Author Topic: What flasher do you prefer and why?  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Mncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
What flasher do you prefer and why?
« on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:01 AM »
Just curious what you guys prefer for a flasher. Brand?  And reasons why. And if you don't have a flasher what would be the one you want and why?   I have a Marcum vx1 pro and love it. The bottom zoom for a entry level is meh for me and it's something vexilar doesn't have in the fl8. And I believe marcum is a better overall brand in terms of quality and reliability.
Just a teen who loves the outdoors

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: What flasher do you prefer and why?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:04 AM »
I love my lx7

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:04 AM »
Let me get the popcorn...

Me I don't like flashers, I like Graphs...

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:08 AM »
ive never owned a flasher myself but i have used my frineds marcum plenty. lots of fun but i decided on a lowrance elite 4x ice machine because i can use it for my kayak and ice fishing. works as well as the marcum IMO. But the one thing that makes me very happy i went with the Elite is GRAPH MODE. I love using this feature!

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:46 AM »
I went from a HB ICE35 to a Marcum LX6, no comparison and no way I would go back to a traditional flasher after using a digital one

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:48 AM »
Reliability? Then it has to be Vexilar. Many have units that are old and have never had an issue. All one has to do is scroll down these posts to see that is not so with the other brand. The Vexilar Fl-8 and Fl-18 are as bulletproof as it gets. Customer service? Is there any better than Vexilar? Just my 2 cents.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2016, 11:55 AM »
One of the ones in my garage. Why, because the door to the garage is like 20 feet away.

Is the original poster using meh incorrectly?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:32 PM »
 I have both, a Vexilar fl20 and a Lowrance elite 4 chirp w/gps. I like the elite to get me to my spots. To fish with, I like the Vex better. Why....well, the vex has zero lag time, no interference issues, and just plain simpler. The Elite will work fine also, but does require more fiddling with settings to fine tune for each move. And the Elite scope on the 4 is a little small. The 5 would be better.

Offline Fishboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:37 PM »
And I believe marcum is a better overall brand in terms of quality and reliability.
curious what you're basing this on. I've never used anything but a vex, and have had no issues with it but I don't believe I'm in any position to offer opinions on anything else.
A group of ice fishermen is a chatter or chill, although the term loony is often used, particularly by wives of ice fishermen.

~ Patrick F. McManus in The Grasshopper Trap

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:49 PM »
I have the hummingbird ice 35. This is my first flasher. Bought it because of the price point and features (best bang for the buck) . I absolutely love it!  I cannot comment on other units. But I will never fish without a flasher again!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:50 PM »
Bad day to be out of popcorn.  ::)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline ejdelvo28

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2016, 01:55 PM »
The general opinion seems to be that Vexilar is more reliable/consistent while Marcum has more bells and whistles.  Humminbird sprinkles in once in a while but it's really between the big two.  I run a Marcum VX1, partly because i snagged it at a garage sale for $40.  Eventually I want to upgrade to a Vex FLX 28, but we all dream of toys we want and don't need.  The VX1 serves me well.

Offline DanaM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:25 PM »
any flasher/graph is better than none.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:38 PM »
I have the hummingbird ice 35. This is my first flasher. Bought it because of the price point and features (best bang for the buck) . I absolutely love it!  I cannot comment on other units. But I will never fish without a flasher again!

Ditto except I just got mine and am waiting on ice. I also strongly considered the Garmin Striker (decided against because it did not have an ice ducer) and the Marcum Showdown Troller 2.0 (passed on that due to reviews online staying that condensation could build up in the case and cause malfunctions).

If money was no object I think I would get a Marcum LX3 (I didn't think I needed all the features of the higher priced models).
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline nnelzon23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:39 PM »
Have had a few vexilars and a couple marcums. I prefer the lx6 I am currently running over the others. I like the options it affords you, the flashing lights don't bother the eyes, no humming( I know the new digital units don't hum either), can run traditional graph beside flasher or any other variety of screens, updatable technology, and I like the marcum arm/transducer system.
"Rippin Lips!"

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:51 PM »
Have the Marcum VX-1. Very happy with it and the bottom zoom is great. Lost it out of my sled at 20mph and it still finished the season before I had to send it in for a tune-up, so they are pretty tough. Have never used any other brand or models so can't comment on them. All I can say is that having one is better than not having one whatever brand.

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:15 PM »
I have run all three brands, also to note i dont fish over 40 feet of water ever so that may change if your going after lake trout and i cant really comment on that, besides i would use a humming bird for the narrow band, but thats theory for me since i have never.

top 3 in order:

FlX-28, honestly hard to beat and how crystal clear and sensitive it is, but you are going to pay for it. Anyone who argues something is better means to me that they simply haven't used this model, plus you can change the IR to 20 different channels to limit interference when fishing with people. My go to 99% of the time now, i have fallen in love with it just because of how crystal clear it is

Ice-45, best bang for your buck, big read out to so its easy to see, as long as your not next to a marcum your golden, works well fishing besides a vex.

Marcum, if you are going to fish solo (or with other marcums) its great,they are really good flasher and would be number one, BUT if you fish with other hummingbirds or old vex's... they are going to hate you, it really clouds up other peoples flasher with junk and false artifacts. So if you go this route make sure your buddies are not using old vexilars or humming birds, they will appreciate it. I used to use this one solo and then the humming bird Ice -45 in groups... that was until the FLX-28 came out...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:27 PM »
Used ever version of vex.  Own a flx28.  Insane.  Will buy an lx9 just to compare.  However at the end of the day I only fish for me so my opinion only applies to my fishing.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:40 PM »
Since 2006, the Vexilar Fl 8se Pro Pack. I prefer it, because it is the only one I own and works flawlessly. I would have preferred the Genz box, but they were all out so I bought the PP.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:14 PM »
Flx28 here. Love all the color options. Even an option for the color blind folks. Would like to try the tribeam instead of the proview tho.

Offline Northern Nomad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:22 PM »
I have a fl18 ultra pack with tri beam transducer. I also put a digital depth gauge on. I really like the fl28 but it doesn't come with tri beam transducer and is pretty expensive. Think I'll stick with my fl18.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:31 PM »
I fish with 2 buddies quite a bit. One has a Vex, one has a Marcum and I have a Humminbird. They all work just fine but my buddy with the Vex doesn't like it when my buddy with the Marcum is there. The interference from Marcum to Vex is pretty bad I guess but they've never seriously tried to use their IR to fix it...my buddy with the Vex just moves away until the interference is gone. One thing I can tell you for sure is my Humminbird has never received interference from the Vex or Marcum...it's impossible as the Bird runs on a different  frequency from the other 2. In the 8 years I've had my 55 I have run into other Humminbirds twice and the interference was bad...makes me happy the 'Birds aren't as popular  ;)

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:51 PM »
First was a vexilar fl8 after about five years with no issues upgraded to a fl18 for I think 4 years maybe 5 now no issues. Like the looks of the marcums but I guess I am used to the vexilar. Was thinking of going up to a flx 28 but am happy with the 18. Now I just need some safe ice!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:04 PM »
how bad is the marcum to marcum interference

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:27 PM »
how bad is the marcum to marcum interference
I can't speak of other models, but me and my wife fished quite a bit in the shanty with our showdowns and you would sporadically get a whole line of marks that would go from bottom to the top of the screen. But other than that we seemed to do ok. Hope this may help. Others may chime in also.

Offline Iceicemike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:30 PM »
You would think nill
Or vex by vex would be nil
7 next to 7  very jumpy
7 next to 6 very jumpy
7 next to lx1 awful (lx1 awful with everything)
7 next to showdown pretty good
Unless the new upgrade/download adjust the interference

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:43 PM »
Let me get the popcorn...

Me I don't like flashers, I like sounders...

yup! here we go!

vex-FL-18 for me!  :thumbsup:

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:11 PM »
I was old school for alot of years. Always caught plenty of fish to keep me happy. A flasher is a valuable tool at times. In shallow water its really not that usefull. Now I use a vex fl 12. in deeper water. It is very helpfull. Shallow water like 4" or less. I often dont use it.  Guys without some sort of electronics. Can catch just as many fish most of the time.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:47 PM »
pretzels or chips works if your out of popcorn.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=331371.0

Offline MochaMay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:59 PM »
Vex guy here all the way. I started years ago with a predecessor of the Vex which was a SyTech, not sure of the spelling, then the FL8 & FL18 & FL20 and now the FLX28. All have been 100% bullet proof and perform flawlessly. IMHO. Not just my experience but all and I mean all the people I know in N MN that ice fish have had the same results and I don't even know someone that owns the other brands. I did fish with a couple of nephews one weekend on LOTW's and they both forgot their Vexilars at home, I mean how dumb can you get rightLOL, so they rented a couple of Marcums from the resort and they were barley usable while in the vicinity of the Vexilars. Now the Marcums rented was back in 2010 or so but the Vexilar 18 & 20's were far superior IMHO. Marcum makes a good product but in my area they are not very popular. Flasher vs LCD type ......Flasher all the way!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.