Author Topic: Would this work?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline bspooner

• IceShanty Rookie
Would this work?
« on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:43 PM »
I have a Frabill Excursion and will be taking my boys out. I am not an electrician but want to put some lights in my portable. I just ordered some of the led strip lights off of amazon but now I need power. I am probably going to be cutting the lights up for each pole and I was wondering how I was going to wire the lights to make them all work. I saw this at walmart and wondered if it would work or should I look for something else. It looks simple enough for me but not sure if it will work. Help please. And thanks

https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-LED-Power-Port-Connector-6-ports-with-on-off-switches/50165090
I fish therfore I am

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Would this work?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2016, 04:03 PM »
Running it from the vehicle ~ the power outlet is fused.

If not, add an in-line fuse between the power source and that device.     

And be very sure those  lights can be cut shorter.     ;)2

Good luck.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2016, 04:09 PM »
What are you going to use for a power source ? What are you plunging that into ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bspooner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2016, 04:12 PM »
What are you going to use for a power source ? What are you plunging that into ?

Im planning on using a 12 volt vexilar type battery. I was thinking I would cut off the cigarette lighter part and use the wires to plug directly to the battery
I fish therfore I am

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2016, 04:30 PM »
 :whistle:
Im planning on using a 12 volt vexilar type battery. I was thinking I would cut off the cigarette lighter part and use the wires to plug directly to the battery

Please re-read my post CAUTIONING  you about an in-line fuse !     

Offline bspooner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2016, 04:35 PM »
:whistle:
Please re-read my post CAUTIONING  you about an in-line fuse !   

Thanks for the warning and yes I was planning on using one just didnt know if it was going to work or not. Like I said I am not an electrical genius and can use all the help I can get.

By the way I graduated from Post Falls a LOOOOOONG time ago good to see someone from back home on here.
I fish therfore I am

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:02 PM »

By the way I graduated from Post Falls a LOOOOOONG time ago good to see someone from back home on here.

You wouldn't believe the growth.    Cabela's has their own exit from I-90.      :thumbsup:

Falls Park has enjoyed many improvements too.   

I'll shut-up, not to make you homesick. lol

Offline bspooner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:10 PM »
You wouldn't believe the growth.    Cabela's has their own exit from I-90.      :thumbsup:

Falls Park has enjoyed many improvements too.   

I'll shut-up, not to make you homesick. lol

No worries I had my 30 year class reunion 2 summers ago and could not believe that change. Of coarse I went to cabelas and Buck knife store. Didnt make it up north as I always loved it up there just didnt have time to do much site seeing. I miss home but I gotta work although there are teachers in Idaho but when you marry a girl from Illinois I guess your stuck. lol
I fish therfore I am

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Yup, gotta follow yer mate, ha.  ;)2

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2016, 05:26 PM »
Yup, gotta follow yer mate, ha.  ;)2
That's why I'm in Ohio!!!  ::)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2016, 04:02 AM »
while I was finishing my shack, I ran a car stereo and three LED lights on a motorcycle/Jet ski battery for about 20 hrs total time before it required a recharge.  I have a marine style 12v. switch that I bought on line that is fused.  The switch housing is very easy to set up and takes care of your fuse issue.  It is really cool, it has six potential switches and a cigarette lighter as well as a USB port for phone charging.  I am not an electrician and can barely operate my smartphone but the switch housing made everything pretty simple.  The switch came with no directions so I got with an electrician and he showed me which terminals are the pos/neg and gave me a small ground bar for all of my black wires to plug into.  it was a breeze to run all the 12v. stuff.  110 I left to a pro.
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.