Author Topic: Best pan fish rod  (Read 1883 times)

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best pan fish rod
« on: Nov 25, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Ok I am sure there are a lot of different opinions on this, but what is your favorite? I was looking at purchasing the snitch by no. 8 tackle or a Fenwick elite tech. What are your thoughts???

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Best pan fish rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2017, 09:26 PM »
The snitch is way to stiff IMO.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2017, 09:43 PM »
It's part presentation and part how big the year class the fish you're after.  Then your personal preference drives the deciding factor.

I have been using a Thorn Bros panfish rod for years and it's my preference for custom made baitcasting reel setup.  Going to retail it's a St Croix Premier UL or ML for the most presentations on the spinning reels setup.

I'm a tackle junkie so I did impulsively purchased a 13 Wicked UL in 27" and St Croix Mojo ML and L in 28" rods. I didn't buy the 13 Wicked in ML because it felt way too close to a M power.  Compared to the 13 Wicked in in M power it really looks like the same blank, just a longer tip section.

Those Fenwick rods do look awesome but I haven't bought any of them.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2017, 09:57 PM »
Ok I am sure there are a lot of different opinions on this, but what is your favorite? I was looking at purchasing the snitch by no. 8 tackle or a Fenwick elite tech. What are your thoughts???

Hard to be an HT ice blues or a schooley artic blue Rod.....

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:00 PM »
I agree with ice blues but sometimes have issues with getting a good hookset with them. I like my beaverdam noodle rod better

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:01 PM »
I couldn’t tell you about either of those rods. However, TUCR Precision Noodle is my #1 favorite panfish rod. A close 2nd would be TUCR Bullwhip. Both 30”.

I own 2 Precision Noodle’s (Reels: Shimano Sienna 500 and an Abu Garcia Cardinal SX 10) and a Bullwhip (Shimano Sedona 1000). I use Suffix Ice Magic in 3# for all of them. Both are stout rods that transition into a really nice “spring bobber” like tip. They can handle the stray pike or bass like a champ. They really excel when using tungsten jigs.

These setups definitely aren’t cheap though. Those three combos ran slightly over $400.00 but you asked for the best and TUCR’s are the best in my opinion.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2017, 10:15 PM »
I couldn’t tell you about either of those rods. However, TUCR Precision Noodle is my #1 favorite panfish rod. A close 2nd would be TUCR Bullwhip. Both 30”.

I own 2 Precision Noodle’s (Reels: Shimano Sienna 500 and an Abu Garcia Cardinal SX 10) and a Bullwhip (Shimano Sedona 1000). I use Suffix Ice Magic in 3# for all of them. Both are stout rods that transition into a really nice “spring bobber” like tip. They can handle the stray pike or bass like a champ. They really excel when using tungsten jigs.

These setups definitely aren’t cheap though. Those three combos ran slightly over $400.00 but you asked for the best and TUCR’s are the best in my opinion.

I hope TUCR rods are better then Thorne Brothers rods.....I bought a perch sweet heart from Thorne brothers and wouldn't tell my worst enemy to buy one....nice Rod if they charged $20 instead for $100. The only custom Rod I've ever seen worth the money is rods built by Adam Bricker.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Ice hopper rods have good back bone for the price you can't beat them  there sold at sportsmen direct.. I think they got a black friday sale on them as we speak..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2017, 11:41 PM »
Seen the fenwick elite tech rods and St Croix rods wile gander was still around the ice hoper rods are just as good if not better cause of price.. I think they run $10 to $15 for a rod  I think have not looked at them in a while..  for blue gill I would lite or medium lite or even ultra lite .. I like medium lite if you get in to big perch..  if all your fishing is crappie and gills the lite or ultra lite is perfect..

The fenwick were way to stiff same with Croix in the ul action was like a thin medium action blank the ice slammer rods are not noodle rods if you want cheap noodles look in to schoolly artic blue rods or ht ice blue rods.. I can't set hook on a noodle either in my one man shanty.. that's why I don't use them very much..   the ice slammer are a very likeable action..  I got medium heavy and had ul action in those.. broke my ul flipping the shack open one day but for 9.99 big deal on the loss but I really like the rod.. might go back and order some for the black Friday sale going on now..

These are them

https://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-hopper/hwi-ice-slammer-rod/

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2017, 12:13 AM »
I hope TUCR rods are better then Thorne Brothers rods.....I bought a perch sweet heart from Thorne brothers and wouldn't tell my worst enemy to buy one....nice Rod if they charged $20 instead for $100. The only custom Rod I've ever seen worth the money is rods built by Adam Bricker.

Price point the TUCR rods are up there with Thorne Bros.  Both of them have there mass production rods that they offer to the general public, like at the ice show.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2017, 06:53 AM »
Great. Thank you!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2017, 07:40 AM »
For the money the frabil 27" quick tip is good.
The reel in the combo is junk.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2017, 08:37 AM »
TNT5859- i have a couple snitch rods and for their price point they work really well. I mostly Crappie fish with them. I use 4mm Fiska's most of the time. They show up on the rod tip quiet well. Ice Blues work well and are even cheaper. I have seen some mighty big walleye brought in on them.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2017, 10:25 AM »
I agree with ice blues but sometimes have issues with getting a good hookset with them. I like my beaverdam noodle rod better

Sharpen the hooks......with crappie you don't want to much backbone with the paper mouths

Offline Chiroguyf250

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2017, 10:38 AM »
I have a few different fenwicks and I really like fishing with them. My wife bought them for my for Christmas bc she thought they hand pretty handles haha.

Randy
I've got your back!

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:14 PM »
It all depends on what works for you Fenwicks and 13 fishing are what I use, they work for me I like them other folks probably think they are junk. If you have some friends that would let you try their set ups I would try before you buy.
And yes the Fenwicks do have pretty handles. ;D
Keep it safe! JDL

Squarehog

« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2017, 03:54 PM »
I really like the HT Hardwater classic ultralight. Only 3 guides to de-ice.  An extremely light sensitive tip and inexpensive to boot.   

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2017, 05:00 PM »
I have the TUCR Precision Noodle and the Bullwhip along with a DH Customs AL Dente. To me, both TUCR rods are very similar except the Bullwhip has more backbone (both seem very similar with sensitivity). The Dh Customs Al Dente is more sensitive but a little less backbone. I have no complaints with any of them and use each slightly different (light jigs or small tungsten with the AL Dente, 4mm or 5mm tungstens with the Precision Noodle and 5mm or 1/16oz spoons with the Bullwhip)

Offline Tye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2017, 06:06 PM »

I have 2 No8 Tackle Snitch rods. The 25" and the 29". I honestly love them both. I fish for bluegills all the way to walleye with them. They have a sensitive tip to see the bite and transition into solid backbone. Great rods for the price. I also have a 13 Fishing Tickle Stick in 23" Light that does a decent job as well.

I just got a Tuned Up Custom Bullwhip in 32" which I am anxiously awaiting ice so I can try er out!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #19 on: Nov 26, 2017, 09:41 PM »
Theres a rod maker up in Philips WI. I own two of his sticks and theyre as sensitive as my wife when I make fun of her trying to cram herself into a pair of skinny jeans.

www.elkrivercustomrods .com

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.