Author Topic: Flotation suits, which?  (Read 8145 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flotation suits, which?
« on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:18 PM »
Can’t afford both Strikemaster jacket and bibs so I need to pick one.  Seems like bibs would be warm enough on most days, I usually wear just my bibs now without a jacket 75% of the time BUT jacket holds your upper body up whereas bibs will hold your legs up if you go in.   If I bought the jacket I would have to wear it most of the time.  I keep thinking of pros and cons for both so I’m looking for other points of view and I can’t think of a better place to get them. THANKS

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flotation suits, which?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:30 PM »
Yeah I don't think the strikemaster suit floats.  Striker yes, clam lift yes frabill ifloat yes (jacket sucks FYI)

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:36 PM »
I think you mean Striker suit and not Strikemaster. I don't know if Strikemaster even sells suits anymore and even if they do they were never a floating suit. I started with a Strikemaster suit as my first ice fishing suit then got one of the original striker floating suits the first year they came out and now I wear a Ice Armor Lift Suit which is Clams floating suit. the Lift suit has been redesigned this year and renamed the Accent suit. so don't over look the Ice Armor Accent suit as it is comparible in price to the Striker suits. I think you would be okay starting with just the bibs then as soon as you can afford it then get the matching parka. the thing to consider is that yes your legs will want to float up but if you think about that it is a good thing because as long as you stay calm if you go in you should be able to keep your head above the water and now with the extra lift the bibs would give your legs you would have a easier time pulling your self back up on to the ice if your legs were floating and you were not trying to have to pull them up and out of the water from under you.  in theory if you are horizontal in the water then it should take less strength to pull your self out then if you were vertical.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:43 PM »
I think you mean Striker suit and not Strikemaster. I don't know if Strikemaster even sells suits anymore and even if they do they were never a floating suit. I started with a Strikemaster suit as my first ice fishing suit then got one of the original striker floating suits the first year they came out and now I wear a Ice Armor Lift Suit which is Clams floating suit. the Lift suit has been redesigned this year and renamed the Accent suit. so don't over look the Ice Armor Accent suit as it is comparible in price to the Striker suits. I think you would be okay starting with just the bibs then as soon as you can afford it then get the matching parka. the thing to consider is that yes your legs will want to float up but if you think about that it is a good thing because as long as you stay calm if you go in you should be able to keep your head above the water and now with the extra lift the bibs would give your legs you would have a easier time pulling your self back up on to the ice if your legs were floating and you were not trying to have to pull them up and out of the water from under you.  in theory if you are horizontal in the water then it should take less strength to pull your self out then if you were vertical.

I got a lift at the end of last season, still has tags on it but it does fit nice. What are the upgrades on the new Accent suit?  BTW do you work for Clam?

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:49 PM »
You are right, I meant Striker.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2017, 09:59 PM »
the main change was that the floatation was changed to a baffled material that doesn't seem to be as bulky as the lift suit was but it still floats you the same and then one of the other changes that was made is that the parka of the suit is now offered in three different colors where as the lift suit was only offered in one color. the other thing I believe that was added was the Ascent suit now has zippered vents on the sides for if you get to warm. as for working for Clam I am on their Pro Staff and this year I have also began working at their headquarters here in Minnesota to help them pull orders for this upcoming ice season.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2017, 07:41 AM »
"..... frabill ifloat yes (jacket sucks FYI)"
was thinking of buying the iFloat. what Is it that you don't like? Just curious

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2017, 07:48 AM »
The I float is like you are wraped in a life jacket as that is what they use as their float technology and insulation, it just is stiff and awkward, I got it for fall fishing, but use my striker when Ice fishing, wait for sales on black friday...that'll help even the price market for you... :-) You can always just wear a life jacket on your reg coat, cost a lot less..... ;)
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Offline Dave shapell dx3000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:07 AM »
for the price of the ifloat vs. others. and if you where to ever fall through,  I don't think I would mind if the material was noisy under 30 degrees or if its a little less flexible. one you can afford is better then none at all. I just found I float bibs for 90 bucks on amazon and the jacket for 105 with shipping. under 200 bucks is a deal on a float suit I think.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:07 AM »
I just recently bought the striker predator bibs, I had a coupon at dick's. the bibs are super comfortable. I'm used to wearing the Carharts and the striker is so much nicer, easier to bend over in. I went with the bibs first because a lot of the time i'm not wearing the jacket but always the bibs. Hopefully black Friday I will get the jacket.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:11 AM »
I've been bouncing between the iFloat and Ascent for this coming season. Really hoping to catch a deal on BF for an Ascent.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:23 AM »
I would suggest you get bibs first ....as you will always wear the bibs each and every outing  ...the jacket/parka is a layering item ...your not going to wear the jacket while you huffing and puffing dragging out your gear to your spot..and when need it the most on untraversed ice . I have the Striker Ice Predator and Climate combo sets ...love them the features are outstanding . Dicks has $10 off every $50 you spend ...up to $30 for a limited time  ...so you may want to start there . I am not too familiar with this years Clam Assent  line up ...not certain they offer different model of warmth ratings  ...like the SI line up does...but wouldn't count them out as the original IA suits were very similar in design features to the SI Predator .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:38 AM »
Always go with the bibs first. Bibs are always on and keep knee's from getting wet cold. The jacket is secondary and not always worn. I have the Striker ice hardwater and love them. They are a little pricey but I figure you get what you pay for. Watch for sales, Dick's, Glen's, Amazon,

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:46 AM »
hmm good to know about the bibs first.. I never thought about it, always have the bibs on - good point.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:51 AM »
hmm good to know about the bibs first.. I never thought about it, always have the bibs on - good point.

With the full to hip zippers you can adjust the heat/air flow ...very nice on that drag through heavy snow or that March day when the temps are in the 40s and your drilling half the lake to find fish in transition from the basin to the shallows...best time to wear them flotation bibs
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:12 AM »
I like it, thanks for the advice! Just hope they are In Stock on the Clam website soon-ish! One for me and one pair as a gift!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:17 AM »
Can't recommend the Striker Hardwater enough.  Got a pair last year, and I'm now one of the kool-aid drinkers....There are good deals too,  I got mine late last season, and I think I paid 130ish for each the bibs and jacket.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Can't recommend the Striker Hardwater enough.  Got a pair last year, and I'm now one of the kool-aid drinkers....There are good deals too,  I got mine late last season, and I think I paid 130ish for each the bibs and jacket.

They float?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:46 AM »
Best video out there on the SI  suits

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2017, 10:55 AM »
They float?
    Yup! Not Coast Guard PFD certified, but they do have floatant. Some say that Striker just didn't want to pay for the certification, but they do advertise that they float.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 01, 2017, 11:00 AM »
was thinking of buying the iFloat. what Is it that you don't like? Just curious

Like others have said it's  very bulky and like a life vest on, the bibs are ok but I would look else where for a jacket.

Offline 49ford

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2017, 11:09 AM »
I've also heard Frabil bibs don't unzip low enough to take a leak......... I got striker and happy

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2017, 11:34 AM »
Like others have said it's  very bulky and like a life vest on, the bibs are ok but I would look else where for a jacket.

I found it very bulky as well.  And when the temps were cold it was a very stiff jacket.    Wore it once and returned it.   

I'm headed this year to get a striker climate suit. 
Don

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2017, 02:58 PM »
I use mossi mantis floating bibs....cheap and 0 complaints

Catchin' Fish

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 02, 2017, 02:02 AM »
I like it, thanks for the advice! Just hope they are In Stock on the Clam website soon-ish! One for me and one pair as a gift!

just so you are aware if the Clam website says out of stock it is typically because of one or two reasons. either the item hasn't arrived at Clam yet from the Manufacturer or Clam has sold out the years stock to either Retailers and/or earlier online orders. In the case of the Ascent bibs and parkas I would say it is because the years supply has already been completely sold to retailers for this year. I can double check with the customer service department tomorrow and get back to you as to if the status will change online or not.

Offline mr.bartender

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time spent wisely!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:15 AM »
Striker ice for 4 yrs now with no complaints! Nice and comfortable light weight just like my Baffin boots!
i have enjoyed alot of things in life,but none as much as ice fishing!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:04 AM »
the striker rep talked me into the striker climate years ago and I average about 40 hrs a week in  it and I couldn’t be happier , but I’m in no hurry to test it 😉
Far as USCG approved there are only 2 on the market that I’m aware of I-float and mustang but I could be wrong

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:11 AM »
This site is causing me to spend a lot of money and grief from the wife lol. After reading enough about the striker predator suits I bought the bibs a couple weeks ago with the intent of buying the jacket later on. Wellll I bought the jacket last night, just couldn't wait. NOW I NEED ICE!!!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2017, 07:12 PM »
walpy,

I was wrong in thinking they were sold out for the year on the ascent bibs and parkas. I spoke with customer service and the reason they are listed as out of stock is because they just came in a few days ago and just got checked in yesterday so the website has yet to be updated to reflect that they are now in stock. if you want to place a order for the bibs like you posted then call customer service at 1-800-ICE-FISH. this will get you to the customer service department. they can help you place the order over the phone. Hope this helps.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 03, 2017, 09:23 AM »
FishUSA       $40 off  $200

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.