The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip Up Thigh Bag  (Read 1077 times)

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tip Up Thigh Bag
« on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:00 AM »
This year has been the first year that I have seriously made use of tip ups. In prior years, I didn't have particularly good luck and (frankly) didn't know what I was doing. Thanks to the help of a couple of friends, especially Dave (a hearty thank you!) I have really started to get into and enjoy chasing flags. But after the first few times out I realized that with a big spread out it got to be a real pain in the behind to walk back and forth to get everything I needed at the hole to deal with a fish and/or reset the tip up. Being a bit of a gear head I thought about what I could do and came up with this set up.

I got a military style thigh bag that straps to your thigh. I figured that a bag like this would have less bounce if I needed to move quickly. It had a ton of pockets (way more than I need) and best of all- it was $7.25 on EBay with free shipping. The MultiCam camo was a bonus (so much better than that digital crap!). I modified it a bit by adding a carabiner to clip lanyards to and I am all set.

Here are all the things I have in it:

A- 30 lb Boga Grip. Dealing with a gator at the hole is a lot easier with a Boga. My buddy showed me how I can keep the fish in the water and under control with the Boga while unhooking so the fish wasn't damaging itself on the ice. The ice and snow does a lot of damage to the fish's eyes and the cold is no good for the gills. Works great! And I get a weight.

B- 30 lb fluorocarbon tippet. When I need to replace what is on my tip up.

C- I got a 1 1/4" FatMax chisel, drilled a hole in it for a lanyard, sewed up a sheath for it. Now when I get to a hole and need to punch through the ice I have a tool specifically for that. No more using pliers that will end up iced up!

D- 12" Hemostat/Cutters. I have had this tool for close to 20 years now. It rocks! The length lets me get in to get hooks out with little danger of slicing the crap out of my fingers. If I need to cut the hook off because it is too deep the serrated cutters do a fine job of that.

E- Long Nose Pliers. Sometimes the pliers get the job done when the hemos can't. They also cut the leader material really well. And there are those times you just need a second tool to help get that pesky treble out... or to help keep the jaws open.

F- Rigging Box. This box has all sorts of goodies in it to let me re-set tip ups. From hooks to beads and swivels, it is all there!

G- Small Curved Hemostats.  I jig for panfish while I am watching the tip ups. Sometimes I need a smaller set of jaws to get the little jigs out of their mouths. How do they get the hook so deep so fast anyway?

H- Master Angler Tape. I gotta measure the fish to see if it is long enough, right? I keep looking at that 30" mark for the hybrid... gonna get it this year!

What I don't have in there yet but will by the weekend is a set of jaw spreaders. I typically round the ends of the jaws to cause less damage, but they are a great tool to have when dealing with toothy critters.

I also carry my bait slip in a pocket in the back of the bag.

What do you think guys?  It has really helped out! Made dealing with this 37", 10 lb pike a pretty simple affair! That is my 4th Master Angler species this year... one more and I have my pin the earliest and all through the ice! Fingers crossed for a hybrid this weekend!

Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline Zachery80

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tip Up Thigh Bag
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:08 AM »
Very nice set up. Its much better than my crap laying all over my jet sled not organized at all. Great job.

Offline 802clamjammer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:30 AM »
I catch a bunch of hybrids in the conn river

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:31 AM »
Ice fishermen are some of the most inventive people. I like it. May have to steal your idea for myself.  ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2017, 06:42 AM »
Nice setup!
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:17 AM »
I use the hook on the handle of my slush scoop to pull big pike out of the hole. I grab the smaller ones that I'm planning to throw back with my hands.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:29 AM »
Very nice set up!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:44 AM »
It's a great set up, but if I tried it, I'm so disorganized I'd just load it up with a jumble of gear just like I do with the buckets and sleds.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline Smelty88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:27 AM »
I would prefer the digi!
Think I'm gettin abite my flag's twitchin
twitter@wefishing2day IG: Smelty88

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:12 AM »
that is super sweet. where did you get the bag? i wounder if there are different styles. i would like a fanny pack type one. where are the line cutters?

Offline SKUNK-MASTER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:16 AM »
 ;D

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:34 AM »
Nice setup and Pike, good luck with the hybrid.

Offline CamoAndTieDye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:48 AM »
Very cool setup! And FlyPredatorVT, is that you with the carp on the cover of the 2017 F&W Fishing guide? Saw your pic above and thought "that guy looks familiar" LOL.

Offline Troutbum.vt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2017, 07:26 PM »
Great setup, I use an old military medic bag much the same way

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:12 PM »
Good idea Drew. I'll be looking around for one now

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:23 PM »
Looks a little more organized than just throwing all of your junk in a sled and toting that around from hole to hole.  ;D
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:01 PM »
Looks a little more organized than just throwing all of your junk in a sled and toting that around from hole to hole.  ;D

I'm guilty of that...even if I organize everything in my flipover perfectly, by the afternoon, everything is a scattered mess. I just found my digital scale in the back of one of my Clam seats that I was looking for all year! 

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2017, 03:51 AM »
Thanks for the props everyone! Here is where I got it. There's plenty of other options for colors. I just went cheap myself. https://www.ebay.com/itm/391289117919

And yep, that's me on the cover of the regs. A very cool honor to be there.
Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline fishy1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:45 AM »
im with vt matt and spot i am very disorganized by the end of the day but try and it doesnt help. im a little impatient i guess. i like it drew. go get that hybrid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.