The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Checking ice thickNess today ..  (Read 4132 times)

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Checking ice thickNess today ..
« on: Dec 13, 2016, 05:49 AM »
Looking at this map it is posible we got some ice..  so I will be checking thickness at a local lake today around sun up  got to find my spud now lol's .. bt the way won't venture our yet still don't think the ice Is safe enough yet! Will be doing so from shore.

http://miiceguys.com/ice-map/

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Checking ice thickNess today ..
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2016, 07:01 AM »
Got 1 inch to 1.25 inches  of ice on kensington. Spud went threw un two wacks.. So no one's fishing yet around here. All the way across is frozen but it is that white type of ice more snow incomeing friday and saturday same amounts predicted as the last storm 6 to 10 inches of snow but there is a plus the temps on thursday is going down to negative one degrees and should get thicker ice with the cold temps all week long .. but for sure is going to be around Christmas before we're on ice on that lake..

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2016, 11:26 AM »
 When you say Kensington are you talking about the metro park?
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2016, 11:56 AM »
Checked ice and stood on 2 1/2" "snow" ice this am, good to go in am!!!

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2016, 01:00 PM »
Checked ice and stood on 2 1/2" "snow" ice this am, good to go in am!!!

I won't ask the lake name... but size of the lake and county maybe?
Funniest thing about ice fishing for me is when people who know nothing about ice activities try to warn me about the dangers of the ice...

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2016, 01:21 PM »
Channel near state line

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Goguac Lake in Battle Creek still wide open as of 1PM.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2016, 01:51 PM »
Several lakes I seen in my drive around were capped. Didn't check most if them as don't have place to park.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:07 PM »
When you say Kensington are you talking about the metro park?

yup I checked at the east boat launch..

Offline quack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:54 PM »
OK, I'm down the river in ypsi, Ford lake is still mostly open, had very patchy ice today for the first time this year

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2016, 03:32 PM »
My little lake is locked up. will swing by Wamplers, Vineyard and Clark tomorrow.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:05 PM »
My little lake is locked up too, gonna try to spud tomorrow
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline rusty go0se

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Went out today checked a few lakes. 1.5 - 2 inches. Should be getting a lot more in the next couple days
"Anything free is worth saving up for"

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2016, 12:29 PM »
Just got off 4" fish didn't bite very good but nice to get out!!  Lake not a channel, smaller lake

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2016, 10:08 AM »
Just swung by Kent lake kensington end to go to holdens.. got some real nice beaded spoons and some auger blades breakfast etc.. but on to the point..  no one's fishing yet on the lake so most likely will be a few more days probably around Tuesday next week.. I am guessing I will check it then!! Will keep you guys posted..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:00 AM »
Just checked kent we got 2.5 inches for sure!! with a slight chance of it being 3 inches. Any how I like to wait till we got at least 4 inches to go out..  but that's just me so probllay Monday will be on the ice hopefully!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #16 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:18 AM »
Just checked kent we got 2.5 inches for sure!! with a slight chance of it being 3 inches. Any how I like to wait till we got at least 4 inches to go out..  but that's just me so probllay Monday will be on the ice hopefully!

Do you do well at Kent?

I've only ever Bass fished out there. Never really thought about ice fishing it

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Do you do well at Kent?

I've only ever Bass fished out there. Never really thought about ice fishing it

We do fish pike there  and crappie but the crapple fishing has went down hill the last 3 to 4 years..  since they started useing pesticide on the aquatic plants
. Now theirs  no ware for the little crappie to hide so they all get eaten buy pike .. that's why iam habe been pikeing that last few years. 

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:41 AM »
We do fish pike there  and crappie but the crapple fishing has went down hill the last 3 to 4 years..  since they started useing pesticide on the aquatic plants
. Now theirs  no ware for the little crappie to hide so they all get eaten buy pike .. that's why iam habe been pikeing that last few years.
My buddies dad got a 45 inch and his buddy a 44 in the same year back in early 90's... Both are mounted so not BS.... They use to do real well there... But then said the pike fishing went to crap..... this was like 7-8 years ago they said that... They speared them actually, said they dont see them much anymore

How has the fishing been for them lately ?? ( last 5 years ).... Just curious

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2016, 02:49 PM »
Been getting fish 35 to 40 inch range on kent .. if people did not kill every fish they seen on that lake they would get much bigger..

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2016, 03:01 PM »
said they dont see them much anymore

How has the fishing been for them lately ?? ( last 5 years ).... Just curious

That seems to be all we seen this last two years was larger pike  I think I see more pike then bass but maybe that me..

Fishing for them has been fairly good a lot of the fish we threw back last summer were in the 35 to be 40 inch range wile after bass..we threw back aproxamently 10 fish in one day over 35 inches reason we new they were different we removed steel leaders from some of them... that they broke off from other people.. any how bass has been good on that lake to .. seems like it going to predator fish cause they have no refuge during summer cause they have use chemical plant killer to remove tons of lake weeds which recks habitats for smaller fish and leaves the smaller fish as easy prey for predator fish.. people are more them weclone to take them in my book they need a natural thinning in my book..

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2016, 03:42 PM »
Been getting fish 35 to 40 inch range on kent .. if people did not kill every fish they seen on that lake they would get much bigger..
thats just it... My buddys dad would keep or spear every fish that came in front of him

I remember a picture he showed me, he and another guy holding a garden hose just strung with pike... Like 15-20 of them on there.... This was along along time ago but still crazy to see that. Kind of sad actually... Even as a spear guy I only spear a few a year and usually no more than 2 per lake

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2016, 05:52 PM »
Not sure of the spearing rules at the park!!  bUT tip ups we get them all the time on them.. ya I know your aloud to bow fish on the north end .. bUT not south end  not sure if spearing is aloud in the southren part of the lake? Might be ? If you got a permerent I could give you some ideas were have been good spots  if you decided to head out there??

Offline michiganoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:16 PM »
I was on 3 1/2-4" of ice tonight in Ottawa county. Got about 12 fish  on plastics in about 45 minutes. Nothing huge but it felt great to be out!
I'd rather be fishing!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2016, 08:18 PM »
Nice!!

By the way was that a small acreage lake ? ?

Usally those cool faster then a resivior lake with slightly moving water.. that why iam saying 3 inch max but a inch to inch and a half is that white ice on our lake.. that's why I have not been out..

Offline michiganoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:18 PM »
It's a pond that's about an acre or acre and a half. So not huge but the fish are always hungry in it!
I'd rather be fishing!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2016, 09:36 PM »
It's a pond that's about an acre or acre and a half. So not huge but the fish are always hungry in it!

Good to hear!!

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:55 AM »
Father in law was out on a lake in Branch county yesterday with 4 inches. He did say some areas did vary though, hoping to get out on Monday!

Offline compli123

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish whispering since 1962
« Reply #28 on: Dec 17, 2016, 07:13 AM »
Reprieve! God decided not to bless us with 10" of new, ice-insulating snow! Woke up to a new, much better forecast today. We be makin' ice for next few days. Tidings of comfort and more ice to all!
I like to sit around on the ice doing nothing because my wife won't let me do it at home.

Offline delta9

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hard water is great
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2016, 08:21 AM »
Reprieve! God decided not to bless us with 10" of new, ice-insulating snow! Woke up to a new, much better forecast today. We be makin' ice for next few days. Tidings of comfort and more ice to all!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.