Author Topic: What would you suggest?  (Read 1101 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What would you suggest?
« on: Feb 17, 2006, 05:30 PM »
What 2 man portable ice shanty would you reccomend? Why? Besides being light wieght, what are some other important features?
Would you recommed buying a used portable shanty?

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What would you suggest?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:11 PM »
 i have one of the original clam 2 man shacks couldn't ask for more iguess about 12 or 14 years old only had to replace some of the ends of the poles have used it plenty old ken

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Flip  shanties like the fishtrap definitely change the way you fish.  A nice, deep,
heavyduty sled.  A heavy canvas tarp.  Plenty of windows and storage.  Comfortable
seats.  They let you stay mobile and allow you to set up over existing holes on the ice.  This is a big plus over popups.  They should be going on sale soon.  I've never
seen a flip style shanty at garage sales.  Good luck.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:16 PM »
I just got the 2 man Fishtrap Clam Guide model If I could ever use it off of the pier!  :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

It has confortable swivel seats and looks like it is quality made. I'm looking forward to easily moving around the ice with it vs. a Shappel no pop up style shanty I have which is a pain in the butt to take up and put down.  
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2006, 06:30 PM »
Are you going to pull the shack by hand??  That is a big consideration, a lighter shack is much easier to pull.  I like the toughness of the Otter design, good sled and square poles.  But they weigh a lot.  The Frabill's seem like good shacks as well, not much experience with them.  Haven't looked at in Eskimo in a few years.  I have the FT Guide.  Not too heavy, but still sturdy, good tent, poles, and sled.  Comfortable seats as well.  The FT Yukon is a bit bigger, with a deeper sled, but obviously weighs more.  I'd go with the FT Guide again in a heartbeat.  On a side note, I put the runner kit on my Guide.  Though it portects the bottom a bit, it makes it harder to pull in snow.  I would only put the kit on again if I were pulling it by sled or ATV.

crowkiller

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:02 PM »
i have the 2 man frabill for a couple of years now very light tough to set up n take down in the wind by your self ,going to up grade to n Eskimo for next year. oh by the way 2 man frabill 199.00$ cabalas took 4 days to receive

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:13 PM »
I have the fish trap guide. I love it when the weather is cold enough
to use a shanty.

Offline shawner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2006, 10:53 PM »

I have the Trap Guide and love it. Easy to pull, good construction, comfortable seats, stowing space. A little more head room would be nice, other than that it was a great upgrade from the old HT pop up style we had, like a pinto to a caddy. Overall, weight and options considered, probably the best deal in my opinion. :tipup:

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:52 AM »
you boys got any pictures of those shanty's :)

Offline yooperdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:45 AM »
i like the clam portable, cause i move around lots
da splake chaser

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:12 AM »
I answer the same question like 3 times a week >:( :o

;)
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=33.0
Andrew

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2006, 08:33 AM »
Shappell DX3000.
Large windows open up to let the sun warm you on clear days. Seems to be a lot of room (with the HT folding chairs). Set's up in a few seconds and folds down just about as fast. Put the skiis on and it pulls very easy.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Lobo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hang in There !
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:15 AM »
I have to agree with Lobes. I've had my Shappell DX300 for three years now and I am very happy with it. It's a little trouble to fold up alone but a cinch with 2 people and I seldom go out alone anyway. Plenty of room, pulls well with the skies on it and sets up fast. :thumbsup:
Ross in Greenville, Mi.

God made the world 3/4 water and 1/4 land. So it's plain that he meant for us to fish 3/4 of the time and work 1/4 !

Offline Quack_Attack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2006, 12:06 PM »
Have a DX4000 Shappel and the old style Fish Trap (about the size of a Scout but with sliding bench seat).

The Shappel is a little tougher to set up but not all that bad for one, better for two. Lots of room for two people (rated for four  ::)) Ya ain't gonna move it a lot. Pulls fairly easy with the ski's.

The Trap is a bear to pull by hand long distances in deep powdery snow, but is more mobile with sufficient room for one fisherman.

Both can be loaded in the back of the truck by one but easier on the back with two.

Really like the looks of the new Trap Guide but looked a little heavy for one man loading, the new Trap Scouts look lightweight and compact and the Pro is a little roomier without much more weight.

If ya have an ATV I'd look at some of the new fliptop 2 - 3 man shelters out there now, the best of both worlds mobile and roomy, ya can actually stand up in a few of 'em. But watch the weight if ya might get stuck loading 'em in the back of the truck by yourself.

"If a man is standing in the middle of a forest speaking and there is no woman around to hear him...is he still wrong?"
- - George Carlin

Offline bassman79

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish on get the net!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2006, 03:41 PM »
trap guide---wouldnt leave home without it!!!!
work is for people who dont fish!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.