Author Topic: What do I need to to run my helix 7 DI/GPS on the ice?  (Read 5774 times)

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
One of the units I currently run on my boat is a Humminbird helix 7. Does anyone know where a guy can get the correct soft side bag, ice transducer, battery connection cable? I know they have the helix 7 in an ice combo kit so I would think it would be doable. I emailed Humminbird and they sent me the correct info for the transducer, but the part number they gave for the bag sure doesn't seem to bring up much through google. On the bird site I can punch the number in and it brings a black and white picture of the kit, but no way to purchase.

If anyone has converted or built one, please help me out.

Thanks,
Nels
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: What do I need to to run my helix 7 DI/GPS on the ice?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:18 PM »
Make your own. I used a kitty litter container.

Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline El Matador

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:22 PM »
Funny that you can't buy them anywhere!  You can easily find the kit you need but without battery or charger (Humminbird PTC UNB 2).  Make sure you get the "2" for your Helix if you go that route as this will have the correct shuttle for mounting.  You can find the older version just about anywhere but I'm not sure if it could be easily modified to fit the Helix.  You really just need to accomplish 3 things before using this unit on the ice: 

1:  Put it into a case or shuttle to make it portable.  Buying Humminbird's cloth case ($50) and building your own shuttle is not a bad idea.  People have used all kinds of things to build their own.  It only needs to hold the sonar unit and a battery.  Here's mine (Husky cooler), along with more ideas throughout the thread:  http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=189700.msg3549306#msg3549306

2:  Hook up  a battery.  Most guys use the 7AH to 9AH sealed lead acid batteries that can be had for around $20.  Lithium batteries are nice but cost around $100.  The wiring is very simple but feel free to message me if you need a hand.  I bought a Battery Tender Jr to charge mine with so I wired the charging cord in as well.  Makes it easy to charge.

3:  Get your transducer to point down at the fish.  I rigged my DI transducer so I could use it through the ice and it works well for me.  You can buy the ice transducer from Humminbird for around $80-90 and it'll be easy to drop down your hole.  Keep in mind that ice transducers do not have DI or SI capability so those features won't be accessible with the ice 'ducer.

If you want simple I'd buy the ice transducer and Humminbird PTC UNB 2 case (this is the newer case for the Helix, but it doesn't come with battery or charger.  Easy to find on Google.)  Then order a battery from Cabela's or somewhere (7AH sealed lead acid battery).  Grab a Battery Tender Jr and you're all set.  Of course this will not be the cheapest route.  If you want cheap look more closely at the setups in the thread I linked to.  Good luck, these are awesome machines on the ice!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:35 PM »

Ran a Helix 7 on this last year. But went to a Garmin this year. Helix worked great but Garmin better mapping and CHIRP for this year.

Five gallon bucket and little metal and about thirty minutes of easy labor. Manufacturer's ice packages are expensive for what you are getting. I do like the ice ducer though. Simplifies set up.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:45 PM »

Ran a Helix 7 on this last year. But went to a Garmin this year. Helix worked great but Garmin better mapping and CHIRP for this year.

Five gallon bucket and little metal and about thirty minutes of easy labor. Manufacturer's ice packages are expensive for what you are getting. I do like the ice ducer though. Simplifies set up.

Thanks for all the help from all. I also have a garmin echomap 73dv on my boat and love it more than the bird as well. My main ice fishing unit is an lx6 and I love that thing for the ice. I was just looking to hook my wife or kids up w something that would work this season and go as cheap as possible. Maybe I will rig something up on my own and just go with an ice trans and a power cable/battery. Why they would not make an all-in-one kit is beyond me. Seems as though they are really missing a market. I would pay for the convenience, but may just go w another unit all together and not worry about switching anything back and forth. Thanks again.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline Wkndbum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2016, 03:26 PM »
One of the units I currently run on my boat is a Humminbird helix 7. Does anyone know where a guy can get the correct soft side bag, ice transducer, battery connection cable? I know they have the helix 7 in an ice combo kit so I would think it would be doable. I emailed Humminbird and they sent me the correct info for the transducer, but the part number they gave for the bag sure doesn't seem to bring up much through google. On the bird site I can punch the number in and it brings a black and white picture of the kit, but no way to purchase.

If anyone has converted or built one, please help me out.

Thanks,
Nels

I just ordered the "Soft Case" only to fit a Helix 7 "ice":

"The numeric part number for this item is 409528-1 and retails for $56.95 plus shipping and tax. You may purchase this through us by phone at the number below if you wish to purchase this.

If we can assist you further on this subject or any other Humminbird related questions please feel free email us again or contact our Customer Resource Center at 1-800-633-1468 to speak with a Customer Service Representative. Our hours are Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Good Fishing and Boating!"

Dawn Turner
Humminbird Customer Service
Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics
678 Humminbird Lane
Eufaula, AL  36027

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.