New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: augers  (Read 1328 times)

Offline DontHorseEmKid

• IceShanty Rookie
augers
« on: Feb 09, 2006, 05:09 PM »
been lookin at buying a hand auger power drill conversion kit .
anyone have any good/bad info before i buy ?

Offline lcrep2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:24 PM »
Never seen one where do you find them? :-\

crowkiller

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:27 PM »
just buy the gas auger and keep the hand one for back up or thin ice

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I don't think an 18 volt cordless is gonna punch through much ice before crapping out, especially the larger sized holes, or even small ones for that matter.  I'd rather rely on a gas auger as first choice, hand auger as 2nd choice and a spud as 3rd choice.....this cordless conversion unit ranks down somewhere below my chainsaw, which would be my 4th choice.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

crowkiller

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I don't think an 18 volt cordless is gonna punch through much ice before crapping out, especially the larger sized holes, or even small ones for that matter.  I'd rather rely on a gas auger as first choice, hand auger as 2nd choice and a spud as 3rd choice.....this cordless conversion unit ranks down somewhere below my chainsaw, which would be my 4th choice.
besides that you would look pretty silly using a dewalt cordless to drill holes you would never hear the end of it :woot: :woot: :woot: :D :D :D

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:39 PM »
Yeah...that would get almost as many guffaws as a newbie that showed up to ice fish, his first time, with a so called "seasoned" iceman, and he had on sneakers.....

Really, I wouldn't have one of those conversion units PERIOD....I think my trusty old Ka-Bar would get through faster.  Can't remember where I saw them advertised, but about died laughing, they must be targeting the NYC types who don't know any better??
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Just purchased a Tanaka gas powered augar from this sites host pro shop, after my 36 year old Jiffy outlived its usefullness. this machine weighs only 19 lbs with the 8 inch bit.will use it tomorrow for the first time will let ya know how it performs. just for the record, it is 13 lbs lighter than the old Jiffy.

billybono

« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2006, 09:31 PM »
been lookin at buying a hand auger power drill conversion kit .
anyone have any good/bad info before i buy ?

ive got one you can have....they suck

billybono

Offline Bartel Rd. Bait & Tackle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:23 PM »
look at the strikemaster electra lazer it look's like a gas auger cut's like a gas auger but with no mess it's electric with a 12 volt gel battery
I've owned one two year's now and I love it my record was 78 hole's in a day and the battery still had juice.
Local Shop with Local Knowledge

Phone   (315) 676-2144
Website  https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Offline DontHorseEmKid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:06 PM »
wow thx for the overwhelming opinions , i by the way am a rookie to the hardwater .
so , yeah I'm used to showing up in sneakers to the launch . hahahahahahahahaha.
just trying to find something practical and watch the budget too .

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:08 PM »
look at the strikemaster electra lazer it look's like a gas auger cut's like a gas auger but with no mess it's electric with a 12 volt gel battery
I've owned one two year's now and I love it my record was 78 hole's in a day and the battery still had juice.
topwater...what size auger on that beast?
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.