New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sacandaga Lake  (Read 1273 times)

Offline tbruseny

• IceShanty Rookie
Sacandaga Lake
« on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:48 PM »
looking to catch some trout just wondering where the best spot to get on the lake is.  also , where to fish , how deep , what bait, and how much ice is there?  any info would be greatly appreciated.  propably going to go tomorrow if any one is interested. thanks  flags up and bottoms up! :tipup:

b.r.a.a.h.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
Re: Sacandaga Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 03:53 PM »
TB, you know that the Sacandaga isn't the place to go for trout. How many did we catch a couple of weeks ago?

b.r.a.a.h

Offline tbruseny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:06 PM »
I know we didnt even get a sniff on the "dead sea"  i was talking about the sacandaga lake in speculator.  planning on going up tomorrow morning if u want to go.  let me know if you know anything about the lake.

b.r.a.a.h.

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006, 04:18 PM »
You get on at Moffit's beach state campground off rte 8 outside speculator. I heard they were catching them right off the beach.

Offline Booker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Catch and Release
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2006, 05:09 PM »
b.r.a.a.h  I would love to go tomorrow, BUT I have to work until 2. Have never fished there so I would go if I could. Hope you and sonny boy catch some so that you'll want to go back and maybe it will be on one of my days off. Might even take a day off to go.

camo_fish

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2006, 02:24 AM »
Good Luck,
this is a very hard lake on the hard water to fish. I have a camp down the road from the beach past the boat launch, before you get to the other camping area.
In all the times I've icefished it, I've only got one 16" rainbow and that was up shallow in the rocks by the island in the back of the lake, at the very end of the loop for the campsites. And I was using local bait from Paul's Firewood (which I don't plan on going back) that is unless I'm out of bait.  ;)
And I had my bait less than a foot under the ice.
That was my 1st and only rainbow I've gotten out of the lake and have put on the ice.

I know that people fish right out in front of the beach there at Moffit's, but at the far left corner there is a snow mobile trail that they will be using heaviely. There is also a little creek that comes in on the left side before the snowmoblie trail, out in front of that creek would be a good bet 1st thing in the morning.

The bottom there is all sand, and out in the middle there is very deep, somewhere in the 60-70FOW, It drops off fast on the right side where the boat launch is.

Good Luck

Offline tbruseny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:47 PM »
the trip to sacandaga lake was ok ..... didnt catch what i wanted to catch but had some action.  no trout at all but caught 4 pickerel all over 20"  and a white fish.. not what i was expectin, fished in front of the beach from 20 to 5 fow.   Gonna give it anotyher try in some deeper waters though.  Talked to another fisherman while on the lake and he had caught some nice perch all over 12" and a 21.5 " rainbow (what a fish that was) all of his fish were in the deeper waters.  thanks everyone for the info on the lake... good luck let me know what u think of fishing the deeper waters for the trout.

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2006, 04:15 PM »
I fished for rainbows at moreau in the shallows today ....with the tip ups with one flag :(
I then went and jigged in 20-30 fow. I marked a bunch of fish on the fishfinder but nothing was biting :( :(it was slooooooow

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.