Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Walleye slot  (Read 1193 times)

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Walleye slot
« on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:53 PM »
Why doesn't Iowa have a slot limit on Walleye?  Not sure if the great lakes have one, I never fish up there.  I feel like McBride and Pleasant Creek would benefit having one.  What do you guys think?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Walleye slot
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2016, 05:40 PM »
We do on the Miss. 15-20. Its been proven already that it has little impact and that most spawnerd are the 15-20" that we can keep. Its just politcal

Inland doesnt have one because most lakes do not have the appropriate conditions for spawning.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:38 PM »
Slot limits sure do work on walleye in northern bodies of water that I've fished for over 40 yrs, not sure why they dont work on the Mississippi. You can only keep one over 18" a day and the fishing has improved greatly since implemented.

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:09 PM »
There's a 17-22" slot at the IGLs. Not uncommon to hear folks grumble about it but they've been shown to be beneficial and frankly, you could tell some people they can only keep 9 and they'd complain they can't keep 10. Can't please everyone.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Like Kevin said I believe there is no slot because Walleyes do not reproduce very well in Iowa lakes, but I think a 14-18 inch slot with one over say 22 would help develop a quality fishery with more trophy fish.  Any thoughts I may be wrong.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:12 PM »
Like Kevin said I believe there is no slot because Walleyes do not reproduce very well in Iowa lakes, but I think a 14-18 inch slot with one over say 22 would help develop a quality fishery with more trophy fish.  Any thoughts I may be wrong.

I think it should be the same as MN, no size limit but only one over 20" general statewide regulation. Then special regulations on the bodies of water that have natural reproduction.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:17 PM »

I think it should be the same as MN, no size limit but only one over 20" general statewide regulation so we have some nice fish to draw some tourism. Then special regulations on the bodies of water that have natural reproduction if the DNR sees it necessary. I like the slot on the Miss (the release 20-27 part), but have been told straight from a biologist that it is purely political and surveys have shown angler harvest has a very minimal effect on the population.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:28 PM »
 With the slot reg. on the river, remember to pinch the tail together as stated in the Iowa regs. booklet if your in doubt on size it will add about 1/4" if your pushing 20"

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2016, 08:56 PM »
 I do believe throwing anything back under 15" is a good idea on the miss. I remember before the slot regs. seeing guys keeping 8" and 12" eyes.

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Even if the fish aren't reproducing well in some of the lakes it at least gives the fish a chance at getting a decent size and maybe reproducing.  Keeps people from keeping 8 - 15" Walleye and in turn having a lake that people want to fish.  Just my opinion. 

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2016, 09:50 AM »
I would urge all of you to contact your area's conservation officer and voice your opinion, it does matter. They will take it into account and if they get enough of them they might bring something forward. I totally agree with slot limits, if Iowa EVER wants to become a popular fishing destination they need to manage the harvest.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2016, 12:55 PM »
Contact the fisheries biologist, dont bother your CO.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mattstark44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2016, 04:20 PM »
McBride is Paul Sleeper not sure who is does Pleasant Creek.

Offline iceman1267

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2016, 06:17 PM »
McBride is Paul Sleeper not sure who is does Pleasant Creek.
Sleeper covers Palo also.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.