Author Topic: Rigging Tip-ups  (Read 18261 times)

Offline Fishinut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jig-A-Man Jigs!
Rigging Tip-ups
« on: Dec 01, 2002, 04:47 AM »
I thread a button on my main tip-up line and use it as a depth marker. Hold the button while you send the dipsy depth finder down to find your depth. When the depth finder stops adjust your button  down the line according to how far you want your bait to be sospended off the bottom. Remeber that the reel is also under water to add another 3 or so inches when you slide the button down the line. The button will help maintain the depth when rebaiting and will also detect if you have a wind flag or a fish by watching if the button it moving or not under water.
Many are cold, but few are frozen

blazen36

Re: Rigging Tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2002, 06:01 PM »
Twenty years ago some old timers who I sure learned a lot from gave me a great way to keep track of your depth.The lakes where I fish or not very deep so it works real well for me. If you fish deep water it probably would be a pain. They gave me a 12 " piece of plastic flexiable tubing that was orange in color. I've seen clear stuff like it  used in aquariums. I cut it in 1" sections and used a needle to punch a hole near one end.I run the line through the hole I made and out the end of the tube.It moves up and down the line easily when you pull it but it stays in place where you put it.I still have the oringinal tubes on all my tip ups.They wind up on Beaver Dams very nice , not like the  marker bobbers that are very popular. If I have some hot holes I just put the same tip ups in the next day and never have to recheck the depth.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2002, 02:56 PM »
I use the Mini-bobbers that HT markets for line markers. 6 for $0.99 and very easy to deal with.

MNwalleyeGUY

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2002, 07:15 PM »
I set my depth with a small sinker.  I also use a very small jig or plain hook.  I guess
I don't know why I have never tried anything else besides circle(kahle) hooks.  

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2002, 08:54 AM »
i use a small split shot to mark the line depth  just crimp on and you are good to go all day.  ;D

Offline Fish247

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • So many fish, so little time!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2002, 09:01 PM »
The single best thing I have found to mark the depth on my tip-ups is....... plain old bright yellow(or whatever color may tickle your pickle) thill bobber stops. Boy do they wind up nice on the ol' tip-up spool!   I leave about half of the tag ends in case they need to be tightened and I'm ready to go! :'( ;D

Eric
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more serious than that!!

Offline wkules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lookin' for EYES!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2003, 09:38 PM »
You folks may find this strange but I find that a simple 1" piece of rubber band works great as a tip up depth marker. I simply knot it around the line and pull the knot kind of tight leaving the 1/2" ends free to be tightened if/when necessary (also quite visible.) I buy thin bright orange ones (at any stationary store) They wind up into any style tip up nicely, they are quite inexpensive, they slide easily by pinching the knot and pulling it up/down the line. A couple wound around each tip up (of course this needs to be somewhere it will not interfere with the tip ups operation!) and I'm good for the day. Sliding them up/sown the line tends to cut the rubber band if the knot is too tight so a couple of spares is a good idea if you plan to move around a lot. You can also use the spares to keep the tip up together (folded) while traveling.  Keep 'em flying! ;)
Bobbers Down and Flags Up !!!

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2003, 06:54 AM »
1) Find my Depth
2) Set my depth by making a slip/knot in line
3) Place match in slip/knot and tighten
4) End of day remove match, wind line on spool
5) changing depth-repeat1-3, Remove old match
Been using this method for 40 years  Hard to teach an old dog
new tricks?
Good luck-Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Tacklenut

« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2003, 01:50 PM »
Thread a bobber stop on your main line or use the smallest split shot you can find. Personally I`ve gone from the split shot to the bobber stops becuase once there on your line they never come off.I`ve lost my depth settings a couple times due to the split shot falling off while landing fish.Plus the stops lay better on the spool at the end of the day.

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Rigging Tip-ups
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2003, 01:54 PM »
I got away from using barrel swivels betwwen my dacron mainline and mono leader because the swivel alwasy seems to catch on the ice when im landing a fish in shallow water.   Now i just tie a loop in the leader and tie the dacron to it.  I don't think superline would be that good on tipups because it is so thin it would cut your fingers.  Dacron has always worked well for me.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:05 AM »
 :o  This works for me:
I use about three feet of mono, attached, via a quality barrel swivel, to braided line.  Pound test your preference, I use 25 pound test. (Some friends go longer on the leader, I don't see a difference in hookups)   I also like to use lighter colored line vice the dark color, although some of my traps have dark line before I discovered how difficult it is to see dark line down a hole.  You can see the direction fish are taking the line and position the trap accordingly.  (I like to wait to the fish has stopped running and turned the bait around in it's mouth)  I usually use Eagle Claw #6  snelled hooks, easy to cut off if the fish has swallowed the bait and it would be difficult to remove the hook without injuring the fish.  I put a small split shot 18" or so above the bait to keep the smelt down where he belongs.  You can hook the bait just behind the dorsel fin or in the lips.  Either way seems to work well, I usually go with the dorsel fin, smelt seem to live a bit longer and remain a bit more lively, have experimented with both methods.  Like I said, this works for me, I also use a red button on my traps for depth indicator but saw some ideas above that I may try.  Good luck!
Hoppes  
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:59 PM »
THE EASIEST WAY TO SET DEPTH,IS WITH A BUTTON ON YOUR LINE.THEY NEVER COME OFF,THEY ARE EASY TO ADJUST,AND THEY LAST FOR EVER.

bullheadbasher

« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2003, 11:28 AM »
Every idea in the world just got thrown out there.  Thanks for the ideas guys.

pikelane

« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2004, 10:01 AM »
whatever happened to hooking your sucker, let him fall with a slip shot to the bottom and bring him up a bit?  what's with the rocket science?

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2004, 11:45 PM »
I like the rubber band idea, have heard of yarn also being used as an effective line marker as well. Split shot works well also, but can fray or nick the line, reducing line strength.

What I want to know is how to deal with the hooks on the ends of my ice fishing tip ups. I directly tie the line to some treble and regular hooks depending on the size bait I intend to place under the Tipup). The hooks often bury themselves into the line when not in use. Not a pretty picture to get them ready while on the ice.

I have tried the heavy duty rubberbands (used by the US Postal Service to bundle letters) with some luck. Have read of film canisters, but they are bulky and big, compared to my hook and reel sizes. Have also thought about trying some sort of velcro. Have also thought a tiny strip of velcro could be used as a line marker.

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

-reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2008, 01:06 AM »
THE EASIEST WAY TO SET DEPTH,IS WITH A BUTTON ON YOUR LINE.THEY NEVER COME OFF,THEY ARE EASY TO ADJUST,AND THEY LAST FOR EVER.

I use the buttons too.

I don't see how you could beat it.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:36 PM »
i used to use buttons, until i was fishing in 60ft. for lakers. when the button got to the hole, it got cuaght on the edge of the hole, and slid down the line. small bobbers don't move as easy, and leave a small bend in the dacron, so you can find your depth again easily.  ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2008, 08:53 PM »
i too had the same problem w/ buttons and lakers. i now find my depth and mark it w/ a loose loop. i then pick it out at the end of the day. even if its cinched from a good fish i can get it out easily w/ my teeth. of course i use 36lb. dacron on mine so its easy to get a knot out.

Offline ChillerThriller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 16, 2008, 08:39 PM »
slip bobber stop on steroids. I make my own out of 200 lb planer board line and they dont really freeze to the line and are easy to move and dont come off easy.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2008, 03:25 PM »
I like buttons for depth marking and Quick Strike rigs for Pike.

Offline Bugman1964

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2008, 09:44 AM »
whatever happened to hooking your sucker, let him fall with a slip shot to the bottom and bring him up a bit?  what's with the rocket science?

Nothing happened to it. I use this method myself when fishing deep water for lakers.

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 12, 2008, 01:29 PM »
I have to agree with WKULES. A rubber band works best. Buttons slide when they hit the bottom of the hole as you bring in a fish. Then you have to either re-sound and set the button or guess at what depth you were at or if you didn't realize the button moved, you may be fishing off your mark for the rest of the day. All those bobber stops seem bulky and unnecessary and have the potential to float up and foul your line on the spool. Rubber bands are cheap, disposable and very effective.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 12, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I use HTs mini bobber - used to use a bitton, but the bobber seems to work best for me.

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:20 PM »
I use the HT bobbers too. It really doesn't get any easier. Buttons work well, but the bobbers are even easier.

Offline FISHING FRED

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:41 PM »
I've always carried a supply of rubber bands no matter type of fishing I'm doing.
You'll be amazed how different uses you can find for them, from depth markers to storing the hook on the reel, to holding mushy bait the hook while fishing, to adding more action on a jig when nothing else is working, to making a sling shot when things are really slow, to......

Even if you have prefered marker method, throw some in your pack anyway, soon or later you'll be glad they are there.

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:50 PM »
Buttons on all tipups nine of them is what I can think of the piece of small diameter rubber tube sounds interesting.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:29 AM »

:D I agree. I've had the same buttons on my gear for 18 years. ;D 
 And if you have to re-set the depth of the button after catching it on the edge of a hole while pulling in a 20-30 lb Laker.......small price to pay. I should have such problems. :o
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline tunakiller21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:47 PM »
 Take a one inch by one inch piece of tinfoil and roll/twist it on the line. When you twist the foil it is really hard to move. To change depth untwist a little and slide. Works great for me.

Offline scrounger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:59 PM »
buttons are used here and by friends too

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:59 AM »
I use the little red and white bobbers. The HT one's are okay.. but I like the use the size up, they have a lot more holding power and they are easier to put on thicker line.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.