The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ponds in State Game lands 252  (Read 2752 times)

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
ponds in State Game lands 252
« on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:24 AM »
I have  been interested in trying out the ponds in state game lands 252 near Allenwood (on the ruins of the old town of Alvira and the military munitions plant).  Has anyone fished these ponds?  which ones are the best ones to hit up and how deep are they ?  what types of fish are in them?  Thank you in advance for the input. 
If you ain't havin fun, you ain't doing it right.

Offline L.A. fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: ponds in State Game lands 252
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2017, 06:27 PM »
I was there last Saturday and the ice is pretty much shot. 3 inches of clear ice and with the warm temps this week it is probably less than that by now

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2017, 05:25 PM »
Thanks L.A. fisherman, I actually ventured out that way myself yesterday just to check out the place and explore some of the bunkers and old ruins.  Yes, the ice is shot, and what was left the geese were beating up.  There are 2 ponds out by the Game commission sheds, are they both fishable?

Offline L.A. fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:59 AM »
I've seen people fishing those ponds in the summer catching pan fish and catfish. Not sure what other kind of fish are in there. Some of those areas will shut down to the public in February. They call them propagion areas. I believe it's for the duck that will nest there

Offline Billinpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2017, 09:21 PM »
 We used to fish the big pond north of the game commission shed. Pretty good hike in but we caught a ton of bullheads! Others were catching bass.

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2017, 04:15 AM »
Bill, I saw that one on the game lands map, and it looks to be the biggest of all the bodies of water in that game lands.  I headed the other direction when checking things out the other day.  Most of the "ponds" I found were actually wetlands type marshes.  I am always up for a new place to try, so if we get a good covering of snow, maybe I will make the trek back in there.

Offline Billinpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2017, 04:18 PM »
Most of the ponds aren't real deep out there. Another pond that used to hold a lot of pickerel is the big one of Ridge Rd on the north side. Good luck if you go and let us know how ya do!

Offline L.A. fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2017, 07:31 AM »
the big pond is one they close at the beginning feburary. at least they did last year

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2017, 09:24 AM »
Bill and L.A.... thanks for the info.  Maybe I will catch you guys on the ice sometimes.

Offline Billinpa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2017, 07:16 AM »
Bill and L.A.... thanks for the info.  Maybe I will catch you guys on the ice sometimes.

You are welcome! Hoping the ice at Rose Valley hold up through the coming warm up. Hoping to get up there in two weeks.

Offline wiggly812

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2017, 03:49 PM »
the forecast I saw this morning does not look favorable for  2 weeks out.  As of yesterday, there was still 8" of good ice on Hunter's Lake, and I hear it is about the same for Rose Valley.   

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.