Author Topic: Best deal on FL-8 Vexlar Flasher ?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best deal on FL-8 Vexlar Flasher ?
« on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:26 PM »
Just told Santa what I wanted for Christmas.......where you folks finding the best deals on these . Guess I'll get into the 21st century of technology....lol..and thanks

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Best deal on FL-8 Vexlar Flasher ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2017, 06:31 PM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2017, 07:34 PM »
I'm guessing a reconditioned unit from vexilar......might want to bump put to an FL18 so you have zoom.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2017, 07:39 PM »
Fl-8 are the only ones usually for sale on Craig's list... Some deals there, keep in mind the price of a battery if needed...

I wish my 8 was an 18 FYI...

But for how I use it, its still awesome..

<°)))>{

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2017, 09:42 PM »
I have an fl8 and it does everything I need it to. At least it did, once you get into a situation where the guys with zoom are catching more fish and to be honest probably having more fun watching the fish react, then you will wish you had an fl18 with zoom or one of the other units with zoom. Have Santa get a slight upgrade, it will be well worth it in the end.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2017, 11:21 PM »
I have an fl8 and it does everything I need it to. At least it did, once you get into a situation where the guys with zoom are catching more fish and to be honest probably having more fun watching the fish react, then you will wish you had an fl18 with zoom or one of the other units with zoom. Have Santa get a slight upgrade, it will be well worth it in the end.

Yep just about everyone who gets and FL8se wishes they would have gone to an fl18 with zoom. Always see a lot of FL8 units for sale from guys who want to upgrade to zoom.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2017, 06:56 AM »
I bought a vexilar fl8se at mills fleet farm for $245 with free ship this time last year.the fl8se is a great unit to start with and I fished with one for 6 years before upgrading.caught lots of fish with it.

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:31 AM »
I would definitely go for the FL18 ...low power and bottom zoom is priceless ...its an investment and you will never need to up grade . Deals are few and far between ...Dicks does a 20% off from time to time ..one of the better deals that I have seen.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline oldred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:00 AM »
Build your own FL-22 Ultra Pack for right around 4 bills unless you need to fish over 60 feet deep. 

You could actually use the 12 degree puck that comes with it as your ice ducer and save $90.  You'd just have to rig it with a float to sit level in the water.

DN

Done. I usually fish twelve to thirty feet. Going to try the 12° for now.
"Que scais-je?"

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Build your own FL-22 Ultra Pack for right around 4 bills unless you need to fish over 60 feet deep.   

https://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-FL-22-12-Degree-Depth-Finder/dp/B00GVFDT1K/ref=pd_ybh_a_16?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QHB2KGEFE6EFNP2XVGGS

and this https://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-TB0050-19-Degree-Ice-Ducer/dp/B0002N28H8/ref=pd_ybh_a_17?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=2S17TJBJXV604YWN0NFG or this https://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-Inc-Degree-Ice-Ducer-Only/dp/B001BWEI0Y/ref=pd_ybh_a_46?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6AJE6ZK8241CGNK7WDXJ

and finally this https://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-UC-100-Ultra-Pack-Carrying/dp/B003ZZ84GE/ref=pd_ybh_a_50?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=782NM0QGMEYPQWHWC269

You'll still need a $20 battery and a bag(optional)if you want, here https://www.amazon.com/Vexilar-SP0007-Black-Soft-Ultra/dp/B002WQ77G0/ref=pd_ybh_a_49?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=32BXEVWKA738BJ7YWBH9

You could actually use the 12 degree puck that comes with it as your ice ducer and save $90.  You'd just have to rig it with a float to sit level in the water.

DN

I've more or less been following this thread just to see what flasher Nessmuck would end up going with. Looks like he won't be going with this one DN posted for him. That's too bad !!

@ DN - I saw your post in another thread that referred to this thread. Honestly, it sorta irks me how this went down. I've read a lot of your posts on this forum & you're always offering help to the members here. Just so you know, myself & I'm sure many other members consider you a very valued member of this forum !!  :thumbsup:

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2017, 05:40 PM »
The original poster hasn't responded back as far as I can tell ...maybe hasn't even read all the replies yet . SpitzoMT.. You can lead a horse to water but  ..... I know some of the fisherman I fish with would prefer the FL8 as opposed to FL18 ..less complicated ...just want to see bottom and know when a fish moves in .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2017, 05:57 PM »
The original poster hasn't responded back as far as I can tell ...maybe hasn't even read all the replies yet . SpitzoMT.. You can lead a horse to water but  .....

Yeah, doesn't look like he's been on here since early this morning. So true about the horse H D.....Take care !!

Offline Deal Ninja

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2017, 06:12 PM »
Thanks SpitzoMT!  ;). Right now, my main concern is coming up with another deal for Nessmuck!  Im sure he’ll be dissapointed when he reads through his thread.  :P.  I’ll contact him with anything I find.

DN
DON'T DILLY DALLY!!!   ;D

Polar Bird 3T, Eskimo EVO 1it
8" K-Drill, 8" Nils Arctic Trekker, Milwaukee Mud Mixer, Milwaukee 2704-22, Clam Plate, Adapters to make everything work with everything. lol
Marcum LX-7s (2) Dakota Lithium powered

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2017, 06:16 PM »
My money's on you DN,  in finding the guy another deal! Only been here a short time but enjoy all the deals you find and pass on to this site.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2017, 06:35 PM »
Thanks SpitzoMT!  ;). Right now, my main concern is coming up with another deal for Nessmuck!  Im sure he’ll be dissapointed when he reads through his thread.  :P.  I’ll contact him with anything I find.  My jaw literally hit the floor when I saw the post of the person who had purchased the item(s).  Didnt even bother to thank me for my trouble.  lol

Shocking how some people can be so rude.  My jaw was on the floor.

DN

No problem DN & I'm quite confident you'll come up with another deal for him !!  :thumbsup:

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2017, 07:59 PM »
I don't have one of those Smaaht phones...where I can be on line all day...but I have been reading all the info...trying to watch you tube vids...and keep those comments coming...thanks

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2017, 08:22 PM »
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2017, 09:23 PM »
The simplicity of the FL-8 ...is looking reel-real good...for this old guy.

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:07 PM »
the fl8 will easily triple your catch rate.  prob more.  jmho.  good luck.  love simple and fast.

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2017, 10:12 PM »
check out www.landmsupply.com.

Pretty good deals.  Bought an FL-8 from them on my way out to Devils Lake last year.  It was my first legit flasher.  Took 1 day to figure out the advantages of AutoZoom.  L&M allowed me to return the unit 4 days later so I could upgrade to an FL-18.  That was the first time I'd ever been an L&M Supply (closest to me is 100 miles away in Hayward, WI) but I almost like their stores better than Mills Fleet Farm.  L&M has the FL-18 on sales for $349.99 with free shipping when bought on-line.

Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06:40 AM »
Reeds had the FL-8se Genz pack for around $260 (new) a couple of months ago...I bought one  :thumbsup:
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2017, 04:56 PM »
To OP first off until 5 months ago I was running a flip phone it finally gave up the ghost,so that has nothing to help you out. I started ou with a fl-8 ran that for 7 or 8 years and did everything I needed it to do. So a fairly old unit still sold for $ 200.00 three or four years ago. The price for a used fl-8 is not much less than a new unit. I don't know what your budget will support, but if will stretch far enough I would go with a FL-18. Have looked at the FLX series and decided that I am happy with the 18. Pretty sure the reconditioned units come with a warenty.
Good fishing with whatever unit you go with!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2017, 05:15 PM »
The simplicity of the FL-8 ...is looking reel-real good...for this old guy.

None of the vexilar units is complicated.

An FL8SE isn't a bad unit......however you give up the switch to put the unit into LP mode (low power)

Now you can get an additional cord to put between the FL8SE head and transducer that will put the unit in LP mode but it's another $20 and a pain to hook and unhook on the unit.

The LP mode is a big deal when fishing shallow and in conditions where weeds cause issues with the display......I then to use LP mode a lot when under 10ft.

The other thing you give up is bottom zoom, where you zoom in on the bottom 6ft.

For the $100 difference $250-$350 the FL18 is a lot better buy.

If you want an FL8SE, I suggest you look on craigslist and EBay......It isn't uncommon for a 1-3yr old FL8se to sell for $180-$220....

.I found an FL8SE head off EBay I picked up for $75......Then got a used transducer for $50 and a new Genz box for $30 had a battery already and built a good unit for $155.....later sold it on eBay for $250 and moved to an FL18 slightly used for $300

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.