Author Topic: Is there really that big of difference....hand augers / drill setups.  (Read 2682 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Hand Augers / drill conversions.

We all puff up our chest and talk about how great the latest auger we have is. What are guys true opinions.

Here is what I've had for Hand / drill augers

6" lazer curved blade
7" Eskimo shaver
7" Eskimo shaver to curved blade conversion
8" HT shaver
8" Thunder Bay curved blade
8" Jiffy Jet curved flat blade
8" Nils curved blade

I've ran them all by hand and by a Milwaukee brushless drill setup on a clam plate. I will admit the nils is really smooth when cutting and the offset handles are a huge benifit over the inline handles if hand drilling.

However, once I put any of them on the clam plate drill setup they all rip through ice with ease. I've ran a k drill once, and it was nice while it also ripped through the ice. I do kinda want one, but it really wasn't much different besides the crazy $250 price tag.

I've pretty much came to the conclusion that on a drill setup a cheap standard shaver blade does the job, and isn't much different in speed or weight vs the other options.

Offline JaminWI

• Team IceShanty Regular
Agro- my useless input as I've only used an old SM hand auger and a k-drill, but from everything I read researching before buying the pricey k-drill I learned the auger type and blades matter more with the ice then whether hand powered or drill powered.  Shaver blades vs chipper blades, dirty ice, etc.  But I'm sure I'm not mentioning anything you don't already know. 

Moral of my babbling...the blade end matters more than the "power" end IMO (and the environment of course).

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
For what it's worth,, 8" k-drill 6 Lbs. Composit and aluminum not steel. My setup with drill and battery 12 Lbs.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For what it's worth,, 8" k-drill 6 Lbs. Composit and aluminum not steel.

For those looking to save weight..

A regular 8" Mora is lighter, just under 4lbs... It's possibly the lightest 8" available, partly because its actually a 7" with 8" blades...

<°)))>{

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
For what it's worth,, 8" k-drill 6 Lbs. Composit and aluminum not steel. My setup with drill and battery 12 Lbs.

This. I search more at the end of the day because the K-Drill is mostly plastic and very light. I had a Mora hand auger and it went dull too fast.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
This is where I am at, it has evolved since I started a few years ago:

I am starting my second full year of ice fishing.  I started with a Nils 6' orange and my little hitachi drill, (one that I already had) very similar to the one on the Nils box.      I already had two sets of Hitachi, 2 drivers and 2 drills, and each had a battery so I had 4 batteries. That was before I ice fished.  So I had extras to take with me.   It worked fine.  It had a 2.5 amp hour battery and could do about 20-25 holes on a charge.  I don't hole hop like some.  No clam drill plate in use at that time, didn't see the need for one with the 6'.  I did buy an extra cutting head for the Nils last winter, mine needed sharpened and i didn't want to wait for it.  Now have a spare, Frank sharpened it last month.  My only question was how long before I burn up the drill.

That is why I stayed with a 6" and upgraded my drill.  I use driver drills all the time at home, home remodeler -always improving house is my hobby. So i could justify a newer one.    I bought the Fuel18v - no hammer mode needed.

Now I want to upgrade to a 8" hole, I caught a few fish last year that were difficult to get through the 6".   Am thinking about the K drill 8".  Do I need a clam plate for 8" K Drill or just hook it to the Fuel?  I am impressed with the Nils as well but the 8" is almost a Kdrill price.   I have a clam plate that is missing some parts so i could get it going.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
I think it’s obvious that some augers/bits rise to the top when it comes to performance, but I would agree that there really isn’t that much difference.  There is only so much technology that goes into a curved sharp blade that is rotated through ice.   I think we’ve come as far as we can with blade design and geometry.  Where we can make improvements on though is material composition which will make assemblies lighter and more durable and reliable.    I think this is where the KDrill really shines and no you do not need any type of gearbox adapter to use it.    It has made drilling holes actually quite fun.   

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've been using the same old 6" HT auger for years and it works fine in my little Ridgid Fuego. Cuts through ice all day on a 4ah battery. The only problem I have is that it breaks through rough and catches. I'm used to it but my buddies have a hard time sometimes.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've used a 5" mora and 5" lazer both by hand and on my brushed 20v lion drill with a pair of 1.5ah batteries and the cheap ht adapter - no complaints with either setup

Catchin' Fish

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
once you use a motor on top of your auger the work is gone and becomes fun to make holes. simply said.

the brand and size of bit will make more or less work for your motor is all.
look at the different types of wood and metal bits we have to choose from. basket saws to paddle bits all make a hole. it's the load on the tool that matters most. so which ever auger cuts the easiest by hand will be the easiest for the tool. that means more holes per charge and better longevity from the tool and battery. longer battery because it won't be fully discharged/charged (complete charge cycle) as much for the same amount of holes made. so that's the only thing besides if the tool can turn your bit that matters.

all of this could equate to overhead costs, depending on brand of motor you use for your bit. batteries only have so many charge cycles before needing replacements.

from the years of reading and personal messages it sounds like nils is the easiest to turn by hand. but, it comes with a higher cost.

most of this is for those who haven't gone mechanized yet.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
my setup is pretty cheap and gets the job done.i use a 18v porter cable drill,ice master adapter with either a 5"lazer or 6"mora auger on it.it works  and ive got a pro4 lite with 5" and 8 inch bit that I will drag out if need be its a pretty light auger.we might see ice over 2ft thick again in Michigan someday.. 

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I like the Mora augers because they are inexpensive and replacement blades are cheap and easily found... I stick with the Swedish blades and get a ton of holes between sharpenings. My 2c worth.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
This is where I am at, it has evolved since I started a few years ago:

I am starting my second full year of ice fishing.  I started with a Nils 6' orange and my little hitachi drill, (one that I already had) very similar to the one on the Nils box.      I already had two sets of Hitachi, 2 drivers and 2 drills, and each had a battery so I had 4 batteries. That was before I ice fished.  So I had extras to take with me.   It worked fine.  It had a 2.5 amp hour battery and could do about 20-25 holes on a charge.  I don't hole hop like some.  No clam drill plate in use at that time, didn't see the need for one with the 6'.  I did buy an extra cutting head for the Nils last winter, mine needed sharpened and i didn't want to wait for it.  Now have a spare, Frank sharpened it last month.  My only question was how long before I burn up the drill.

That is why I stayed with a 6" and upgraded my drill.  I use driver drills all the time at home, home remodeler -always improving house is my hobby. So i could justify a newer one.    I bought the Fuel18v - no hammer mode needed.

Now I want to upgrade to a 8" hole, I caught a few fish last year that were difficult to get through the 6".   Am thinking about the K drill 8".  Do I need a clam plate for 8" K Drill or just hook it to the Fuel?  I am impressed with the Nils as well but the 8" is almost a Kdrill price.   I have a clam plate that is missing some parts so i could get it going.

The fuel has a second handle you can clamp on the drill for either left or right sided use. 

As the the clam plate it is not needed for the Kdrill and fuel drill.   But if you have shoulder issues or anything else like that the clam plate will definitely add more stability to the set up. 
Don

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
The clam plate is not needed for any setup. It just makes the setup easier to use specially for women and wimps! ;D

My 6" Mora/ Clam plate/ M-18 Fuel setup weighs 12 lbs.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I love my clam plate. I have never attempted to use a drill with side handle, but I can't imagine it's easier than the plate

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
I love my clam plate. I have never attempted to use a drill with side handle, but I can't imagine it's easier than the plate

It's not easier, it is however, lighter!
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It's not easier, it is however, lighter!

Fair point, but the additional 4 or 5 pounds of the clam plate is a mere percentage of the weight of everything else in the jet sled.

I have a 8" strikemaster Mora, I wonder is between the weight of this set and the k drill/drill only up

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fair point, but the additional 4 or 5 pounds of the clam plate is a mere percentage of the weight of everything else in the jet sled.

I have a 8" strikemaster Mora, I wonder is between the weight of this set and the k drill/drill only up

Kdrill weighs 6.6 pounds

8" Mora 9 lbs
Clam plate 5 lbs

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
For those looking to save weight..

A regular 8" Mora is lighter, just under 4lbs... It's possibly the lightest 8" available, partly because its actually a 7" with 8" blades...

<°)))>{

This says 4lbs--
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Perhaps the Mora weight I listed included the handle. I just pulled the weight from the Amazon product specifications
Regardless, the 8" K drill is still

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
I have an 8" mora at home I will weigh it next week.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't think that the weight makes a difference in this case. My Jet Sled includes, at minimum:

* Quickfish 3I
* Auger/drill/plate
* Bait
* 2 pounder propane tanks
* Lil buddy heater
* 10 tips ups
* 2 jigging rods
* Live bait
* Libations and snacks

That doesn't include the coleman grill/stove combo on the days we make 2 meals on the ice

I am sure that I could adapt and be lighter, but i don't think the clam plate is my biggest concern...

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I don't think that the weight makes a difference in this case. My Jet Sled includes, at minimum:

* Quickfish 3I
* Auger/drill/plate
* Bait
* 2 pounder propane tanks
* Lil buddy heater
* 10 tips ups
* 2 jigging rods
* Live bait
* Libations and snacks

That doesn't include the coleman grill/stove combo on the days we make 2 meals on the ice

I am sure that I could adapt and be lighter, but i don't think the clam plate is my biggest concern...

Oh, and the Vex

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Nope in your case a pound or two dont matter. I often hike up to 4 miles 1-way and a couple pounds makes a diff.  A small backpack with 3 rods a few lures scooper and carry my drill setup.  PBJ for meal.

No crowds! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Yeah, i get my steps in for sure, but mostly flat. Nothing me and the jet sled can't handle (so far)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Kdrill weighs 6.6 pounds

8" Mora 9 lbs
Clam plate 5 lbs

I did a weigh check back when I built my unit. On my fuel/clam plate/nils it came in at 15lbs if I remember.

The weight of these setups is all pretty much an insignificant difference. They all are great because you don't have to drag around a 45-50lb Jiffy model 30 to punch holes.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
I did a weigh check back when I built my unit. On my fuel/clam plate/nils it came in at 15lbs if I remember.

The weight of these setups is all pretty much an insignificant difference. They all are great because you don't have to drag around a 45-50lb Jiffy model 30 to punch holes.

I was watching some fishing shows last sunday morning, when a Jiffy commercial came on, I started laughing. I don't care what you run as far as the brushless electric drill/auger combo, you won't be disappointed. If you want to shave more weight, don't add the Clam plate and use the nut buster handle that comes with your drill. MKE has a really nice one with theirs.

I have a feeling you're going to be seeing gas/propane, chinese motors,  gonezo before too long.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Yah I need to sell my gas augers b4 they become worthless- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
I WAS gonna say: Chevy, Ford Mopar all the same only different and then I read the last two posts.  ::)

I see the writing on the wall and will probably shop sooner than later for electric. Even though I like 10" holes for some applications no reason I can't drill a "double wide" with an 8" or even a 6".

Hmmmm. Thanks for putting my brain in gear!  :thumbsup:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I WAS gonna say: Chevy, Ford Mopar all the same only different and then I read the last two posts.  ::)

I see the writing on the wall and will probably shop sooner than later for electric. Even though I like 10" holes for some applications no reason I can't drill a "double wide" with an 8" or even a 6".

Hmmmm. Thanks for putting my brain in gear!  :thumbsup:
Not an issue using a 10”. My setup will drill hundreds of holes every season. Late ice over 2’ is not a problem.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.