Author Topic: shanty bloopers  (Read 5071 times)

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
shanty bloopers
« on: Feb 20, 2006, 11:42 PM »
i made an ice shanty out of an old tent that my parents gave me and today i was with my buddy and we decided to move from one side of the lake and like a lot of people with cold fingers we didn't pack up the shack.  So what we did is we hooked up ropes to the bottom corners of the tent and attached them to my car and started pulling it toward the other side of the lake.  well the snow today was really deep and at first i got my car stuck for like 15 minutes and thankgod that we got out of that.  After that we thought that we were out of the blue. well knock on wood, while we were pulling the shanty across the lake all of a sudden our ridge pull gave way and the whole thing collapsed.  so we stopped to check it out, no biggy we took the ridge pole and set it inside the car and figured that since the shanty folded up nice why not just pull it like that. well after that the bottom 2x4 frame system that we have to put the pulls in falls completely apart and now i have 2 missing poles half of the frame and a big ol' hole in the corner of my tent.  but we didn't let that ruin our trip. we used my car as a wind break.  and yet that isn't the worst of the day.
:'( WE GOT SKUNKED!!! :'(

-perchpunk-
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
Re: shanty bloopers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2006, 03:34 AM »
Any video ;)
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:07 PM »
no sorry i wish i would have though. it would have been a winner for america's funniest home videos.
-perchpunk-
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:09 PM »
hey have any of you guys had some funny shanty bloopers?  if so post them here
-perchpunk-

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:41 PM »
Me trying to fold-up my Frabil tonight at dusk. I took a short nap today after working 7p-7a, then out onto the ice with one of my sons.  When it came time to pack-it in, my shanty tried to eat me.  I got all caught up in the supports and the fabric and well  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Whadaya goin' ta do.
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline Redbeard1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2006, 12:51 PM »
My fishing buddy was so pround of his new fold up shanty, he was just trying to make me feel bad about sitting outside on my bucket, I prefer that anyway.  He forgot to anchor the doggone thing and when the wind would gust he would slide 3 or 4 feet!!  I could always tell when to brace for the wind 'cus he would start swearing up a storm!!! I still laugh at it!
PATRICK

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:00 PM »
My blooper came last year when in my desperation to ice fish, I tried to set up my portable shappel in a wind storm

we got to the lake and the wind was blwoing so hard it was blowing us across the ice. My buddy's wife fell and the wind took her about 20 feet down wind. Anyways, we thought all we needed to do was use metal spike and spike the shantly down like a tent, we got one peg in and a gust came up and lifted the shanty off the ground, bent the steel spike and continued to bash my shanty into the ice, until I was able to pull the spike from the ice. at that point I had to then chase the shanty down the ice as it took off

We finally gave up on the shanty and just got down to ice level and let the wind whip over us

to this day my shanty has some bent polls that I have to fight with when setting it up

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Love that last pic, Junky.  Seems like a good idea, but you guys look like little kids. ;D
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2006, 03:47 PM »
My dad will kill me for telling this. A few years ago he had to go #2. i told him I needed more bait so I would run to the store and he could go in the shack and dump the bucket somewhere on the ice. I told him just put a few inches of water in the pail first. So I take off. I come back, the shack, a frabill triplex, is folded up, there is fish scattered everywhere, he is soaking wet and there is poo floating in our holes in the ice. I am laughing, uncontrollably, before I even get out of the pickup. He of course is just irate. Apparently while he is sitting on the poo pail a gust of wind blew the shack and sent him rolling across the ice with his pants around his ankles. So he is covered with poo water and waxie sawdust. I felt bad for him but for a month afterwards I started giggling for no reason. I got tears in my eyes right now.  Last year he said he had to go to the bait shop to use their bathroom, and dont even ask him to crap in no bucket.

Icejunky when its windy like that use your pickup as a windbreak. We have had to use the pickup for windbreak and hook the pull rope to it as an anchor before. Breezy. I love to fish blugills in the weeds.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2006, 12:54 PM »
That is hilarious.  Sound like a skit for the next Grumpier Old Men if they ever decide to make one.  I can see it now.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline model8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2006, 02:56 PM »
well lets start this one out real easy first me and my best friend got to the lake and he had only ice fished once before with me and he asked his uncle to go along so he arrived a half hour late so we start walking out on the lake and his uncle had a popup shanty and did not know how to set it up so he starts playing with that and my freind is trying to help i begin to start the auger and i had just put a new bit on the day before i let it warm up they finish the shanty and i start drilling holes the first two inches of ice i knew something was wrong but i tried to force the auger through the ice the next hole i was getting the crap kicked out of me by the auger so i stopped and checked the blades they were ok so i tride it one more time it still kicked the crap out of me and i was like what the hell is going on finnaly on the fourth hole i saw what was going on just before i broke through the hole so i finished the hole and pulled the auger up and looked and sure enough i had a clock wise bit on a counter clock wise auger i could have died of embarecement i have been ice fishing since i was four or five and never done any thing that stupid since i was 10 and stepped in a hole in the ice and got my leg wet the only good thing was my freind caught a perch and know he si hooked. i told him you cant catch just one and be satisfied you crave more
jiffy model 30 the only ice auger because the bells and wissles wont  cut ice.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 15, 2006, 03:03 PM »
Me and my buddy were getting ready to leave during a windy day so we packed all our stuff into the shanty to kinda anchor the thing down and as we were taking the poles out the wind took it knocked my buddy on the ice and the auger blades sliced through our shanty...what a day....first time out with the shanty too...

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2006, 04:03 PM »
Late ice 2 yrs ago. My buddy and I filled 2 buckets with pan fish. Dresden station,Lake Champlain. The ice had melted about 3' from shore we got on with an 8' 2x6. Coming back off the ice I noticed a few panfish coming in for minnows were the ice had opened up at shore. I thought I'd be mr. outdoors and try and snag one with my hands. Stupid me lays down on the ice next to my plank to try to get closer at these sunnies. Just as I got my hands around that little f'er the ice I was laying on broke and I was in the drink in about 2' of water. The bad part, I was f'ing soaked. The good part, that little f'er ended up in the bucket with rest of them. Yeah hard to believe, but I did get him. And I got a good story to tell too!!! :o 
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.