Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Secret south side Des Moines Bait Shop  (Read 5145 times)

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
Secret south side Des Moines Bait Shop
« on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:15 AM »
Not sure if anyone is on the southside of des moines but I discovered a new bait shop today.  Ridgeview Bait & Tackle.  Never even heard of it.  not even in the phone book.  A guy runs it out of his garage.  WOW!  he's got great waxies, minnows, .49, .59 and .69 cent ice jigs he makes himself, sassies, Swedish pimples, all the good stuff and the lowest prices I've ever seen.  I bought a brand new Eskimo 7" hand auger there today for under $35.  The guy hurt his back and opened a bait shop to make ends meet.  Big fat waxies and zippie minnows in good clean water.  I will go there every time for now on.  He said if I need bait at 6:00a.m.  or so, whatever, call and he'll meet me in the shop.  What a great guy.  Please help support this guys bait shop.  You'll be glad you did.  He's also has archery stuff, builds customized arrows, turkey/deer hunting stuff, rods, reels, ice combo's, pop, candy bars all the goodies.  Plus, he can order anything you want at unbeatable costs.  Lots of stuff in his little bait shop.  Anyway, check it out if your in the area.  Or make the trip.  There's a sign out front. 

Ridgeview Bait & Tackle
8205 Ridgeview Dr.  (Greenfield Plaza south of county line)
Des Moines, IA 50320 
Red screens......tight lines......

Offline badgercreekfreek

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take a kid fishing!
Re: Secret south side Des Moines Bait Shop
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2006, 07:13 AM »
I've never heard of that shop ... good find.  Here's a map to the location:

Ridgeview Bait

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2006, 12:36 PM »
would you say that it is easy to get bait and stuff there if your pulling a boat IE convenient turn around and such? sounds residential.
Hard charger !

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2006, 01:26 PM »
Yes it is a residential area but you can park in the street in front of his house. I don't see any reason it would be unaccessible with a boat/trailer.  It's not on a dead end or anything.  It's a very quiet low traffic neighborhood.   There is always somebody there.  His wife handles the bait shop if he is gone.   I live by the airport so it is on the way to aquabi and hooper for me.  I wish I would have known about Ridgeview B&T years ago.    seems like knowbody knows about it.  My next door neighbor told me about it.  He had some custom arrows built there and buys all his bait there.  Now I see why.  Very good quality bait. 

P.S. He also accepts credit/debit cards!  Has the swipe machine and everything. 

Offline frostyicecold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:09 AM »
Thanks for the info, always looking for bait shops. Since I'm still kinda new to the area.
I found one on the way to Aquabi on 65. The guy has it in his garage. Small sign on the road says bait, and thats it. Carries minnows, worms, not sure about waxies though (haven't been out this year). He says if nobodys there just open the door and leave the money on the chair inside and help yourself. Quite trusting since I noticed a pile of money sitting there when I went. But it seems to work out for him.

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2006, 06:57 AM »
Yes, I kow the place.  He does carry waxies.  I was also impressed with the "leave money on chair" policy.  There are still good people in the world, you just have to go to the lake to find them... ;)

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2006, 11:55 AM »
Just bumping this for the new season   ;)

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2006, 07:16 PM »
Were gonna need some ice fella ;D
Hard charger !

Offline Iceaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • let's try this spot...
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2006, 08:46 AM »
Ah, we'll have ice this year! ???  Might be fishing in Ontario but we'll have ice. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.