The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Smoker- Trout vs. Whiteys  (Read 1955 times)

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
Smoker- Trout vs. Whiteys
« on: Jan 31, 2017, 01:31 PM »
So Mfish posted a pic of a great bunch of whiteys that he intends to smoke. My best friend/fishin partner also loves to smoke the whiteys,... it's his favorite fish for the smoker! I've smoked both trout and whitefish and prefer the nice red fillets I get from Hebgen Rainbows (browns are pretty good too).So I guess that would be my fav for the smoker. That said I've also smoked some flathead lake trout that had a real pale white meat similar to whitefish. I'd still vote for the red rainbows. So there are your choices,... what's your fav? Rainbows or Whitefish? unless you really like the lake trout, but that's like a Green Party vote and counts for trout!  ;)2

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Smoker- Trout vs. Whiteys
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:51 PM »
just throwing this out there..but I think a lot of people have never made fish jerky...I agree with ya kyle..when you get into wild red meat trout.yum...brine em in your preferred way..smoke em in your preferred way..when done...put them in a dehydrator till jerky...then freeze and pull out as needed..

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Lake Superior whitefish get my vote. Just a great fish for the smoker. Mild flavor  and easy to do. Lakers would be my second choice depending where they come from and size. Smaller are better for Lakers.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:09 PM »
just throwing this out there..but I think a lot of people have never made fish jerky...I agree with ya kyle..when you get into wild red meat trout.yum...brine em in your preferred way..smoke em in your preferred way..when done...put them in a dehydrator till jerky...then freeze and pull out as needed..

I think you're right but man do I llove playing around with different brines and variables that make each batch it's own unique flavor. My dad would tell you he loves whitefish but I just love the trout I keep. 17-20 inch bows that have beautiful color to the fillets. I get some pale fillets here and there that fool me but usually if you're not taking the bigger or older fish you get great color. Maybe that applies to whitefish too and I haven't been as selective. ::) well that most definitely has something to do with it now that I think about it   @)

Seriously though a cheap smoker makes for some good fish!!

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:17 PM »
Lake Superior whitefish get my vote. Just a great fish for the smoker. Mild flavor  and easy to do. Lakers would be my second choice depending where they come from and size. Smaller are better for Lakers.

I think you nailed it there a little more mild than trout. I like to use a more mild wood... usually something fruity or I have more recently gone with pecan. I try to get my fish a little sweeter with a sugary brine and a wood that won't dominate the flavor.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Most of the rainbows we catch around Helena are the nice bright flesh, 17-22". They are definitely my favorite but even the pale ones tend to smoke up pretty good. I usually use the pale ones for trout dip and eat the nice bright ones plain. I do all of my fish exactly the same, brine at least 12 hrs in 2 parts brown sugar to 1 part salt. Then smoke fast over hickory/pecan. I usually end up running 2-3 pans if chips and smoke until the fillets take on a slightly different color. I am partial to hickory/pecan and I use it for everything I smoke. Just haven't found another wood that compares. I keep most the trout I catch anymore just because of how fast they get eaten up.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2017, 07:53 PM »
Nice LL, I add mt dew along with the brown sugar. And only use kosher salt my grandpa said it makes a difference ha. If someone knows why or if he was just bs-ing me I'd love to hear. I used to go with apple wood all the time but have now gone to pecan. People that don't like fish like the sweet stuff

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Kyle.....I thought for sure you would have Bud Light, Coors Light or Twisted Tea in yours !!  :roflmao:

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2017, 09:58 AM »
LOL You know me, but that goes in the water pan... one for me, one for the fish,...  two for me, one for the fish!  ;D ;) also add a shot of whiskey. Just one of those is all I need tho! :blink:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2017, 08:58 PM »
I don't eat fish much at all.  Sometimes fish sticks from a good know brand.  One time I Cajun smoked a pike for my wife.  It took about 8 hours.  Like I said, I don't eat fish, that was a 7 lbs pike after cleaning and 4 of us ate, myself, I ate at least a pound.  It was absolutely delicious.  I have made smoked pike 3 times since and the taste is just awesome.  As for trout, it does nothing for me.  Too fishy.  Wife loves rainbow trout in any fashion.  DanDanthefisherman and I cooked up some perch fingers one night after a perch assault derby at Mary Ronan and those were dam good as well.  Battered and Fried.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Hardwaternut46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:31 AM »
And if I'm using a baitcaster will that make a difference

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:39 AM »
?

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2017, 11:36 AM »

I think this was meant for the braided line thread. Temps make the real difference. If you're warm in a hut no problem, outside below freezing, sucky!

What other fish besides salmon has anyone smoked?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2017, 12:35 PM »

This is my favorite reply in any thread of 2017
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Montana Sven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2017, 01:43 PM »
Other than salmon, trout, or whitefish, I smoke a lot of arctic grayling. My wife makes a smoked whitefish salad and she loves grayling as much as a lake whitefish - tastes the same.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:49 PM »
Other than salmon, trout, or whitefish, I smoke a lot of arctic grayling. My wife makes a smoked whitefish salad and she loves grayling as much as a lake whitefish - tastes the same.

Pretty much any kind of trash fish is better smoked.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2017, 03:51 PM »
I'm really joking on the trash fish part, but I'm really not a big fan of the farm raised planter rainbows in particular.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2017, 05:51 PM »

:roflmao: This just made my day !!  :roflmao:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2017, 10:00 PM »
Pretty much any kind of trash fish is better smoked.

Laughed too hard.   :thumbsup: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
wish you many hook-ups

Offline Montanaclan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2017, 04:54 PM »
Got spoiled on smoking salmon up in AK for years, so trout just don't do it for me.   But I got turned on to lake whitefish on Flathead the last couple summers, and they are super fun to catch and ridiculously good smoked.   Use 'em pretty much as you would salmon, but especially including canned and dip (fish, sour cream, mayo, chives, capers).    Mmmm.

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2017, 07:19 PM »
Believe it or not carp is better then I thought when I tried smoking it once. It was a smallittle one, about 15 inches and caught earlier in the year. It's no pike, walleye or rainbow but better then expected
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline angler management problem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Red meat trout has my vote...if it's the pale meat variety, then whitefish takes top spot, and those trout get fried or canned with lots of added flavor masking!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.