Author Topic: ideas on a smitty sled what do you think  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
ideas on a smitty sled what do you think
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:45 AM »
I am here in Utah where we can be pulling through some deep snow.  I was pondering a Smitty build and wondering about using snowboards instead of ski's.  What do you all think or would the Snowboards just be to wide.  My other thought was to use a single snowboard down the middle so when the skis sank all the way up to the sled it would ride on the board.  Am I overthinking this?  I am the pack mule for my self, wife and 2 young girls so my days of fishing the hard deck fast and lite are over.

Majja

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Re: ideas on a smitty sled what do you think
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:47 AM »
Too Wide

Offline GBR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:49 AM »
Putting one higher up in the middle is an interesting idea. I don't see why that wouldn't work, might be worth a try.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:06 AM »
I think snowboards would be too wide.  I would use "Powder" skis (wider) designed for more float in deeper snow. Since you like in ski country you should be able to pick up a used pair for a reasonable price.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:10 AM »
Putting one higher up in the middle is an interesting idea. I don't see why that wouldn't work, might be worth a try.

That's an interesting idea ....post pics after your R&D and field test
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:33 AM »
Generally speaking snowboards float  way more than skis!
And finding cheap powder skis likely won't happen!
My smitty has skis and is a bear in the snow with stuff just for me!
 I've thought about boards as well but at this point I have limited travel space!
 I think 2  boards would work better just don't know till ya try I guess!

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:43 AM »
I have thought about adding boards to mine as in deep powder the ski's sink and I drag a lot of snow in front. They work great on drifted hard snow but heavy powder not so much so I would like to know how it works out for you if you do
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline frogmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I like it :)

Long time skier and have downhill skis on my Frabill Flip now.

I would think 2 snowboards would be the cats @ss for DEEP SNOW!!!

Send Pictures please.
Fish FEAR ME ;)

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:50 AM »
I just built a smitty sled this summer and was excited to try it. Everyone here says the sled pulls real easy through snow? Now are you guys saying it doesn't pull much earlier through the higher snow? My friend built one with snowmobile skis this summer also.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline FishinBill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:09 AM »
I made one splitting a snowboard down the middle, works great. Just make sure the ridges on the board are lined up together otherwise it will pull harder then it should.

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:11 AM »
An idea I have been toying with is using two sets of skis Seems to me four skis would hold on top of snow better since larger surface area.

Since I pack so much crap I used an aluminum frame on my first smitty to get rid of weight of wood. Snow shoes work on same principle. Spreading weight over larger surface area.

While my reasoning may be sound ( wife would heartily disagree ) someone may have already tried what I am thinking.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:13 AM »
 The snowboards should work great in deep snow, getting your gear up and floating. I've heard of guys using water skis before, the same thought process. But the boards have that nice slick bottom instead of a painted v shaped bottom. Let us know how it works for you.

Offline Speeddmn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:15 AM »
This is something I have thought about also. I have my wifes old snowboard and I'm sure I can snag a 2nd one for cheap locally also. Right now I have a pair od skis just like most and just finished my sled up the other day.

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:43 AM »
I am going to start hitting up the thrift stores as well as watching pawn shops and local classifieds.  I should be able to find something cheap around here.  I think this is going to be fun to build.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:47 AM »
Doesn't two snowboards kinda defeat the purpose, unless they are longer than your sled?

Offline SDFishnFriendly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:26 AM »
Majja, that's an interesting idea.  I have a Smitty using my old Rosi snow skis.  And I have had a time or two that the snow was too soft and my sled was too heavy and sunk.  You gave me an idea.  I think I'm going to go buy one of those super cheap rolled up plastic sheet sleds, build a little front angled piece on my Smitty and attach that sled to the front and all the way underneath.  That way when it sinks the snow and sled will glide on that plastic sheet.   Thanks for the idea!

Something like this...I'll make it work:
https://www.amazon.com/Paricon-Flying-Carpet-Sled/dp/B004GF150Y/ref=pd_lpo_468_bs_lp_tr_t_2/159-4934202-9745600?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=6PV0F9MDAE1DPG3SNYJB

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:37 PM »
SD that is a great idea.  I actually have one of those.  We use to take them when we did a little winter climbing for fun rid down the mountain.

Offline SDFishnFriendly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 01, 2016, 03:18 PM »
I'll try to post a photo when I'm done. I'm just about to get the sled out of the shed for the season!  Hard water soon!!!!!!    ;D

Offline Majja13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Doesn't two snowboards kinda defeat the purpose, unless they are longer than your sled?

Well in theory the snowboards would slide as easy as skis just not sink as far into the snow. Especially if I can find a couple matching in the 165 CM range.  "In theory that is"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #19 on: Dec 01, 2016, 04:21 PM »
my thinking is the two snowboards are as wide as the sled already, making the same amount of friction...

Offline mtnhillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2016, 04:28 PM »
Come to think of it for those of us who already have skis on their smitty!
Adding a snowboard in between the skis could solve the lack of flotation!
Hmmmmm good thing I know someone with a snowboard shop!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2016, 04:57 PM »
Good point on the friction bit. If surface area is equal or greater than bottom of tub. Then friction would be equal or greater then just towing without any kind of platform.

The water skis idea might be the better for deep soft snow. Wide enough to keep load from plowing when pulling. While only slightly increasing friction from original idea of using the snow skis.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2016, 06:09 PM »
While I like pulling this by machine as I am pushing 60, I have pulled this many times by hand and it works for me.

So I don't see why Snowboards would not work just as well

Offline spnelson21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch are Tasty!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2016, 08:47 PM »
Interesting thoughts, I am trying to think of my own sled/ski system. I was thinking of attaching the skis with conduit and making the hight adjustable both for deep snow and loading purposes. I just don't know how the structural integrity will hold up.
Of course it's a short pole, it cold out here!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:08 PM »
my thinking is the two snowboards are as wide as the sled already, making the same amount of friction...

Spot on with the magic word:    FRICTION    Well thought out and said missoulafish.         :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :bow: :flex:

The less material in contact with the snow ~ The less force/pull/push/energy required to move the load.     That's a simple fact/truth of science.

Understand this: NARROW SKIS !    Got that?    Good.

Taller risers between the skis and load will prevent the load from dragging/PLOWING/moving snow.

It's so easy I can do it and I'm a very old caveman.        :roflmao: :bow:

Go check on the original Smitty Sled thread, and heed !     (now go recycle the debris made from cutting up snow boards, etc.    ;)2 )

Slow learners may want to re-read the above before proceeding, just an honest suggestion.      :whistle:

Tom

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:52 PM »
I really like idea of attaching the roll up sled to the center of my monster smitty for deep snow. Mines too big and heavy to pull by hand. However, mine is designed so that the skis ride in the plowed wheeler tire tracks. My thought is that with the skis riding in the relatively low fridction area of tire tracks and the weight being on the two contact points, the deep snow drag in the center should be less relevant.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2016, 12:02 AM »

I really like idea of attaching the roll up sled to the center of my monster smitty for deep snow. Mines too big and heavy to pull by hand. However, mine is designed so that the skis ride in the plowed wheeler tire tracks. My thought is that with the skis riding in the relatively low fridction area of tire tracks and the weight being on the two contact points, the deep snow drag in the center should be less relevant.

Are those 4X6 risers ?     

It appears to be very durable.         ;)2

May I ask you what it weights ?  (completely unloaded.)

Tom

Offline prosty41

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2016, 06:10 AM »
I guess you looked at my picture but not my comment ;D. Idk the weight of the sled but it's considerable. Prior to making that sled into a smitty, it was very heavy because it is an otter xl. The sled is too heavy to be pulled by hand with or without the smitty.

However the original smitty design is intended to be pulled by hand. When you add a bunch of weight and speed, it's needs to be reinforced considerably. My sled is a tank but as you can see, it will hold up.

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:54 AM »
friction is also depedent on material. Snowboards and skis are made to slide. I will say thougth that the sled it self should serve the same prupose as two snowboards in deep snow. I don' t see much of an advantage substituting wit h a snow board. less friction but if the snow is that deep the sled is still going to sink and make contact. This will nullify your advantage.

as stated skis with taller risers. Minimize friction. I can't imagine a weight (within reason) too heavy that this system wouldn't pull easily.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:06 AM »

Sweet Jesus....do you haul cattle to auction with that thing?  That subframe under your sled is beefy enough to be used as a dance floor for fat chicks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.