Author Topic: leaders storage  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
leaders storage
« on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:27 AM »
What do you guys use for leader storage. I use the regular riggers but the hooks get snagged sometimes. Thought a long fluorescent shield would work to hold them but to small.

A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: leaders storage
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:36 AM »
I used to do that, but the memory on the flouro drove me nuts, now i just tie directly on to my line with a double uni and just retie ahead or on the ice. Only thing i carry now is pre tied are quick strikes.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:48 AM »
with the medication I take my fingers get very cold, I wouldn't be able to tie in the cold anymore. I don't tie anyway, crimp most times and it's much more reliable with the 30# flouro.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2017, 09:59 AM »
with the medication I take my fingers get very cold, I wouldn't be able to tie in the cold anymore. I don't tie anyway, crimp most times and it's much more reliable with the 30# flouro.
I use a plastic bag system, lol --- sounds funny, but it works.  Each leader is looped loosely, and put in its own ziplock sandwich bag.  Then I have the bags stored in a zip-up worm binder, I think it's called.  Easy access, easy to switch leaders.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:01 AM »
For my summertime leader storage I buy the colored foam pool noodles and cut into the lengths I want.
Cut slits in it in one spot for your leader to fit into to keep it from tangling with the one next to it.
The hook is just stuck in the foam as is the tag end of the line.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:30 AM »
I use a whiskey tin (Jameson I think).  I glued a piece of foam to the lid and hook the trebles to the foam.  The leaders hang free and don't get the fluoro-memory.  It's also a good conversation starter  @)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:39 AM »
I use a plastic bag system, lol --- sounds funny, but it works.  Each leader is looped loosely, and put in its own ziplock sandwich bag.  Then I have the bags stored in a zip-up worm binder, I think it's called.  Easy access, easy to switch leaders.

x2 this.

I've got a pile of 3 x 4" bags. One per bag all stored in a plastic recipe card box with index for separators/ID. The only downside is sometimes the hooks poke through the bag and the bag becomes expendable and sometimes gets snagged into something else (though not when in the box).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2017, 10:41 AM »
Freezer baggies are thicker, tried them out?
Thread killer

Offline TheCrappieFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:32 AM »
Pool noodles are nice as they bigger so fewer coils.

Small zip lock bags like 3"x4" or 3"x3" are another option. I just started trying it this year and seems to work just have to wind them back up to get in the baggy, you can store a lot in a small container. I bought some special storage bags off amazon that are thick and don't tear or have hooks go through. Came in bulk. I 'll try and look for the link.

Another option I saw the other week is this snell box, no experience with it so can't comment on how well it works.
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=739192&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-739192&WT.z_pg_ref=prd704777

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2017, 11:50 AM »
I too experience pretty extreme finger pain In the cold, started two,years ago. Sadly I fear I am going to have to blame my advancing age over any Medes I am taking though now that you have mentioned mess I may have to look into what I am taking. :P
Keep t safe! JDL

Chute82

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2017, 04:14 PM »
Pool noodle and golf tee...stick hook in noodle, wrap leader around, place tee inside perfection loop and push into noodle

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:10 PM »
I too experience pretty extreme finger pain In the cold, started two,years ago. Sadly I fear I am going to have to blame my advancing age over any Medes I am taking though now that you have mentioned mess I may have to look into what I am taking. :P
Keep t safe! JDL
Found out it's the high blood pressure meds. I could put my hands right in the water for many years and never wore gloves.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Found out it's the high blood pressure meds. I could put my hands right in the water for many years and never wore gloves.

Ah-ha! The light just came on! For me it's the first 30 - 45 minutes in the cold. Almost unbearable.... Hands so cold they hurt. Once I get past that I can rinse my hands in an ice hole like I always have. Yep, treatin' for BP.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #14 on: Nov 16, 2017, 08:15 AM »
Bags.... zip locks come in any size you want.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.