Author Topic: Advice for Ice Fishing Flashers.  (Read 3657 times)

Offline Smiity

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Good and you?
Advice for Ice Fishing Flashers.
« on: Oct 21, 2017, 04:27 PM »
Looking to purchase my first flasher. I'm looking to spend around the $400-$625 range. The water depth i'd be fishing in is approximately 15-40 feet. I've narrowed my choices down to 3 different units (i hope). And they are: Vexilar FLX-12 Propack II Combo with 12° Ice Ducer and DD-100, Humminbird ICE-45 Flasher, and the MarCum LX-3TCi True Color Sonar Flasher System. Advice/comments/reviews?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Advice for Ice Fishing Flashers.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2017, 04:31 PM »

I would suggest going with the Vexilar FL18 ..bottom zoom is a great feature not offered in the FL12..those bottom hugging fish don't have a chance...low power mode is also great in les than 15 fow..the DD100 is also great option in identifying contour/depth changes on unfamiliar lakes or areas...a 12 deg transducer is a great option based on your fishing waters depth...the case I suggest either the Pro pack or Ultra pack as they are round and fit in a 5 gallon bucket .

hope this helps..good luck with your purchase
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2017, 07:43 PM »
I have the Marcum LX-5 and works great! 
//.\\//.\\ark

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2017, 11:00 PM »
Cant go wrong with any of them I have the Humminbird Ice 55 my buddy has the Marcum LX-5. I like that we can fish side by side with no interference for either of us. The hummer lets you zoom anywhere in the water column I haven't played that much with the LX-5
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline zforste1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Don't buy the Marcum t3i...my dad went through 3 of them in one season.  They had an issue with the depth selector knob plastic bushing breaking and It cannot be repaired however, luckily each time it happened, we were able to exchange the flasher at Cabelas. The third time it broke was after Christmas and he decided to use some gift cards and went with the Marcum Lx7 and absolutely loves it.
"Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day, don't teach a man to fish and feed yourself. He's a grown man and fishing isn't that hard" - Ron Swanson

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2017, 08:28 AM »
I would suggest going with the Vexilar FL18 ..bottom zoom is a great feature not offered in the FL12..those bottom hugging fish don't have a chance...low power mode is also great in les than 15 fow..the DD100 is also great option in identifying contour/depth changes on unfamiliar lakes or areas...a 12 deg transducer is a great option based on your fishing waters depth...the case I suggest either the Pro pack or Ultra pack as they are round and fit in a 5 gallon bucket .

hope this helps..good luck with your purchase

X2 - bottom zoom is a game changer.
Da Pack!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:06 AM »
the vexilar fl12 is bulletproof and out of those models I would go with that for reliability, but in your price range listed Id go for a vexilar fl18 pro pack or fl20.for the zoom features.

Offline NESDperchslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:20 AM »
Check out Marcums new "M" series of flashers.  They are brushless and very quiet!

Offline shootsmcgee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2017, 09:05 PM »
Check out Marcums new "M" series of flashers.  They are brushless and very quiet!

Most definitely this if the budget allows. That whine from these units I could definitely go without
well if you were me then i'd be you and i really wouldn't know what the hell I was talking about...

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2017, 05:37 AM »
I have the ice-45. it's a great unit and you will be happy with it. The down side is mine hums pretty loudly if it's not sitting on the ice right or when I have the knobs on the shuttle too tight... and sometimes when they're too loose. And I get a re-set from time to time on the depth, usually when my battery is getting low. Personally, if I had to do over I would get a Vex. I'm gonna be trying out my Lowrance 4x elite chirp on the ice this year. Might be a better choice going with a finder that has a flasher mode than a mechanical flasher. I just gotta pick up the ice kit for it.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:05 AM »
My ice fishing partner has a marcum lx5. I was so impressed I bought one this off season. I can't wait to get it out on the ice and play with it.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2017, 06:43 AM »
Looking to purchase my first flasher. I'm looking to spend around the $400-$625 range. The water depth i'd be fishing in is approximately 15-40 feet. I've narrowed my choices down to 3 different units (i hope). And they are: Vexilar FLX-12 Propack II Combo with 12° Ice Ducer and DD-100, Humminbird ICE-45 Flasher, and the MarCum LX-3TCi True Color Sonar Flasher System. Advice/comments/reviews?

at 15 to 40 ft. you could find any flasher that will mark your jig,bottom and fish for less than 100 easily 400-625 for you is nuts  I could sell you a head unit if you like for 25.00 you could throw a vex ice ducer on it and for 100 your 1/2 way there already to a fl-12 then add the vex reconditioned fl 8 or 12 or 18 head if it craps out and your still at or below your bottom range

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2017, 07:56 PM »
...or spend a bunch and not be jealous of all your buddies  ;D

gman51

« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2017, 08:41 AM »
exactly.... why mess around if your serious about ice fishing. with 4-6 hundred to spend you'll be set up with a great unit..

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2017, 01:17 PM »
I bought my ICE-35 a couple seasons ago and love it.  It does exactly what I need it to do.  The battery lasts a long time in between charges and is great for hole hopping.  The sound doesn't bother me at all.  I like the zoom feature and use it all the time.  I can also switch from 9 and 20 degree cones.  With your price range for spending you'll be able to get a great unit.  i will not fish without my flasher. 
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2017, 02:31 PM »
I bought my ICE-35 a couple seasons ago and love it.  It does exactly what I need it to do.  The battery lasts a long time in between charges and is great for hole hopping.  The sound doesn't bother me at all.  I like the zoom feature and use it all the time.  I can also switch from 9 and 20 degree cones.  With your price range for spending you'll be able to get a great unit.  i will not fish without my flasher.

X2

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 04, 2017, 11:54 AM »
All pretty much the same. Go with one you like. Pick the one you like looking at you’ll be stareing at it all winter. I went for vex fl18 genz pack many years ago cause it looked like it can take some bumps and bruises.

Offline canada

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 11, 2017, 09:39 AM »
picked up an ice 55 2 years ago.  It has been excellent
Im sure they all have their good and bad.  good luck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.