Author Topic: Best second hand shack  (Read 1813 times)

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
Best second hand shack
« on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:37 PM »
Hi everyone, Ive been looking for a good second hand 2 man shack for under $200. Ideally I would get a flip over sled, however that style is difficult to find for under $200 while still in decent shape. My question would be would you rather have a suitcase style or hub style. Whats to love about both? Whats to hate? Should I keep my eyes out for a specific one?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Best second hand shack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:53 PM »
HUB ....probably can find insulated as well ....numerous hole configurations can be had ...multiple sizes to boot ...removable windows.Think the suit case models can be hard to find ...usually vertically challenged ...weight ...bulky size floor ...ain't fitting in your Prius .

Should add your location ...may be a deal near you
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Big Ice Hole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:04 PM »
I don't know if you have a Runnings in your area, but they have Clam hub for $149.00.
Born to fish, Forced to work.

Offline landgills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:14 PM »
Living in Sioux Falls, there are a  few hub shacks around. I have just seen some major struggle with the hub shacks and big wind. that being said the same issues could be said about suitcase shacks. How much of a pain is it dealing with setting up and bringing it out there? I have seen the one advertised with Runnings 6X6 if I recall. Would 6X6 be tight with 2 adults and gear?

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:21 PM »
I'm not sure how spread out the area you live in is. But if craigslist is an option than I would hold out for a flip over. I understand most of the time you pop on to see what is out there many flips will be $285 to $500 or more. But I believe if you are diligent, searching multiple times a day you will find a gem for under $200. When ever there is a used item I plan on buying I search multiple times a day, multiple keywords and may expand my search area depending on the size of the purchase. As a result I have been able to get in on some serious deals that would not have lasted long.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:25 PM »
As a result I have been able to get in on some serious deals that would not have lasted long.

Same here, those deals last minutes, not hours..

<°)))>{

Offline bmahler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:28 AM »
If I'm on the fish and don't plan on moving, I'd much rather be in a hub.  But most of the time for me, we end up having to move a lot, which makes the flip over much handier, especially if there's any wind at all.

Offline majic0135

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:14 PM »
Had Flip over (Clam Voyager) too heavy loaded,,,, Went to Hub (hard to set up, tips over in wind),,, Went back to flip over (Smaller two man) and settled on the Shappell FX 200,,, Light, big tub, great in wind, put snow skis on tub pulls great loaded,,, 3rd Year and holding up great,,, VERY EASY set up,, If you have WINDY conditions you will not like the hub style even though may offer more room,,, Can pick up FX 200 for around $299 on sale or maybe better in some places,,, My experience.   
majic

Offline Pfeil95

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:14 AM »
Facebook pages ate a good place to look, i traded my hub for a clam flip over

Offline brad.kruse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2016, 06:08 PM »
I have several of the pop up (hub style) shacks. I really enjoy the amount of room in them. Wind can be an issue, but it comes with anchors and rope. However, if it is windy and you are by yourself it will be very hard to set up. I have never owned the suitcase style. Personally I really like my flip over shack and recommend one of those if you can find it in your price range (mobile, easy to pull, do well in the wind).

Offline Piking Icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2016, 10:33 AM »
The pull-over style is definitely the way to go and worth waiting for.  Have a clam 5X6 pop-up with plenty of head room but definitely prefer my pull-over.  I don't believe I used the pop-up in over 5 years.
Fish Fear me.....

Offline stealyourface

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2016, 08:11 PM »
I have a hub style and wish i had a pull over

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.