The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Looking for Baitcasting Ice Rods  (Read 2111 times)

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking for Baitcasting Ice Rods
« on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I'm trying to find some decent baitcasting ice rods for less than $30.00.  The $40 Jason Mitchell Mackinaw rods are nice but just too expensive.

I'd like to use them for lakers and pike.  Heavy action but with some give in the tip -  not super stiff.  Capable of handling 3/8 oz to 3/4 oz lures.  I'd pair them with low profile baitcasters or Abu Garcia 5500c reels.  I'd like to have the trigger grip and not just turn a spinning rod upside down.   

Anyone have any suggestions?     

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
Re: Looking for Baitcasting Ice Rods
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:50 PM »
I have the Dawia TriForce rods. They work great
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline macho insecurity

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2017, 01:17 AM »
13 Fishing-Tickle Stick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:37 AM »
I have the Dawia TriForce rods. They work great

X2 ::)  Get them at Fish USA.   I have no idea where you can find a $20 bait caster?
Dick

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Spend the extra $10 and get the Mackinaw man.  You will not be disappointed, its exactly what you are looking for.  I have iced 10-12lb pike with mine, and have never felt vulnerable during the fight.  I also have a couple St Croix, but they are not as nice as the Mackinaw.  The Abu 5500 and Mackinaw is an IDEAL setup for pike and lakers.

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:29 AM »
Can make your own using an old fishing rod and a dowel for a handle. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:42 AM »
 ;D  SPOT  I knew you would come up with that advice ::)   I have so many old broken rods that I would simply modify one of them and steal one of my summer bait casters for the winter.  I love making my own stuff too ;D
Dick

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2017, 08:43 AM »
I've got ugly sticks I ordered right from the mfgr...about $25 shipped a couple years ago.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2017, 09:07 AM »
We have been using the old MITCHELL 36" BRUSH'N Rod for at least twenty years.  Have three of them, they are tough as nails, and exactly the action you are looking for.  Have landed lots of huge pike, and lake trout with Ambassadeur 5000 reels and 15# test mono.

All of the rods have had to have an eye or two replaced because of accidents, but the blanks and the handles are still working as they did when we first got them.  Keep an eye out at garage sales and on eBay. 

Here's one that sold a month ago. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITCHELL-36-BRUSHN-CASTING-ROD-BR36C-MED-NEW-SHORT-BANK-TROUT-FISHING-ROD-/391669521649

Don't give up.  They are out there, and you will find some.

Best,
Ted

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2017, 05:59 PM »
;D  SPOT  I knew you would come up with that advice ::)   I have so many old broken rods that I would simply modify one of them and steal one of my summer bait casters for the winter.  I love making my own stuff too ;D
Dick

I had to be THAT guy, didn't I?

To make one with a little less action to it you don't necessarily need to use the tip of the old rod. you can snip that off and use the thicker part. All you need to do is put on a new rod-tip. Replacement tips are easily available, and you can even get them with larger diameter rods in mind.

If you're trying to spend as little as possible a dollar worth of dowel, a rod tip and an old fishing rod are about as inexpensive as it gets. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12:57 PM »
Thanks for the help, everyone.  The Dawia TriForce rods are in my price range.  I'm going to order one.  If it doesn't work out, then I'll try the Mackinaw.

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations on the Triforce rods!  Two arrived in the mail today.   

I was a little leery because they are only rated as medium power for 1/8 to 1/4 oz lures.  But they have waaaay more backbone than I would have anticipated.  Perfect for the lures I fish.   Nice looking, too - much better than I would have anticipated at that price point. 

Can't wait to try them out. 

Thanks again.    ;D 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.