The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice auger Form  (Read 8038 times)

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
Ice auger Form
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:29 PM »
Ok; I have more than most!!!!  And watching post after post asking what is good or bad here is my assessment of augers. Sorry this might be over done but hey lets get one thread on the topic. No more questions I hope.

Gas,
Jiffy 30 old reliable. My first power auger. Took a while to realize that the mix in not 50:1 its 24:1 took 3 years. Read the instructions. LOL after figuring that out it’s a good runner. But got frustrated with it so I bought an Eskimo Marco M43 50:1 and loved it until the gas tank started leaking. Go figure. Headache to buy a new tank but it was the flaw in the design, so I bought two to be safe. Hasn't leaked yet on the new tank.

Propane,
Pro 4 model Love it. Love it. Peace of crap!!!! LOL, when I don't have a fuel line issue. Which this weekend I took it out and never made it onto the ice. Fuel line leaked with the regulator. Now jiffy has fix the issue with a newer generation 3, but I still have the second gen so I get to keep cussing at it. But calling into jiffy customer service they helped me bring my old jiffy 2 to a gen 3 mode. Best investments I’ve made. But after calling a few times? Trying to get the mod complete, I became a pain and before I knew it I was a being dismissed. I was being called back but after one ring I was hung up on. Really!!!!! So, as for customer service??? Good but I’ve never been so disappointed. I just hope my department never does something like that. I very ashamed of jiffy’s support. Pour and sham. Give the customer the pickle. I was going to buy more and NOW I just don’t know!!!!!
I tried Eskimo propane just as good. Customer service, I can say I’ve never had a complaint. Great support.

Electric,
Well this year the K-drill is the way to go? ? Ya you want me to spend how much for a bit??? I picked up a couple at the St Paul Icefishing show and liked it but for the money I just couldn't get my head rapped around it. So after comparing a lot of electric drills. The green one can't remember the name. But after having a friend buy one!!! ION Great drill.. But my complaint is, it keep on walking on me… Bloody hell, 500 bucks and I can’t drill a straight hole. Go figure??  I decided to go with the clam plate, with a 7 inch eskimo bit. Finding the middle ground. Cheaper was my goal. Again new design for your drill. I have a 20V dewalt hammer drill and found out this year dewalt came out with a 6amp battery. Fiddle sticks because I bought two 5amp for the drill just to ice fish with. So I used the 3amp, 4amp, and 5amp batteries on the dewalt. 10 degrees or less Batteries sucked. Max I have gotten so far is 30 holes on a 5 amp battery. Loved it but after finally had my hands on a K-drill, Yep and yes!!! Ok I finally get it. I went out a purchased one. I decided to go with the 8 inch, and as of last weekend, yep Great investment. Yep I’m sold!!!!!!

Spud bar,

I have the Eskimo Two piece works great. Folds into two pieces for storage and convenience. It’s heavy enough to cut though the ice. Also have a shorty that is great to help get the frozen tipups out of the holes. Also it can save your life on soft spots or finding thin ice. But watch out on opening holes after an all night long soak. I broke more tipups hammering out the reel under the ice and accentually hitting the reel. Broke more reels than I would like. Need to figure a way to get them out of the ice. Ya they say help keep the hole open but after an all niter yep still frozen. But not that bad as an open tipup!!!!

Chainsaw,

My STIHL is a fine cutter. FYI if you decide to use one. Needs to be 20" plus bar, Why you ask trying to cut though 12 plus inches of ice with a 16 or 18 bar not so easy. Used it a couple times last year. Just put peanut or veggie oil in it so your not putting hydrocarbon in the water. 

My Conclusion,

So After using all types and still owning all more than I should I’m going to say propane. I don't smell like mix-gas trying to fill the auger. No gas in my house to fume me out. They fixed the issue with the new design Gen 3. After converting my auger to a gen 3 no complaints.
Second is very close call, I would say the electric. It’s light and easy to use. But battery is my issue. !!!! Really??? But I can’t complain nice very nice. Impressive. I’ll keep it. Great tool. Hope it gets a few more holes if not I’ll stay with propane.

As last resort is!!!!

Dynamite. Good luck I will just plead the 5th it was assume. 
No one left behind.     

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice auger Form
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:04 AM »
I've got the same Eskimo mako 43 auger. You can order a new grommet it comes with hose and filter. About 1 or 2 minute replacement. Took care of my gas leak. FYI
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline allornothing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:49 AM »
I have the gen 2 and haven't had any issues with it yet, this is my 5th season with it (i think) It's sure hard to beat not dealing with everything being coated in mixed gas, don't miss that even a little bit.

I'm curious, what did the conversion cost you?

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2017, 07:50 AM »
One more + for The Eskimo 43.  I have had 2 in the past 18 years, ALWAYS starts.  Funny thing is, the first one had gear box issues after 8 years of hard use.  Sold it to a buddy who had the time and inclination to fix it, and it is still going strong.   IMHO having the primer bulb is much better than choking.  Several of my friends had Jiffies, one switched to an Eskimo, too many times trying to get the POS started.

I am hoping by the time I need a new auger, the battery technology will make electric the way to go.....

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:16 PM »
Great post Special. I have a jiffy propane auger and have experienced the same. But will try to get a conversion done. Thx!

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2017, 12:40 PM »
Great info thanks.  I had a jiffy I got in 1980 till 2008 and it still ran, gave it to my son and bought strike master lazer mag.  I hated the blades so much I sold it and got good old chipper 10.25 blade auger.  I like to  be able to sharpen the blade any time I want and the lazer blades require special setup.  I just replaced the blade on the 8 year old chipper for the first time and have it as a spare.
olefish

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2017, 02:30 PM »
Anything is better than a hand auger.  Been there done that.  One year the Gorge had 2-3ft of ice in the arms and that is when I broke down and decided I wasn't young enough to hand drill them anymore.

I'm using a strikemaster with the honda engine on it.  Got to love those small honda motors.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2017, 04:31 PM »
I have a Eskimo z71 and have used it for years. It works but is heavy and gas.

Got the Kdrill and Milwaukee m18 and have yet to kill a single battery.

I guess if you can kill the 5ah battery Milwaukee offers a 9ah. 
Don

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2017, 08:49 PM »
I have the gen 2 and haven't had any issues with it yet, this is my 5th season with it (i think) It's sure hard to beat not dealing with everything being coated in mixed gas, don't miss that even a little bit.

I'm curious, what did the conversion cost you?

Cost was 70 bucks for the new regulator. Very easy done just wish they got back to me on the bottle. I still use the hose clamp stile. Not my favorite but it works. I had to re-rivet the old one and was hoping to upgrade it as well.  If jiffy would call me back to see if I can install the bottle clamp it would be great but I'm now the unwanted so??? I quit, it works and I'm finished asking. They don't want to respond I'll go somewhere else.
No one left behind.     

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2017, 09:10 PM »

Chainsaw,

My STIHL is a fine cutter. FYI if you decide to use one. Needs to be 20" plus bar, Why you ask trying to cut though 12 plus inches of ice with a 16 or 18 bar not so easy. Used it a couple times last year. Just put peanut or veggie oil in it so your not putting hydrocarbon in the water.

I don't run anything in my bar oil tank when using it for ice fishing.. I actually rinse it out with gas, and try to get it mostly cleaned out before running it.. Then try to clean it of any oil or dust/chips.. I'll also try to make a couple cuts away from where I'm fishing. Now when I cut the spear hole there is no oil slick.. Water provides lube and cooling...

Once I get it cleaned up like that it stays that way until summer.. I don't usually need to cut wood mid winter..

<°)))>{

Offline Skawdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's that time of year again!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2017, 02:04 AM »
I just acquired a 2009 StrikeMaster with a chipper blade on a 10.25" bit, topped with the German-made Solo 142 motor. That thing purrrrs and is very light weight in comparison, coming from a 1990's Eskimo carbureted ol'-trusty 9" bit. Picked her up for $250 and came with a MarCum LX-5i flasher. Now we're cooking with oil!
I don't just go FISHING... I go CATCHING.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2017, 08:07 AM »
I just acquired a 2009 StrikeMaster with a chipper blade on a 10.25" bit, topped with the German-made Solo 142 motor. That thing purrrrs and is very light weight in comparison, coming from a 1990's Eskimo carbureted ol'-trusty 9" bit. Picked her up for $250 and came with a MarCum LX-5i flasher. Now we're cooking with oil!
.     That's a steal.... good find !

Offline shotgun jones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 06, 2017, 04:19 PM »
Iran my eskimo hc40 for the first time sat. I love it starts 2nd pull every time
excuse me while i whip this out..

Offline flycefisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2017, 12:29 PM »
Opinions on the NILS hand augers?

Offline bh91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 10, 2017, 02:19 PM »
I think no matter what hand  auger is used  in 8 + inches of ice it kinda sucks

Offline Fryinpan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2017, 11:57 AM »
Flycefisher  I like my Nils.  have had several hand augars over the years including an old spoon style...The Nils  is the best I have used

Offline 21rsmith307

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2017, 01:42 PM »
dynamite should be on the top of list.....just sayin

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2017, 02:21 PM »
great analysis but I still dont get the issues people think they are having with the Ions. I press the trigger on mine and it drills holes. Never "walks", zero battery issues, its light, quiet and cuts like a champ. Every time I pick up my Z71 i remeber why i like the ION so much lol.

Offline Skawdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's that time of year again!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 21, 2017, 06:13 PM »
Opinions on the NILS hand augers?

The light-blue NILS hand augers are the best there is. Make sure it's at least 6-8" with dual blades and you'll be happier than the guy with an old augar that needs worked on while trying to set up his fishing holes in the morning... during the best hour of the bite... and can't fix it. ;)
I don't just go FISHING... I go CATCHING.

Offline austmoss

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2017, 07:43 PM »
I have a Jiffy Model 31 Legend that I got a few years ago.  It starts with the first pull every season and anytime I go out on the ice.  Definitely heavier than the propan augers but it always runs.

Offline Doz601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:00 PM »
Been kicking around the idea of one Anne's Eskimo propane but I heard the blades are garbage... can anyone confirm or deny ?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 21, 2017, 08:08 PM »
I have had in the past a Jiffy 30, 10 inch and it was ok but I was having fuel line freeze issues. I have 3 hand augers and the winner for me is of no doubt the finn bore 8" , that I just used again today since we are still at less then 12"s  of ice. It cut slices and dices like a pro. My all time fav is getting to be a bit old but runs and cuts great, I can get 35 - 40 ( @ 20 + inches of ice)holes a day on a single charge and it is now 9 or 10 years old it is the Strikemaster Electra Laser 12000. I have only done   2 things for it in the past for maintenance. 1) put a new battery meter on it  2) replaced the original battery last year only because I found that the battery that came with the auger was only good for 15 to 20 holes at 20"s + .  There was a third minor maintenance 3 years ago and that was to tighten the original blades that came with the auger. These blades have yet to be changed or sharpened. The ironic part is I do have a replacement set of blades here I bought 3 yrs. ago before I tightened up the originals are still in the box and in the package as shipped when ordered.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #22 on: Dec 21, 2017, 09:28 PM »
I had a spud for 21 years before I got an old model 30 jiffy 10".  Had it one winter and sold it back to the guy I got it from for the same $200, should never have gotten rid of it.  9 years ago I bought the jiffy  pro II STX 10", it would never start the first 30 pulls and the gear box always sounded like it was going to explode. After 400+- holes over that same period the compression went from 120 psi down to 100 psi and my small engine mechanic says time to get rid of it. Had the power head for sale now for 2 months, would take $75 but it doesn't sell.  I jut bought a demo replacement head for $170 with my third set of chipper blades. ...and, it too won't start if I don't yank on the pull string at least 30 times. Now, I need to get rid of this yellow problem and maybe next year, I get something with a battery and no yellow pull cord.  Maybe green would be a new color to explore, one with a better quality battery.

I still always take my back up spud when I go, and humorously enough, it too is yellow!
WYIfish
Thread killer

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2017, 10:31 PM »
I'm running a Dewalt 20V on a clam plate with 2, 4amp batteries. Love the system, fast, light, quiet. Running a 6" auger that's seems a bit small but have not needed a bigger auger yet, Pulled a 31" lake trout through with no problem. I may look for 8" auger down the road. All that being said when the ice gets 12" I run my 4stroke auger just because the batteries can't last long enough.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2017, 12:17 AM »
I still got my jiffy 30, never had a reason to replace after all these years and the thousands of holes it’s drilled.
Come on fish!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:29 AM »
been running Eskimo augers, sportsman still running and a z71 shark for the last five years, for over 20 years now, popped a gear once, dull blades and ran them to long pushing it through the ice, but have not had any other major problems, knock on wood, love the augers and parts are available and are shipped in a timely manner and the customer representive that I have talked to are always great and get you what you need.  Just seen Rocky Mountain here in town with a bunch of Eskimo augers to hold and look over seen two different propane augers there nice to hold them and see the weight of each one, they also have a couple different ion augers which was neat to look over for the battery powered ones.

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:47 AM »
great analysis but I still dont get the issues people think they are having with the Ions. I press the trigger on mine and it drills holes. Never "walks", zero battery issues, its light, quiet and cuts like a champ. Every time I pick up my Z71 i remeber why i like the ION so much lol.
X2  Used mine 2 seasons now and could not be happier with it. Love the reverse feature for clearing holes. I'm 66 yrs. young so the weight was another deciding factor :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2017, 07:50 AM »
X2  Used mine 2 seasons now and could not be happier with it. Love the reverse feature for clearing holes. I'm 66 yrs. young so the weight was another deciding factor :tipup:
.           What does that rig weigh in at ?

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 22, 2017, 09:49 PM »
I am still using a jiffy one arm bandit old 8" just keeps on cutting holes. got love it when it dies I think maybe the Ion will take its place.

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 22, 2017, 10:44 PM »
I still got my jiffy 30, never had a reason to replace after all these years and the thousands of holes it’s drilled.
Picked up my Jiffy 30 January of '89. 'Bout five years ago Went to the Hattie derby for first trip of the season and when I tried to fire it up it was seized. Straight to Walmart and bought another Jiffy 30 and it just doesn't run like the old one. Anyway took the plug out of the old one and let it set a couple years with some Marvel squirted in the hole. It will now run but not but for just a few seconds. I'm sure as heck no mechanic but hope someday to get it back to life. They're great machines but these old bones are telling me I really need one of the new light electric ones.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.