The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Yankee spring area ice report  (Read 600 times)

silver on

Yankee spring area ice report
« on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Had the day off so  I took a ride to check lakes in my area. first lake I stopped at was Fish lake. Mill pond is half open and cant get though the swamp to check the ice on the main lake so that is as good as No way.
   Second lake I checked was Hull lake. 1 guy out there but drilled a hole and maybe 2 inches of ice and was cracking the whole time. so No on Hull.
Next I stopped at deep lake. 2 hits with a spud and was through. another no.
third was Baker. there were guys fishing but there was open water in the middle. 2 to 2 and a half inches of ice. another no for me.
next check little Payne and big Payne. Little Payne was not what I call good enough for me. edges were soft 3 hit and the spud went through.
Big Payne was a for sure no.
Next checked Long lake/ Chief noonday outdoor center. walked out 20 feet hit it with the spud and nothing but cracking around me. so no.
next checked gun and there were guys fishing in the channels but nothing worth going after. west gun had ice bikes on it near the county park but as many of us know there is nothing worth fishing by the park. next checked Selkirk lake and guys had been fishing in front of the boat launch however very tricky getting out of the launch as it is icy. good thing I took the truck. needed 4x4 to get out and up on the road.
That was it. Nothing I felt safe on. If your out Be careful. Not what I would call good ice. :(
looks like another week of waiting for sure.

Offline wilsonmi

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yankee spring area ice report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:26 PM »
great report.  Thanks for taking the time to post.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:12 PM »
ive been fishing Selkirk by the launch.maybe 3 inches and if you go much farther than my tracks it goes to under 2 inches.ice was decent in the morning Saturday but the 1st inch turned to slush so I was on maybe 2 1/2 inches of sketchy cracking ice.a few dink bluegills the 3 times  I was out there.there was  a few open patches out last week also.pretty much the same on big,swan,miner had less ice with nobody on any of them.ive been steelhead fishing because the ice is so sketchy in the afternoon with these warmups

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2017, 02:38 PM »
I got out on a Yankee Springs lake this morning.  Very sketchy ice.  I have a float suit and checked every 20 feet.  Stayed on a vein of 3.5 inch ice out to 22 FOW, but if I strayed to the north or south, it was only 2.5 inches.  Still can't get to my preferred spots.  Marked a bunch of fish, but most were sniffers.  The few I caught were dinks.  Next weekend we will be in business.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.