Author Topic: R.I.P. Amazon  (Read 3459 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
R.I.P. Amazon
« on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:03 AM »
I noticed when I went to buy something on amazon they are charging taxes now....plus if you don't catch it and change the shipping option they charge you shipping. Amazon use to be a deal when you didnt have to pay taxes, but now I might has well pick it up at the store.......no money savings and a pain to return or exchange online......Nice while it lasted. Never could figure out how they got away without charging taxes. Kinda pointless to buy online now IMO.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: R.I.P. Amazon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:23 AM »
Amazon Prime is great but, only if some member of the family spends too much!      :whistle:

Not guilty.      :angel   

Example:  Iced driveway, friends 7 week old AWD SUV sideways and stuck. Ordered low profile chains, free shipping. Chains arrived in 38 1/2 hours.  No tax. That's good service when you live 75 miles from a small population center.

Another way to win, "Subscribe and Save" of regular used items, be they medical supplies, pet foods, paper goods, etc. The advantage can go to 40%.

So, if you know how to play their game, you win every time.      :clap: ;)2

YMMV.    >:D

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:19 AM »
It's a change in tax laws, I can't remember exactly what they call it. Many big online retailers already charge nationwide tax. Within the next few years, all online shops will charge the same tax.

The huge issue I have with online vs local is my local shops absolutely suck when it comes to product selection and availability that I'm forced to shop online 90% of the time.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:29 AM »
It's simple, if you don't like Amazon, don't buy there.

That said, I buy a lot off Amazon. 99% of my wood working tools and accessories come from there. I live close to Rochester, NY, but there's only a couple of stores the sell tools and accessories for wood turning. They're both ridiculously high priced with limited selection. I do buy from other out of state suppliers, but I have to watch the  shipping charges very closely. Many charge up to 35% for shipping. It's a low cost profit center for them.

Paying for Amazon Prime may not be for everyone. By keeping track of my shipping savings, I've found it to be well worth the cost to me. As for returns, I've only had to return one item. I called, they sent me a replacement  immediately along with a return shipping label and gave me 45 days to return the defective item. Pretty painless if you ask me

Taxes are a fact of life. You pay them at local retailers, you pay them online. Shipping costs can be beat if you look around. Add that to the 5% cash back for using their credit card and it's a win, win.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline dukhnter8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:46 AM »
I've returned a few things through amazon and had no issues. Go into your account and go through the return process. Every time I have gotten a ups return label so no money out of my pocket.

I thought taxes were due to having a physical location in that state. Years ago cabelas didn't charge tax for NY orders, but since they got the Buffalo store they have to charge taxes.

They don't always have the best prices but many times do and if you play the amazon prime game you get shipping and other deals.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:54 AM »
In Illinois You are supposed to report any and all online purchases on your state tax return. So you can pay the tax on your online purchases.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2017, 06:58 AM »
I thought taxes were due to having a physical location in that state. Years ago cabelas didn't charge tax for NY orders, but since they got the Buffalo store they have to charge taxes.

That is right, if there is a "Brick and Mortar" in the state then you will have to pay the sales tax (if your state has a sales tax)...

In Illinois You are supposed to report any and all online purchases on your state tax return. So you can pay the tax on your online purchases.

I wonder what the % is of people that report that???

sunniewally

« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:08 AM »
use their online credit card and save 5%.   save time and gas when trying to find something locally and not finding what you want, and still have to order it.
love amazon for most things but have to watch prices.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:47 AM »
That is why Amazon has built at least a warehouse or distribution center in every state in the country. They were under serious pressure about the sales tax thing. I still shop around and many times still find the best deal at amazon including s&h cost. Plus I live in the boonies and have to figure in gas cost if I want to buy at a brick and mortar store.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2017, 08:29 AM »
it's not amazon that wants to charge tax, it's laws that are forcing them to do so just like the stores you walk into have to. it's more work for them and time.
it's called the amazon fair play tax law here in michigan.  maybe the same for any state that has the tax in place.

part of the reason to have it is to make it fair play across the table when shopping. as you pointed out, you don't pay tax if you don't have to, this means you shopped them to avoid tax and didn't shop stores that charged you. this is why it's a fair play tax. now you have to shop stores or will think about it at least because you have to pay them now. think of how much sales were lost due to not paying them from your local stores. it's not fair they have to pay even more tax by having the store open, but lose sales because amazon didn't charge tax.

that's no reason to not shop them. even with a tax, they are still cheaper than stores, unless stores have nice sales. at least you get a retail break in cost shopping amazon. the tax law went into affect some time ago here and i still shop just as much as ever. my state gets the money, not other states. the amazon card offsets most of that cost anyway.

we share a prime account that i pay for and that is even more saving and you get streaming movies and tv shows and free shipping and free returns. recently they have included the free shipping label to be used for your mail box so you don't even have to leave your home to buy or return.

run some thing you want to buy in a search engine and see who's name is always in that list.
i use rockauto to shop car parts and then use their numbers to shop amazon and get a much better price. i do the same with appliance parts too.

not every thing is free returns tho. if you buy from a prime seller it is always free. you have to a pay a little more normally from those sellers, but not always.

i am waiting for ebay to be forced to play the same game next.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:17 AM »
Hah if my wife could she  would order groceries on Amazon prime... :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:39 AM »
I like to shop on line because I can avoid all the grumps at the brick and mortars griping about shopping on line...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:48 AM »

Might not be the same as prime or be included with membership, but I think you can,... some stuff anyway. I think its called amazon pantry... My wife uses it!

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:59 AM »
I live in the Arctic!!! Shopping online is how we get most of our stuff that isn't available or too expensive here in town.
I ordered a set of shears for cutting the cement siding I'm installing @ the cabin this year.
Even with US exchange, shipping and tax it was still at least $50 cheaper to order on Amazon.com than it was to order on Amazon.ca
   ???

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:01 AM »
Might not be the same as prime or be included with membership, but I think you can,... some stuff anyway. I think its called amazon pantry... My wife uses it!

Please don't tell her that.....

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:19 AM »
 :roflmao: :whistle: :-X

That secret is safe with me!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:35 AM »
Lol they even sell "easy buttons" that you place by your product that you need more of and just push the button and it's ordered. It's mostly for sundries that run out on a monthly-ish routine, but it's an option.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:04 AM »
To the OP, it's a Iowa thing.  Legislature passed a law that is basically what 3300 said.  It always was tied to if the retailer had a physical property in the state but not anymore, at least with the big boys like Amazon.  I still use it but have searched other online businesses to buy from...like FishUSA, Jet.com (owned by Walmart but doesn't charge tax) and to my knowledge Cabelas is not charging tax for Iowa yet.  The law can add 6% which does make it the same as some local business, but the advantage to buying from in my living room is huge. 

Returns from Amazon do suck if there is no defect or anything wrong with what you ordered because while they do give you the UPS label, if nothing was wrong with the product they deduct about $7 from your purchase price upon giving the refund.   Always mark that something was wrong...

It was supposed to take effect in Iowa at January 1st but they were slow to get started and not all my purchases this have the tax included.

I will be buying a $1700 Terrova trolling motor this year, you can bet it will be from an online tax free retailer.
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Neil McCauley

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:11 AM »
No taxes on craigslist

No taxes on stuff listed in forum for-sale sections

;D  :tipup:

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:39 AM »
we just got our new amazon cc's.  5% back.  i'm good.  we love amazon. 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:43 PM »
I live in the Arctic!!! Shopping online is how we get most of our stuff that isn't available or too expensive here in town.
I ordered a set of shears for cutting the cement siding I'm installing @ the cabin this year.
Even with US exchange, shipping and tax it was still at least $50 cheaper to order on Amazon.com than it was to order on Amazon.ca
   ???

Do they give you  a fly over delivery  time so you can be out there to catch it??     :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2017, 02:46 PM »

Do they give you  a fly over delivery  time so you can be out there to catch it??     :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

NAH, it comes in on the daily dog sled team!!!!    :whistle: :whistle:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2017, 04:53 PM »
To the OP, it's a Iowa thing.  Legislature passed a law that is basically what 3300 said.  It always was tied to if the retailer had a physical property in the state but not anymore, at least with the big boys like Amazon.  I still use it but have searched other online businesses to buy from...like FishUSA, Jet.com (owned by Walmart but doesn't charge tax) and to my knowledge Cabelas is not charging tax for Iowa yet.  The law can add 6% which does make it the same as some local business, but the advantage to buying from in my living room is huge. 

Returns from Amazon do suck if there is no defect or anything wrong with what you ordered because while they do give you the UPS label, if nothing was wrong with the product they deduct about $7 from your purchase price upon giving the refund.   Always mark that something was wrong...

It was supposed to take effect in Iowa at January 1st but they were slow to get started and not all my purchases this have the tax included.

I will be buying a $1700 Terrova trolling motor this year, you can bet it will be from an online tax free retailer.

I mean I did buy a lot of stuff from amazon, and will buy a few things. But not like before. I mean The no tax thing was a nice savings and I always though it was B.S. they didnt have to charge taxes. However, I took advantage of it. Most stuff isn't really any cheaper on amazon now for me. I think It is probly a location thing......being between sioux city and sioux falls and a walmart within 20min or so in every direction and a midwest location prices seem to be pretty decent. Might be due to about everything in the country seems to move through here from the river, rail, truck, pipeline, or electrical lines. I just wish I could fill my e85 vehicles straight from the ethanol plants then my fuel cost would be really cheap. I feel for some of those guys out in south dakota and northern Minnesota though........what they pay for groceries is absolutley fricking nuts. A few of the bigger things might have some savings however it is nicer to have a place for service on them if something is wrong. I mean I'll use Amazon for some stuff, but not near what I did.

LOL I bought a Terrova a few years ago for the auto pilot and stuff due to the no tax and free shipping. Saved a bunch.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2017, 05:24 PM »

Just hope they never build a Wegmans in your area Dom. She can order online and have the groceries waiting for pickup or have them delivered.

I'm lucky. My Bride hates shopping for anything.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2017, 07:51 PM »

NAH, it comes in on the daily dog sled team!!!!    :whistle: :whistle:

Do they leave it by the out house.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 23, 2017, 09:23 PM »
Do they leave it by the out house.

Nah, they leave it by the entrance to me igloo!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:37 PM »
Nah, they leave it by the entrance to me igloo!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
You still renting that Igloo or did your landlord finally talk you into buying the place? ;D ;D I know it was pretty spendy IIRC.
Oh wait I think that remote Igloo your building probably sucked up a bunch of your cash so maybe not? ;D
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #27 on: Feb 23, 2017, 10:39 PM »
Oops, erratum noted and corrected in Post 2 to read "Subscribe and Save" as found in the drop-down list when you click on "Account & Lists", while signed into your Amazon account. 

Then click on "Your Subscribe & Save" from that menu and notice a link to, "Learn about Subscribe & Save".

From there you're given a link to the "Subscribe & Save Store".

Additional items can be added to a recurring order for savings on that item plus.

But, everyone already knows all this so, I'm wasting my time and yours.   Sorry.    ;)2    :bow:

Amazon now has renewed life ~  May it live long, prosper and save you extra money for jigs.     :thumbsup: :roflmao:

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #28 on: Feb 23, 2017, 11:04 PM »
don't tell her she can  ;D

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2017, 05:19 AM »
Wal Mart just started free 2 day shipping and no clubs to join. And they sell a lot of items not sold in their stores.  Should give Amazon some competition.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.