Author Topic: tipup line/hooks for pike  (Read 2961 times)

Offline pikemonster1441

• IceShanty Rookie
tipup line/hooks for pike
« on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:31 PM »
Hey guys after Pike fishing for 3years now with my uncle, Im finnaly going to start Pike Fishing with me and my buddies....I was just wondering what type of line you use for Pike and What #test.. and also what size and type trebel hooks do you use...any other tips will be great
Thanks, PIKEMONSTER
Tight Lines

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: tipup line/hooks for pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Pike monster:  Go over to the tips section, look under northerns and I'm sure you'll find lots of threads talking about this.  The tips is up in the upper right hand side of the main screen...not trying to put you off, but this toipic is theer and there are a lot of posts, I got a lot of tips for walleye fishing in the walleye category...Esox....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline pikemonster1441

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:17 PM »
thanks for the info

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:04 PM »
I like 15 pound HT Polar Vinyl Coated tip up line. It remains pliable and doesn't tangle, and sheds water completely and will not freeze up. Add a barrel swivel to the end of that and then 3 feet of 20 pound test fluorocarbon. Rig a pair of #8 or
#6 trebles quick strike style and you are set.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2006, 10:17 PM »
I use the Mason braided 30 lb. tip up line.  That vinyl coated stuff has too much memory.  I use Gamakatzu treble hooks (bleeding red) in size 2 or 4. 

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2006, 05:21 AM »
PM1441:  I use the braided nylon line as well, 30 pound minimum test strength.  In my experience if you use the braided line, use the heavier stuff and you're not going to get tangles or knots on the ice anyway, and if you do they'll be easy to untie.  I use the tan colored line so I can see which way the pike is running the line out so I can line up opposite and not drag the line on the bottom edge os the ice.  Big hooks, either #2 or #2/0's, until they start teething, gumming, whatever anybody wants to call it on here, then I switch to a #6 hook.

Gambell, I never used that poly coated line but I can see where it would develop a memory, especially in the colder climates.  Plus it's only 15 pound test and thats way too light for my liking....I think the key to avoiding major tangles on the ice is the way you lay the line out as you are bringing in a fish, generally I only get tangles,(bad ones) if the wind is tearing down the bay.  Esox....

billybono

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:21 AM »
  That vinyl coated stuff has too much memory.   

besided the fact its sooooo slippery  :o :o :o :o

billybono

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:15 PM »
I use the Mason braided 30 lb. tip up line.  That vinyl coated stuff has too much memory.  I use Gamakatzu treble hooks (bleeding red) in size 2 or 4. 

I have found the HT vinyl coated line not to have hardly any memory.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline pikemonster1441

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2006, 08:37 PM »
thanks for all the info guys i will put it to use when i go shopping this week to dicks sporting goods and gander mountain...i wish bass pro and buffalo NY would make up their mind about what there gunna do. i need a bass pro lol. but hopefully ill get to use my new stuff this weekend as it finnaly got cold and looks like its gunna stay cold.
PIKEMONSTER
TightLines

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2006, 05:52 AM »
>>I have found the HT vinyl coated line not to have hardly any memory.

Perhaps not in warmer climates....but here it develops memory and 15 pound is way too light for the potential hogs we've got swimming in these waters....

billybono

« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2006, 01:17 PM »

I think the key to avoiding major tangles on the ice is the way you lay the line out as you are bringing in a fish, generally I only get tangles,(bad ones) if the wind is tearing down the bay.  Esox....

ive been using and empty 5 gallon bucket to dump the line in......when im not to excited to remember  ;)

billybono

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.