The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ZEBRA MUSSELS  (Read 6400 times)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: ZEBRA MUSSELS
« Reply #30 on: Dec 05, 2016, 06:27 PM »
Didn't mean to blame just  tournament angler's my main point being we are wasting money  on these check stations when they don't open till 7 and are closed  when I come off the lake at dark.

Yes, the 'genius ' of bureaucracy.         :cookoo:

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 05, 2016, 09:37 PM »
In WI most of the "checkpoints" are staffed by volunteers from the respective lake associations. You get what you pay for.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline nutinbutjiggin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:08 AM »
Not that it matters now but isn't it possible these things came in on a wake board boat with a ballast tank or a jet ski? I'm hearing talk of blaming anglers and that concerns me.

Offline flatgo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:18 AM »
I agree with nutin probably not anglers but and other recreationalist of how they were transported.  if I remember correctly they found a pleasure boat a few years ago trying to launch in flathead with mussels attached. either way it sucks, and will cost taxpayers of Montana some $$$$

Offline montanaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2016, 09:35 AM »
what about ducks and what not if it can get stuck to a boat it can get stuck to a bird i can imagine

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:21 PM »
Apparently ducks can transport the larvae, but it's a lot less likely than transport on waders or landing nets. And presumably, much less likely than livewell water or the risk from having adult mussels on a boat that get transported directly.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10530-015-0995-z
"Larvae adhered to all types of vectors and survived desiccation under both laboratory and field conditions and thus appear able to be dispersed long distances overland by both ducks and fishing gear. Specifically, on a per-event basis, fishing gear has a higher potential to spread zebra mussel larvae than ducks. Survival was three times higher on human vectors and the number of larvae attached to human vectors was over double of that on the ducks. However, our findings demonstrate that natural vectors, like ducks, can contribute to the transport of zebra mussel larvae at a local scale."

Only a duck's feet get wet, so not much surface area. On a by-weight basis, a duck flying with some milfoil wrapped around its ankle would be like a 747 taking off with the refueling truck tangled up in its landing gear. I can't imaging a duck wouldn't try some preflight or midair grooming to ditch the weeds.

"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:35 PM »
saw a show the other day about Door County there used to be 400 commercial fishermen running there now there are about a dozen or less

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 06, 2016, 12:41 PM »

Only a duck's feet get wet, so not much surface area.

Lol, maybe in cartoons..

We have what the world calls diver ducks here.. Along with wading birds like egrets...

Before they have a shell, they are microscopic free swimming larvae, that could easily become temporary trapped in feathers and such...

That info is anti fishing propaganda...

<°)))>{

Offline MT_btagger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:05 PM »
Getting wet is relative I guess, but first hand experience from dropping birds in the river is pheasants get wet, and ducks stay dry.  :)

When I splash a rooster I usually want to make the dog carry it back to the truck.
"You will never be criticized by a guy catching more fish. Only by guys who are catching less."

Offline BK_Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:58 PM »
It would be great if everyone would take accountability for their own boat and check points weren't even necessary, but I think we all know that isn't reality. In all honesty, I didn't know a thing about invasive species such as Eurasian Watermilfoil, Zebra Mussels, or Quagga Mussels until they found Eurasian Watermilfoil in Beaver Lake near Whitefish, MT in 2011. I thought the AIS check stations were kind of a useless pain until I saw the impact these aquatic species can have and made sure to educate myself and any of my fellow anglers out there from that point on. I think most people don't know/aren't aware about a lot of these invasive species and getting the word out is imperative. It's not like people are intentionally bringing these things into places they enjoy fishing, they are simply unaware as I once was.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2016, 04:42 PM »
By the looks of where the mussels came from. I don't think people r bringing there wakeboard boats all the way 2 Montana for our sweet waves.

Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Theres only one reason someone drags a boat that far.
Dont ask

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2016, 05:08 PM »
I had to educate myself a few years ago on how to clean and inspect my boat, even though I never go outside the Flathead Valley with it.
Interesting that there are products that can be used to kill most if not all of the invasive weeds that can be transferred.
Also interesting that the only thing that kills the mussels is HOT water and/or let them dry out.
For a number of years the only boats that were inspected were motorized boats. The paddle boarders just drove on by.
With the wake type boats it's almost impossible to get all the water out of the tanks or ballast bags that they use.
Most may not have seen or remember this article "http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/inspectors-already-find-mussel-fouled-boats-at-pablo-inspection-station/article_a59176c8-0d15-515b-aac6-f845921493a2.html" this spring that found mussels on two boats at the Pablo inspection station.
These boats had been "decontaminated by the Arizona Game and Fish Department prior to heading north"????
One wonders how many made it here before the inspection station opened.
And from what I have read Mussels can be transferred on almost anything that remains moist/wet including waders etc.

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2016, 10:15 PM »
Too bad it's not an invasion of round Gobies instead.

Offline Rodneysturgill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 10, 2016, 10:13 AM »
Wasn't a tournament but we did get stopped between Billings and harden in September they
We're checking boats that came off of
The tunge river

Offline tscott1632

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 10, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Apparently ducks can transport the larvae, but it's a lot less likely than transport on waders or landing nets. And presumably, much less likely than livewell water or the risk from having adult mussels on a boat that get transported directly.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10530-015-0995-z
"Larvae adhered to all types of vectors and survived desiccation under both laboratory and field conditions and thus appear able to be dispersed long distances overland by both ducks and fishing gear. Specifically, on a per-event basis, fishing gear has a higher potential to spread zebra mussel larvae than ducks. Survival was three times higher on human vectors and the number of larvae attached to human vectors was over double of that on the ducks. However, our findings demonstrate that natural vectors, like ducks, can contribute to the transport of zebra mussel larvae at a local scale."

Only a duck's feet get wet, so not much surface area. On a by-weight basis, a duck flying with some milfoil wrapped around its ankle would be like a 747 taking off with the refueling truck tangled up in its landing gear. I can't imaging a duck wouldn't try some preflight or midair grooming to ditch the weeds.

I member shooting a goose one year with scuds in its under feathers. Pull back some of the belly feathers and there were dozens of them that would fall out.

oldschoolben

« Reply #46 on: Dec 10, 2016, 07:19 PM »
I was listening to the Montana outdoor radio show today , I didn't even know there was such a channel until this morning,  they talked about this subject and the people in charge of this thinks they can reduce the harm ,that they are optimistic about finding this early and think it may not be as bad as other spots , but talk is cheap

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 12, 2016, 03:44 PM »
It will keep the bios employed for years to come
Dont ask

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Spraying chlorine (bleach) was recognized in WI as a method of killing the invaders in bilges and livewells years ago. Unfortunately that can create other problems.

A good informational paper from the State of Alabama. Not on the Mississippi but not far from it.
http://www.adem.state.al.us/programs/water/waterforms/ZebraMusselArticle.pdf
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ElkNut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:34 PM »
In response to PerchPounders comment, “It will keep the bios employed for years to come” and oldschoolbens comment, “but talk is cheap.”
They both go hand in hand. First off, we are all entitled to our own opinions and this is mine. Secondly, talk is cheap; correct. At least the “people in charge” are optimistic about reducing the effects. This is much better than saying, “Oh well, it will be what it will be.” Lastly, everyone has their self-proclaimed professional opinions of how the states fish and wildlife program should be managed and how their favorite perch spot should be regulated. In my opinion, unless you can do a better job at performing wildlife management than let’s say Montana FWP, then enroll yourself in some wildlife management courses, obtain the proper degree, and earn yourself a job in that field and let’s see how much better you are able to manipulate habitat and wildlife populations while managing people.
This is not a call out directed to anyone, I’m just trying to show some support for the biologists out there that are continually ridiculed for how they manage our resources. Personally, I am very grateful for the wildlife professionals out there that are optimistic about the future so that those yet un-born are able to enjoy the land, at least, as we have it today.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 29, 2016, 02:41 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 30, 2016, 11:22 PM »
I was wondering just how tough the larval stage of these things are.  In the past I've done trips down the hi line fishing fresno, tiber, and francis on back to back days, and while my tip up reels would freeze they were not dry between reserviors....  Could those larva end up attached to a tip up line and hitch hike into another system....?

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2017, 02:26 PM »
In response to PerchPounders comment, “It will keep the bios employed for years to come” and oldschoolbens comment, “but talk is cheap.”
They both go hand in hand. First off, we are all entitled to our own opinions and this is mine. Secondly, talk is cheap; correct. At least the “people in charge” are optimistic about reducing the effects. This is much better than saying, “Oh well, it will be what it will be.” Lastly, everyone has their self-proclaimed professional opinions of how the states fish and wildlife program should be managed and how their favorite perch spot should be regulated. In my opinion, unless you can do a better job at performing wildlife management than let’s say Montana FWP, then enroll yourself in some wildlife management courses, obtain the proper degree, and earn yourself a job in that field and let’s see how much better you are able to manipulate habitat and wildlife populations while managing people.
This is not a call out directed to anyone, I’m just trying to show some support for the biologists out there that are continually ridiculed for how they manage our resources. Personally, I am very grateful for the wildlife professionals out there that are optimistic about the future so that those yet un-born are able to enjoy the land, at least, as we have it today.
You forgot the part where if your not from out of state you wont get hired,so move out of state before you do your schooling and then offer to move back when you apply.
Dont ask

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2017, 06:18 PM »
If you've served you have a better chance at being hired. That is policy. Not saying Pounder has got it all figured out but I don't enjoy out-of-staters that believe they know best because they have a degree from New England State University. I'm all about being proactive so tell a friend, who tells a friend, that tells a friend... discussion is where it starts, action is what will end (or curb) it. Clean your $#!t. Idaho has a bunch of check stations. MT not so much. And as much a I like being left the heck alone I'm also okay with getting the thumbs up that my gear is good to go. Thank you to those that are volunteering and trying to keep our resources the way they should be.

Offline DoogieMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2017, 08:47 PM »
I was wondering just how tough the larval stage of these things are.  In the past I've done trips down the hi line fishing fresno, tiber, and francis on back to back days, and while my tip up reels would freeze they were not dry between reserviors....  Could those larva end up attached to a tip up line and hitch hike into another system....?

Yes they could, that's part of Clean. Drain. Dry.

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2017, 09:48 PM »
Yes they could, that's part of Clean. Drain. Dry.

I've never heard of clean, drain, dry your tip ups, or are you just being condescending.  I asked because it is another potential way they could be spread (like as we speak) and something a lot of folks don't think about, especially when it's -15 and all your crap is frozen solid. 

Offline DoogieMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 07, 2017, 12:26 AM »
Petty sure it's printed in every fishing regulations guide....

CLEAN.  Completely remove all mud, water, and vegetation before leaving the access area.

DRAIN.  Drain all water from watercraft and equipment.

DRY.  Aquatic invaders can survive only in water and wet areas.

Dry your watercraft and fishing equipment thoroughly; this will kill most invasive species.  The longer you keep your watercraft, trailer, waders, and other equipment outside in the hot sun between fishing trips, the better.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishAndWildlife/species/ais/prevention.html

I've fished Mille Lacs in MN (it has both zebra mussles and Eurasian milfoil) in the winter and they guys I was fishing with told me to make sure I didn't have any weeds on my hooks or line before we left the lake.

I can be condescending if you like...I fish the same type weather in MN quite a bit and  when I'm done for the day,  Tip ups go back in the Tip up bag and brought into the house or hotel every night, along with my rod bag, and nothing is ever "frozen solid" in the morning. It would be kind of hard to fish the next morning if everything was just tossed in the back of the pickup and was "frozen solid" when we went to set up for the day.

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 07, 2017, 07:33 AM »
We have the zebras here in MA.many of our lakes known to have them have wash stations.they use pressure washrs with super hot water to clean your boat.most of these stations are free.so far it seems to work well.it also kills plant species as well.good luck .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.