Author Topic: R.I.P. Amazon  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: R.I.P. Amazon
« Reply #30 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:06 PM »
You still renting that Igloo or did your landlord finally talk you into buying the place? ;D ;D I know it was pretty spendy IIRC.
Oh wait I think that remote Igloo your building probably sucked up a bunch of your cash so maybe not? ;D

Yep, the off grid igloo is eating up all me cash!!!   ;D

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #31 on: Feb 24, 2017, 04:38 PM »
Drifter, you're lucky.  If you were in Western PA, the way the climate has changed there, you'd be living in a mud puddle...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #32 on: Feb 24, 2017, 09:15 PM »
I also got the amazon cc and prime for free 2 day shipping on most stuff with the 5% cash back on any amazon purchases with the amazon cc pretty much washes out the sales tax.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 24, 2017, 10:00 PM »

Yep, the off grid igloo is eating up all me cash!!!   ;D

Man I was gonna let you know that was a scam.....the landlord dumped the igloo since he felt it was gonna melt due to global warming.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 24, 2017, 11:07 PM »
Great topic for a post.  I'm sure you are correct.  Amazon's antiquated business model certainly seems to be doomed much like Cabelas, Gander, Montgomery Ward and the Fuller Brush Guy who used to come around selling door to door.  They are going to shut down any day now I'm sure.  It is interesting to watch how a reasonably free market economy matures over a 50 year time period.  Walmart's success is/was managing costs in terms of hard dollars I think.  Amazon may have trumped them by helping consumers better manage one of life's only true commodities...time.  Everything circles though and fiduciary responsibilities over time tend to decimate a customer base.  We recently started having milk delivered to the front porch again though.  Just like 1965.  I don't really care if it costs a little more.

I don't love em or hate em but I do find myself using Amazon more and more and they own Christmas around our place.

Offline Yoopergirl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice chicks DO exist!!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:59 PM »
I live in the Arctic!!! Shopping online is how we get most of our stuff that isn't available or too expensive here in town.
I ordered a set of shears for cutting the cement siding I'm installing @ the cabin this year.
Even with US exchange, shipping and tax it was still at least $50 cheaper to order on Amazon.com than it was to order on Amazon.ca
   ???

My sister has me order stuff for her all the time.  Then I ship it to her in Quebec.  Not sure why the prices on things are so much higher on Amazon.ca??!!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:21 PM »
Everyone's become more competitive as a result of Walmart/Amazon pressure. I was looking for some of those Gamma Seal lids for 5 gal. pails. Pretty pricey stuff, over $8 each most everywhere: eBay, Amazon, Walmart. Found a place I could get a 6 pack for < $7 per piece. Then..... $21 shipping. Are you kidding me?

My search changed on that basis. Local Home Depot has 'em on the shelf or < $8 BUT they also have the 6 pack (only on line), ship to store for free SAME PRICE AS THE BOZOS THAT WANTED $21 S/H.

We're back to real shopping. Nothing is all under one roof anymore and that's good.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #37 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:28 PM »
Great topic for a post.  I'm sure you are correct.  Amazon's antiquated business model certainly seems to be doomed much like Cabelas, Gander, Montgomery Ward and the Fuller Brush Guy who used to come around selling door to door.  They are going to shut down any day now I'm sure.  It is interesting to watch how a reasonably free market economy matures over a 50 year time period.  Walmart's success is/was managing costs in terms of hard dollars I think.  Amazon may have trumped them by helping consumers better manage one of life's only true commodities...time.  Everything circles though and fiduciary responsibilities over time tend to decimate a customer base.  We recently started having milk delivered to the front porch again though.  Just like 1965.  I don't really care if it costs a little more.

I don't love em or hate em but I do find myself using Amazon more and more and they own Christmas around our place.

Ya My post was a little off. What I was getting at was that due to Amazon being put on a fair playing field with charging taxes they will lose a decent amount of business. They had the market on the cheapest price about 90%+ of the time due to no taxes and free shipping. Now they really aren't the cheaper source anymore.....Sure they will be around, but sales will slow and growth will slow.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:48 PM »
To the OP, it's a Iowa thing.  Legislature passed a law that is basically what 3300 said.  It always was tied to if the retailer had a physical property in the state but not anymore...

That's incorrect. Iowa has never passed such a law and there is not one in the legislature at this time. Amazon started charging sales tax voluntarily to avoid future conflicts and expensive legal battles in the case that a particular state sued it (Amazon). It is purely a voluntary hedge against future litigation. In fact, Amazon actually approached the Iowa Dept of Revenue and informed them of their plans well in advance of January 1. Iowa is only one of several states in which Amazon is doing this.

I mean this respectfully but he myth that Iowa passed a law to force Amazon to charge tax is a joke and I wish people would stop perpetuating it. I'm sure you heard it from someone else and were just passing it on, but it pays to check facts. Fake information is bad for everyone.

Offline lingcod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09:39 PM »
I have rancher friends in CO who order most of their household stuff from Amazon Pantry, they're 25 miles from the nearest paved road.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 02, 2017, 10:21 PM »
I've only had bad service with Amazon.  I ordered 3 items and I got ripped off on all the items.  First was a battery for a cell phone.  The first battery went dead within a few hours with the phone on standby.  The second battery was supposed to be stronger but the same thing happened....ok....I got a couple of hours more.  Next item....I never received.  I looked up the company and found out it was in Hong Kong and were notorious for not sending sold items.  The only positive feedbacks probably came from their friends.  These peddlers start a consortium and the sell stuff to each other and give positive feedback for each purchase. 
  Seller was Candace Hicks.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2017, 02:31 PM »
That's incorrect. Iowa has never passed such a law and there is not one in the legislature at this time. Amazon started charging sales tax voluntarily to avoid future conflicts and expensive legal battles in the case that a particular state sued it (Amazon). It is purely a voluntary hedge against future litigation. In fact, Amazon actually approached the Iowa Dept of Revenue and informed them of their plans well in advance of January 1. Iowa is only one of several states in which Amazon is doing this.

I mean this respectfully but he myth that Iowa passed a law to force Amazon to charge tax is a joke and I wish people would stop perpetuating it. I'm sure you heard it from someone else and were just passing it on, but it pays to check facts. Fake information is bad for everyone.

Michigan’s New Amazon Tax Law Takes Effect October 2015
http://www.taxrates.com/blog/2015/01/19/michigans-new-amazon-tax-law-takes-effect-october-2015/

Michigan is the 23rd state in the union to enact such a law.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #42 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:33 PM »
We took the legit hit in WI when Amazon built a big distribution center in Kenosha. It's still pretty much OK. Hey, I gotta pay sales tax in a brick and mortar shop but I have the convenience of shopping from my living room in my shorts and having it delivered to my doorstep. My time and resources in travel aren't free....

But like I said, Amazon ain't the only game in town anymore. Gotta shop if you really want a price.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 03, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Michigan’s New Amazon Tax Law Takes Effect October 2015
http://www.taxrates.com/blog/2015/01/19/michigans-new-amazon-tax-law-takes-effect-october-2015/

Michigan is the 23rd state in the union to enact such a law.

The poster I quoted said Iowa passed a law requiring Amazon to charge tax. Not Michigan. You won't find a similar law in Iowa because it does not exist.

And as I mentioned earlier, Amazon has voluntarily begun charging sales tax in several states. In fact, many of the states you referenced passed those laws after Amazon voluntarily did so. The reason they did this was to collectively require all e-commerce sites to pay tax, not just Amazon. A little research goes a long way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.