Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: walleyes  (Read 1111 times)

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
walleyes
« on: Dec 22, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Alot of 8 inchers at pleasant creek (walleyes)

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2016, 06:22 PM »
Alot of 8 inchers at pleasant creek (walleyes)
Not for long seeing a lot of people keeping them. Like in the slot limit thread I wish they would make them at least a 14 inch minimum. But to each his own as long as they are legal to keep people will keep them.

Offline FrozenHollander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:22 PM »
The issue with what I've caught for walleyes at Palo is the depth that they are being caught. A walleye reeled up from 30+ ft below is going to die most likely due to the rapid pressure change.  They had the same issue on Lake Millacs in MN last year trying to preserve the walleye population. Even with 100% catch and release there was a large fish kill for that same reason.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2016, 11:46 PM »
Then why are you fishing 36' for "keeper walleye"?  Give em a chance.  Do you even get a fish stick off them??

Offline FrozenHollander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Primary reason was it was 5 below and I had 2 hours to fish so mobility wasn't much of an option searching for larger fish in shallower water.  I drilled two holes and dropped a line down around a group of ice tents that were already fishing that area without knowing I'd be both in 30+ ft of water and on biting fish. I also caught a large wiper in the same spot.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.