Author Topic: Tip-up tune up, Help!  (Read 3684 times)

Buzzard_Wing

Tip-up tune up, Help!
« on: Jan 13, 2003, 05:25 PM »
I have 5 tip-ups/traps that I bought on ebay and one that I bought for my father (Maine allows 5)
So my questions are what is the best 'line' to use, what to use for a 'flag' and how do you attach it.  They are in pretty good shape but any 'tune-up' or maintenance tipws would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: Tip-up tune up, Help!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2003, 06:10 PM »
check out some of the other tip up forms here they will give you all the info you want and more.

acsacmboy

Re:Tip-up tune up, Help!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2003, 05:18 PM »
dacron works the best. not sure about flags i would like to see the picture then i could maybe help

Offline RyGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2005 Ice Shanty Tournament Winner - LargemouthBass
Re:Tip-up tune up, Help!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2003, 06:37 PM »
What kind of tip ups are they?  If they are woodenfold outs, you can buy replacement flags and the metal whip antennas at local tackle shops or some department stores, Wally's Big K.

Line is all up to you and what you are going for.  There are tons of types and colors.  It is all personal preference.  I would put a leader on them though.
And the winner is>>>>

RyGuy

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2004, 07:58 AM »
The best ideas I have heard of for tipup flags and the metal arms are as noted . . .

Reflective tape for the flags, you can vary the color to your liking and type of use (night fishing and or day).

Metal arms can be custom bent from the metal straps found in old windshield wiper blades.

Anyone know a good idea or source for reels?

-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Tip-Up

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2004, 09:37 PM »
I just tie 2 or 3 pieces of flo orange flagging tape on mine.

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2004, 07:17 PM »
i use black dacron i catch trout using it use floracarbon leader but mono works but not as good i never use wire dont care for it ice fishing i have yet to have pikeral bite me off but pike and muskie have pleanty of times and it mostly happens at the hole any way still get to see the fish use just a shot or two to get the bait down and live shiners are hard to beat and fat heads a close second

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.