need is a little downward pressure to keep the auger from skipping across the ice. The laser is very aggressive and tends to catch at the bottom. Nils is very smooth. I can't comment on mora or other hand augers cause I haven't tried them.

Offline theangling1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:48 PM »
Definitely get the clam adaptor, makes for a sweet setup.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.