The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Iceshanty on Facebook  (Read 1691 times)

Offline sweetdad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • All work and no play makes me a dull boy.
Iceshanty on Facebook
« on: Dec 16, 2016, 03:33 PM »
I would really like to see Iceshanty start a Facebook page. Has there ever been talk of one?
Remember, its the second mouse, that getts the cheese.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Iceshanty on Facebook
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2016, 03:38 PM »
No because they have already lost enough participation on this site to Facebook.  Why would they endorse something that is going to detract from the content on this site.  Not everyone is a fan of Facebook.
westernmas on the finder

Offline sweetdad

• IceShanty Rookie
  • All work and no play makes me a dull boy.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2016, 03:40 PM »
No because they have already lost enough participation on this site to Facebook.  Why would they endorse something that is going to detract from the content on this site.  Not everyone is a fan of Facebook.

I would think that more people would be aware of this forum, and it would compete with others of its kind.
Remember, its the second mouse, that getts the cheese.

Offline Dougie51869

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A day of fishin, is better than any other day
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2016, 04:28 PM »
I would really like to see Iceshanty start a Facebook page. Has there ever been talk of one?

There are pages for michigan and indiana ice fishing. Not as helpful or any where near as good as the site but there are a few.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2016, 04:33 PM »
Face book is nothing but a bunch of keyboard bullies and know it all's. I never have and never will be pert of that crowd I just hope it follows MY FARCE into thr internet trash can.....
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2016, 04:56 PM »
facebooks straight up sucks.im not looking for long lost school buddies or anything on facebook.iceshanty is a real mans facebook.lol

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2016, 05:37 PM »
I have quite a few friends on here, that are also friends on FB ! I don't think that the "Shanty" needs a FB page. This site is special !  The "shanty" members that have become FB friends w/ me, all have 1 thing in common, we love to fish !  Most folks on FB have several hundred 'Friends", I have 73 & personally know all of them , except for one, that lives in Japan, & he is here, on the "Shanty" . I proved to my brother , Yesterday, that FB can be a great way to stay in touch w/ folks , if you are smart enough to use it wisely . Most people don't ! He joined today , simply because him & his wife wanted to see all the pics I post of my 5 month old grandson, & the fish pics  @).
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline tazdevil300

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:32 PM »
agree totally you post all these laes on Facebook won't have anywhere to fish

Offline Sustainable

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:47 PM »
I have always been a fan of forums for expertise and like minded folks for my hobbies and professions. I must be on 15 forums at this point. Facebook has it's place as well. The ice fishing Michigan FB page however is very active, many more ice reports, and it's members are growing by the hour. 11000 members at this point. While a place like this offers more of a sense of community and there is less garbage to sift through, FB has it's own positives. I like both.

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2016, 06:59 PM »
I seldom do FB, but have seen a few very good and active forums go down that rabbit hole and subsequently die from inactivity at the original forum page.  My main complaint (and maybe this is just because I don't know enough about FB) is that you have to read everything to learn about anything.  In IceShanty and similar forums, if you want to follow ice conditions or activity on a particular lake, there is a thread about that, or if you are considering this model flasher vs that one, you can start a thread asking others and all that knowledge and expertise is "encapsulated" within that thread.  That knowledge is searchable, and when appropriate, can be updated even years later by resurrecting the thread.  FB just seems to be a chronological litany of posts, most unrelated to any one topic, and impossible to search.  FWIW, I vote 2 THUMBS DOWN on the idea of taking IceShanty over to FB. 

Offline BLUJBURD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish...Fish...Fish
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Not to mention if your phone notifies you after someone post something, and the topic gets started on favorite jig color. What a disaster that would be.
I have a BS in Narrative Fishing History.

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:29 AM »
I seldom do FB, but have seen a few very good and active forums go down that rabbit hole and subsequently die from inactivity at the original forum page.  My main complaint (and maybe this is just because I don't know enough about FB) is that you have to read everything to learn about anything.  In IceShanty and similar forums, if you want to follow ice conditions or activity on a particular lake, there is a thread about that, or if you are considering this model flasher vs that one, you can start a thread asking others and all that knowledge and expertise is "encapsulated" within that thread.  That knowledge is searchable, and when appropriate, can be updated even years later by resurrecting the thread.  FB just seems to be a chronological litany of posts, most unrelated to any one topic, and impossible to search.  FWIW, I vote 2 THUMBS DOWN on the idea of taking IceShanty over to FB.

No one ever suggested moving IceShanty over to FaceBook..     ??? ???
But IceShanty DOES have a facebook page  !
https://www.facebook.com/Iceshantycom-188496670701/?fref=ts

Offline KZOO13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2016, 02:46 PM »
Guys on this forum and other smaller forums like this seem to know their stuff and are relatively smart about their posts. That being said, nearly every person living now has a Facebook. It would be extremely easy for everybody and their brother to join the page and our lakes would be flooded with people because guys would share reports that get seen by thousands of people.

That "Ice Fishing Michigan" Facebook page is what it'd turn into. 11,000+ guys doing nothing but asking where the hot spots are. There are guys posting pictures of people fishing on lakes, and then all of a sudden the next day even the locals can't fish because there's no parking (True story, happened yesterday to a buddy of mine that lives on the eastside).  Not saying there's anything wrong with helping another guy out, but that's what pm's are for.

I can already tell the lake I personally fish is going to be ruined this year. All it takes is one person to post a picture on that sight for everyone to see. The next day there will be 10x more people on your favorite spot. Facebook pages have ruined many people's favorite spots simply because of the ability for so many people to easily share and see the posts. I'll take a forum like this with a smaller more knowledgable community over that any day.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Dec 17, 2016, 03:25 PM »
Guys on this forum and other smaller forums like this seem to know their stuff and are relatively smart about their posts. That being said, nearly every person living now has a Facebook. It would be extremely easy for everybody and their brother to join the page and our lakes would be flooded with people because guys would share reports that get seen by thousands of people.

That "Ice Fishing Michigan" Facebook page is what it'd turn into. 11,000+ guys doing nothing but asking where the hot spots are. There are guys posting pictures of people fishing on lakes, and then all of a sudden the next day even the locals can't fish because there's no parking (True story, happened yesterday to a buddy of mine that lives on the eastside).  Not saying there's anything wrong with helping another guy out, but that's what pm's are for.

I can already tell the lake I personally fish is going to be ruined this year. All it takes is one person to post a picture on that sight for everyone to see. The next day there will be 10x more people on your favorite spot. Facebook pages have ruined many people's favorite spots simply because of the ability for so many people to easily share and see the posts. I'll take a forum like this with a smaller more knowledgable community over that any day.
nice 2nd post.i like it and its true.

Offline Jim_MI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:22 PM »
No one ever suggested moving IceShanty over to FaceBook..     ??? ???
But IceShanty DOES have a facebook page  !
https://www.facebook.com/Iceshantycom-188496670701/?fref=ts
Sorry, I misspoke.  My point was just that the searching and archiving capabilities of a forum far exceed those of FB and I would hate to lose active forum participants to a FB page.  From my admittedly naïve perspective, it looks like there have been about 9 posts to the official IceShanty FB page in the last 30 days, and 7 of these were sponsor-related.  This one thread you are reading on the IceShanty.com forum has more activity than that in the past 24 hrs!  If FB provided a better venue for anglers to share knowledge, then  one would expect it to show more activity than the forum, which it clearly doesn't.  'Nuff said. 

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:40 PM »

.           I must be dead then, no facebook for me, don't see the need. Many places for crooks to troll, (we are gonna be in Florida next week) in other words, free shopping at my house!!  Buddy's have it and post everything, what they are eating , when they go to bed, I know I'm in the minority but that's the way it is!!

Offline Kiefer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2017, 04:52 PM »

Sad, but true
Stop reading this and go catch some fish!

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:38 PM »
If people are too lazy to create an account on a separate site imagine what kind of fisherman they are?? Logging into IS is much easier and more rewarding than Facebook will ever be to humanity.

I'm on several different forums that I recognize a lot of IS members on too. The internet is huge, use it for what it is, a modern day library of Alexandria. Facebook is like a penthouse someone dropped in the foreign literature section, fun to look at but you should probably wash your hands afterwards.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.