The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Good West Grand Trip! Culinary Update for StolenB8  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Good West Grand Trip! Culinary Update for StolenB8
« on: Mar 02, 2017, 03:08 PM »
I’ll take 3 whitefish and a day catching and releasing them over a 15# togue any and everyday! ;) West Grand Lake trip was a blast and catching....! Good time! We all caught a good bunch of fish. Whitefish, Salmon and Lake Trout. Most salmon realeased. Kevin and Danner caught a bunch of em. The biggest salmon was 20”ish. Biggest whitefish where in the 18-19 range. Lots of fish on; lots of fishing looking. Lots of flags....
Danner and Kevin this morning.....Slow bite

I call em pretty fish! I don’t think blacktrap gives em enough respect... :woot: :whistle: :icefish:

I’m learnin’

Wednesday was good catching. All the days were freaking great with good friends, good weather and good fishin’!
 :thumbsup: :icefish:  :tipup: ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Good West Grand Trip! Some pics.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2017, 03:52 PM »
Good job.  Nothing wrong with that haul.   As far as respecting them, they are my favorite winter time fish to catch

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2017, 03:56 PM »
Good job.  Nothing wrong with that haul.   As far as respecting them, they are my favorite winter time fish to catch

Just messin’ with ya! We had a great time!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:02 PM »
Looks like it.  It's been good fishing down there this year for sure

Offline franklin fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:40 PM »
  Nice pile of fish.  That sounds like an awesome time.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2017, 05:06 PM »
I'd say you made out alright. Nice haul Joe
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline StolenB8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2017, 05:09 PM »
Well done Clammy don't forget to show us what they look like on a plate! I might get over that way soon so hope they stay on the bite.

Offline relentless

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:09 PM »
awesome fish! how was the ice by the public launch? would like to get my side by side on mid week.  thanks in advance!

Offline Morfishin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09:36 PM »
Good job :icefish:
Fish have tails

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2017, 05:23 AM »
Guys, Sounds like a great time. Nice haul!

Offline Ohiocatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always a bigger fish
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:02 AM »
Tagging and bagging! Great job

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:16 AM »
Great looking batch of fish, Joe @)

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:02 AM »
Looks like a great time and you caught some fish too.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:26 AM »
Another successful journey for you Joe, getting to be about time for you to get back to work and leave the fish for us retired guys. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2017, 07:53 AM »
Another successful journey for you Joe, getting to be about time for you to get back to work and leave the fish for us retired guys. ;D

Yep, Starting tomorrow. Just prepping the store and getting ready to order equipment. Should be open by the end of April. I have ZERO idea what my schedule will be form now on. One thing I can tell you though; I shall be upgrading my sled or buying a wheeler. Everything else will be ready to blast off at a moment’s notice! Wish I found tie to get down your way...... I seem to be addicted to getting on the whitefish for the moment.  ;D :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Yep, Starting tomorrow. Just prepping the store and getting ready to order equipment. Should be open by the end of April. I have ZERO idea what my schedule will be form now on. One thing I can tell you though; I shall be upgrading my sled or buying a wheeler. Everything else will be ready to blast off at a moment’s notice! Wish I found tie to get down your way...... I seem to be addicted to getting on the whitefish for the moment.  ;D :thumbsup: :icefish:

No problem on the visit, the invite is always there for you. ;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2017, 05:26 PM »
Nice catch!! Looks like you had a great time!

Offline Frankr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:37 PM »
What kind of reels are you using? Where did you buy them?

I use a small spinning reel. However, even with a swivel my jigs spin around because of the line twist.

Nice fish photos BTW.

Frankr

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2017, 06:20 AM »
What kind of reels are you using? Where did you buy them?

I use a small spinning reel. However, even with a swivel my jigs spin around because of the line twist.

Nice fish photos BTW.

Frankr

I’ve got several.....I hardly use my spinning reels anymore. I’ve gt several brownings. All in-line, bait casters and one of these now  http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=747752 

Found the bait casters at Marden’s. They don’t work well in below freezing conditions, unless you are in a shack. The eagle cal in-lines are good and pretty cheap$. The black betty in-line is the best of that type, imho. I’m going got pick ups another 13 fishing teardrop.

I use Seaguar 4# test on them all. You can get a good couple years out of your line with the inlines and the others I mentioned.

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2017, 07:35 AM »
Nice bunch of fish, and using the bait casting reels, I'll have to try. Got a couple small ones on hand.

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2017, 02:23 PM »
Nice looking haul! I managed to grab the 13Fishing Whiteout rod at Mardens earlier this year, wish I had put a 'caster or inline on it instead of the spinner. Maybe throw a black betty on it and go 13 all the way.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2017, 04:52 PM »
Why is it a right handed reel the hangs below the rod has  the handle on the left and a right handed reel that sits on top of the rod has the handle on the right ???

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #22 on: Mar 04, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Why is it a right handed reel the hangs below the rod has  the handle on the left and a right handed reel that sits on top of the rod has the handle on the right ???

HAHA! I dunno!

The former I reel forward. The latter I reel backward. Both with the handle on the LEFT. The drag control has lost me a few fish that way.  If you use the reels the same way - eyes pointing down - the drag controls are opposite. SOAB! :unsure:

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 04, 2017, 05:31 PM »
Down is left, up is right. Reel in fish with all your might....

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Mar 04, 2017, 05:35 PM »
 :thumbsup: :icefish:
Down is left, up is right. Reel in fish with all your might....

Offline Bourbon and Bass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:04 PM »
I know that Spinning vs Baitcasting in the summer breaks down like this: Baitcasters are winches, so you would want your dominant hand reeling. This is why most BC reels are right handled. Spinning you are using the rod to bring the fish in more than the reel, so you'd want your dominant hand working the rod. Thus most spinners are left handled.

Who knows with jigreels though? Just keep em guessing.

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:09 PM »
I know that Spinning vs Baitcasting in the summer breaks down like this: Baitcasters are winches, so you would want your dominant hand reeling. This is why most BC reels are right handled. Spinning you are using the rod to bring the fish in more than the reel, so you'd want your dominant hand working the rod. Thus most spinners are left handled.

Who knows with jigreels though? Just keep em guessing.
I've winced in a few with my spinner reel before. Wernt fun and made some funny noises but she worked
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:33 PM »
I have trouble finding the bait casters with the crank on the left . I like the rod on my right hand .  I just shake my head watching guys cast with there right and then switch to there left every cast . 

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2017, 01:08 AM »
I have trouble finding the bait casters with the crank on the left . I like the rod on my right hand .  I just shake my head watching guys cast with there right and then switch to there left every cast .

I just reel the bait caster backwards. Then I have to remember which way the drag turns when I need adjust it given the fish.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Good West Grand Trip! Culinary Update for StolenB8
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2017, 05:56 AM »
Crisping for some Thai Chili Sauce

The ever popular Whitefish Loin in corn flour.

AAAANNNNNDD Everybody’s favorite! Whitefish and Togue in brine prepping for pickling in wince sauce a couple different ways Be ready in about 2 weeks!

BON APPETIT!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.