New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: If this forecast is true......the ice returns!!  (Read 964 times)

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
If this forecast is true......the ice returns!!
« on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:00 AM »
Just checked accuweather for the next 15 days here in Chaumont.  There is only one day when the temp is supposed to hit 32 degrees, the other days are all in the mid 20's or slightly lower for the highs, and lows ranging from around 0 to 9.  For the next 15 days.....maybe we will actually get some winter up this way.
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: If this forecast is true......the ice returns!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:08 AM »
I just hope this wind dies down soon.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2006, 11:15 AM »
Same for up here, it's finally died down some today.  Even if the temps drop well into the single digits, ice isn't going to form when there's 3 foot waves out on the bay.  I've never seen whitecaps on Chaumont Bay in the middle of winter.  My Dad is 76 and he's never seen a year like this either.  We're sitting at 18 right now and the winds are calm, tonight is supposed to be down to 5 and tomorrow night zero, high tomorrow is forecast for 19, the next 15 days are supposed to be cold and only one day in that time do we hit 32, the rest of the time it's in the 20's or colder for the highs.

The Bay here is wide open, those 20-30 steady winds took out more ice than I could have imagined, and every day they shifted, first from the S/SW, then they'd go north the following day, then west....and always up around 20-30 mph with higher gusts.....

I fished on 10 inches of solid black ice one day last week in a small bay and less than 48 hours later it was gone....

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:09 PM »
Just checked accuweather for the next 15 days here in Chaumont.  There is only one day when the temp is supposed to hit 32 degrees, the other days are all in the mid 20's or slightly lower for the highs, and lows ranging from around 0 to 9.  For the next 15 days.....maybe we will actually get some winter up this way.
don't jynx it.... quick knock on wood  :woot:
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:11 PM »
been knocking tilll my knuckles bleed......hopefully this time.....it's cold here right now......

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2006, 03:58 AM »
Update:  Just read a report that the upcoming week is suppposed to be even colder than the one we are just finishing.  We've been making ice here steadily for about 5-6 days now,,,it's only gonna get better as we go.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.