New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: man what a weekend...  (Read 3152 times)

bonkfan14

man what a weekend...
« on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:35 PM »
temps in the mid 20's... sunny both days... new moon phase..its almost as good as hmmm well i wont go that far... how did everybody do this weekend? I HAD A BALL.... zeke

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: man what a weekend...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:42 PM »
CD...Good amount of flags yesterday, pike are teething so they're bite is way off.  Lost a nice fish yesterday on a trap and had one bite me off on my jigging rod set for pike.

Today was a miserable day on Chaumont Bay....winds about 20 mph out of the north, not many flags, 1 pike on jig pole and one small one this morning on a trap, constant cleaning of holes due to ice forming, started with 10 inch holes and by afternoon down to about 7 inches, bait pail had 2 inches on the bottom this afternoon and about 1 inch on the sides,,,yeah, it was cold.  See my post on big water/jefferson it may interest you since you like jigging.....it stayed colder than predicted all day here, tonight we're under a full moon and no clouds in the sky, I expect it to be below zero in the morning.

Glad to see you guys had a good time at MAB...looks like everyone stayed in the bay and didn't moce out toward the inlet...any particular reason why??  Crappies in years past have always been out at the mouth.......Esox

Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:43 PM »
CD...Good amount of flags yesterday, pike are teething so they're bite is way off.  Lost a nice fish yesterday on a trap and had one bite me off on my jigging rod set for pike.

Today was a miserable day on Chaumont Bay....winds about 20 mph out of the north, not many flags, 1 pike on jig pole and one small one this morning on a trap, constant cleaning of holes due to ice forming, started with 10 inch holes and by afternoon down to about 7 inches, bait pail had 2 inches on the bottom this afternoon and about 1 inch on the sides,,,yeah, it was cold.  See my post on big water/jefferson it may interest you since you like jigging.....it stayed colder than predicted all day here, tonight we're under a full moon and no clouds in the sky, I expect it to be below zero in the morning.

Glad to see you guys had a good time at MAB...looks like everyone stayed in the bay and didn't move out toward the inlet...any particular reason why??  Crappies in years past have always been out at the mouth.......Esox

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:45 PM »
I got skunked  >:( although I keep going to moreau and have a single focus which is cathing rainbows. I need to try something different. All Hail the King

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:54 PM »

We burnt through 6 doz. shinners on pike.     

It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2006, 06:59 PM »
Caught 11 or 12 pike in my first attempt for pike this weekend. Did fall through a couple times on saturday and once today. First time for that too. All in all a good weekend.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:12 PM »
Marcus....where were you fishing to fall through???

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:39 PM »
I woke up late today and missed fishing with Iceman1603 :(
I did end up fishing down in Ol'Crawdad's neck of the woods.
We had a good day, all in all.
The "Sniffers" were out in full force today.
We both marked fish all afternoon, but next to none were takers.
Right around dark the Flashers lit up, and the Crappie were coming up on the ice.
A lot of dink crappie though.

Hey, OC....That lake should be killer the next few years :clap:

Offline iceman1603

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:45 PM »
I actually fished with tip ups for 4 hours and didnt even get a flag.  on the other hand today was the first day I caught more fish jiggin than I did on tipups.  I too missed out fishin with AW.  maybe during the week tho.
Only the chosen few will walk on water.

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2006, 07:50 PM »
I went to a friends pond and caught 6 bass then i went to a lake and caught a 23 inch brown which made my day.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Marcus....where were you fishing to fall through???
Quaker Lake  Saturday    and today in Cassadaga only 3 fow today but yesterday it was over 15 fow quite the rush

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:26 PM »
You fell through the first time Saturday and stayed on the lake long enough to fall through again???  Dude....those fish ain't worth it.....

billybono

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:45 PM »
pike are teething so they're bite is way off

well thats a debate for another thread;)

18 flags,2 pike, and 10 perch on the jigging pole......and probably 100 dudes on perch lake  :o :o

billybono

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:52 PM »
I agree, I had 10 flags yesterday myself, one nice one lost on a trap, one bite off on a jigging pole (set up for pike BTW) it's the way they're hitting the bait, or should I say not hitting the bait....had a flag yesterday.....no movement of the reel even after watching it for 10 minutes or so, didn't touch the tipup, just reset the flag and walked away until it went back up or 15 minutes, after 15 minutes, flag still hadn't tripped again, went over, pulled out a nice little 28 incher, just hit the bait and sat there with it, it's been like this for over a week now....fair amount of flags but not real aggressive behaviour, have been having them pull off anywhere from 10-50 ft of line, grab it and set the hook and they don't even have the minnow far enough in their mouth for the hook to be in contact.......it may not be like that everywhere, but it's off here for sure.....(Chaumont Bay)...

You fished Perch lake??  I thought you were going to MAB with the crew....

Offline tbone70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:55 PM »
temps in the mid 20's... sunny both days... new moon phase..its almost as good as hmmm well i wont go that far... how did everybody do this weekend? I HAD A BALL.... zeke
was up there sat. were u over by the camper and pickups? did very well with the crappie and bluegill you r right what a weekend worth the drive from syracuse;tight lines  to u zeke!

billybono

« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:56 PM »
well that was saturday and my ride fell through last minute.  and yep,mid winter pike are less agressive
this.....saving energy for the spawn

billybono

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:59 PM »
The way the ice is getting up here,,you ought to think about a trip up here this week for some perch and some nice pike at Guffins, .....whats your schedule like this week???

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2006, 06:13 AM »
Two of us fished from 7 till 12:30 Sunday walked a ton but caught 8 walleye in the last hour. Nice morning.

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #18 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:04 AM »
Fished Eal Bay Saturday and Sunday , 12" plus ice! Lots of flags and non stop perch action.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #19 on: Feb 13, 2006, 07:51 AM »
great fishing this weekend jigging for panfish,fish liked the glo green jig with
about 3 spikes[spikes had to be moving] got about 60 fish  all went back
4 nice perch were invited to dinner
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT 
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

billybono

« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:16 AM »
The way the ice is getting up here,,you ought to think about a trip up here this week for some perch and some nice pike at Guffins, .....whats your schedule like this week???

this week is kind of booked...my monster pike hole near my house is almost safe again, and this weekend heading up to millsite  ;)  ill let ya know

bill

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Great day on Schroon Lake Saturday, beautiful weather and non stop action.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #22 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:22 AM »
What a weekend!!!  Finally some cold weather!  Although I have to disagree with pike teething......this is a myth.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:25 AM »
The "Sniffers" were out in full force today.
We both marked fish all afternoon, but next to none were takers.
Right around dark the Flashers lit up, and the Crappie were coming up on the ice.
A lot of dink crappie though.
I want to add that I saw a TON of fish on the Aquavu, but all were 'Sniffers'.  At times there were a dozen jumbos and bulls in sight, in very dingy water, and they would look at the bait and swim away.  Spikes, waxies, fatheads and rosies all were mostly snubbed.  AW's emeralds were gobbled a little more readily, but not to the extent they should have been, considering how many fish we saw on the flashers and the vu.  I blame it on the FULL MOON!  :D ;D

billybono

« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2006, 09:57 AM »
  Although I have to disagree with pike teething......this is a myth.

yep...a debate for a different thread though

billybono

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:48 AM »
i caught a cuple nice 13 and 15 inch browns and a nice rainbow..  and lots of perch
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:34 PM »

yep...a debate for a different thread though

billybono

Not to hyjack this thread but I never realized that pike teething was a myth.  I started another thread in the pike room so i can hear your thoughts.

Ranger :tipup:

Offline Rangerclay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My fishin' buddies!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Yep!  The weather on Saturday was great.  It felt good to be outside and back on the ice again.  I just wish I had caught more fish, I got skunked.  Must have been my guide Essox Slayer::) ;D

I have to agree with the Eel Bay report.  Some guy stopped to ask us how we were doing and showed us a bucket of perch he caught.  Said he caught them on Eel Bay.

I'm heading for Sandy Pond this Sunday if anyone wants to hook-up!

Ranger :tipup:

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:57 PM »
Where is Eal Bay located?
Follow the bubbles...

Offline willbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ONTARIO NEW YORK
« Reply #29 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:45 PM »
It's on the north side of Wellesley Island.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.