Author Topic: Underwater Fishing Drones - Where Does It Stop?  (Read 1668 times)

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Underwater Fishing Drones - Where Does It Stop?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:08 AM »
OK, I'm a flip phonin' , schooley back walkin', beemoth dunker.  Most of the Christmas cards I received a couple weeks ago
dripped with sarcasm about being made out of paper.   Before I rant I will admit that I can get skunked with the
best of them. But this I know....

Ever leave your sonar on when you pull your boat out of the water?  Ever hear that tic, tic, tic that reminds you to turn it off?
If I can hear it through air on dry land, it has to be audible to a fish in water. I've always wondered if that has an effect on the
fishing.  Does it spook them, attract them, or do they simply get used to it and ignore it?  Some one on another forum was
pondering the same thing the other day. For the record, I've got a Lowrance and a Garmin on the boat.

The other day, I decided to catch  a few minutes of fishing on a local lake.  I got there about 90 min before sunset.
The bay had the usual number of shantys and bucket sitters.  The ice was a good 6" thick, clear with scattered patches of snow.
As my favorite spot was taken, I moved off a respectful distance, drilled a few holes, and began fishing.  The bluegills cooperated
and I settled into a nice evening on the ice.  At dusk, I noticed something odd.  I was practically the only one without a light and some kind of portable sonar.  It looked like a frickin' video game screen out there and, I was also the only one catching fish.....  Pretty soon shantys flipped open and guys started coming over asking about bait, jig color etc. Some new holes started heading my way....  We were all using, more or less, the same tackle.  The only difference, other than about 50 feet or so of distance, was that I was not pinging the bottom. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Fish on, bobber down!

Rivereddy

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2017, 10:54 AM »
I personally would never buy or even buy that, it'd take the fun out of fishing.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:00 AM »
I am with you. Part of the allure is wondering what's out there
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:05 AM »
I feel bad enough using my fish finder, and will turn it off and go "old school" on occasion.

Using this submersible drone is just about as lazy as it gets. The only way it could get any lamer would be if they create a device that allows you to stay at home and fish completely by remote control, so that you can stay all warm and toasty while you drink your life away.

Of course you would still be bragging to your other couch-potato friends about all the fish you caught!

If it turns out anything like the current drone market place, you'll be scouting out possible spots and your drone will take off on its own, never to return or be seen again!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline ADKBUCKSHOT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:10 AM »
Wicked!

Offline Incognito

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice... must find Ice.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Almost thought about building something like this a few years ago.  Not to catch fish, but to find structure without drilling tons of holes.  Imagine putting a tethered drone through the hole and have it run circles around you until you find the weed edge, wreck, or other structure.  Then go drill the hole directly over it and fish.

Of course if I'd just get my butt to the lake before ice, I could find those spots and mark them on GPS.  I guess once the kids are older, my wife will beg me to take them out fishing / recon-ing.

Inc

Official Iron-Man / Ice Geek / Ice Shirt of the MIRC
aka - Carnage-meister

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:34 PM »
I think that is a sweet little machine! But not for fishing. It would be cool just to drive it around a lake or river and see what it looks like. Learn how fish behave a little better, or just to do some exploring. But also I don't know how many of these little things I want cruising around in the water. I could only imagine fishing somewhere and then all the sudden some little drone swims by you out on a lake. Or if you were fishing and someone drove through a good fishing hole or fishing ledge or something. I suppose a time and place for everything. At the family homestead there are a few lakes on the property and it would be cool to check those out.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:43 PM »
Not for this old man.  To Old School.  Like the challenge of the unknown.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:27 PM »
that is way cool .wonder how it holds up to musky ;D

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2017, 01:31 PM »
Looks like it would be fun but I'm sure it wouldn't be long before it was sitting at home. Won't be long an this will be old-school haha

Offline Capt.Jim-N.J.

« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 04:38 PM »
A fishing drone? - Never - I have my depth finder, that's all I need, besides the setups and bait - I have to agree with PoleJerker, too Old School
Now is the time for all good men and women to engage in the sport of ice fishing

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:26 PM »
 I would never use that. useful tool for fisheries / biologists but
takes the skill and talent out of the sport of fishing

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:19 PM »
I think they are cool. Maybe they could be used to help disabled folks fish areas they couldn't. As long as they don't interfere with others that are fishing, I think they are fine. People griped the same way about flashers when they first came out.

Offline gil_lunkage

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:51 PM »
You mean you didn't get one for Christmas too?
"Don't hate me cause you ain't me"
~ Some Dude

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2017, 08:42 AM »
Quote from: farmer, on jan,8/1908

"[ gas motor on a boat dont seem like fair chase]"

some day you will be able to see schools swimming around in real time from satellite! lol 

yup technology taking the skill out of fishing. sad
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2017, 10:39 AM »
There's often an interesting dichotomy in opinions between the 'old school' crows and those that embrace all the gadgets when new technologies are discussed here.

As for a 'fishing drone', I think its best use would be in scouting areas or used in research rather than actually catching fishing. Would be fun to try trolling with it under the ice if possible.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:01 AM »
might as well pay someone to go fishing for you then tell you all about it when they are done.....smh

Offline Icefishing83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2017, 11:35 AM »
I still enjoy finding a break line or weed line after catching a few fish. Then just
throw out the buoy marker. Then troll or drift around that during open water season,
provided you are not surrounded by tons of boats. The drone is not for me.

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2017, 03:35 PM »
Fishing has always been about man using innovation to overcome nature. It has undeniably changed since it's inception due to man creating newer and better mouse traps. In any facet of life there are changes and those that fear change. Look at all the differing equipment in this sport alone, augers, line, shelters, heat, clothing, tackle, etc.. Then think back 5 years ago, and see how much things have changed. Some did not exist at all. If you want to remain some kind of purist and fish using only Amish equipment you have right to do so. I am guessing nobody will look down their noses at you. You should extend that courtesy toward those who choose not to as well.

I think these, as pointed out, would be great for locating fish. I do not believe those who would utilize them are doing so to be lazy. It would be more cause they like the challange of using their skills with radio controlled craft. Kinda combines uboat captain with virtual reality fishing. As long as they do so without interfereing with others, have at it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.