Author Topic: Going Electric!  (Read 2151 times)

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Going Electric!
« on: Nov 29, 2016, 09:38 AM »
I sold my propane auger and am looking to go the electric route.  I'm pretty much settled on the Milwaukee M18 Fuel, but have not decided on the auger.  Looking at the Kdrill site, looks like I can get the auger and a 6" drill for $460.  Most of my fishing will be for pan fish in SW michigan, with the occasional trip to for walleye.  I was also looking at the same drill attached to a 7" Lazer for $425ish.  Both setups seem pretty short, and with a bad back, crouching over doesn't sound like much fun.  I have also looked at the Nils Convertible auger, but that'll run the same price as the Kdrill.  Any thoughts or suggestions?
FTWGA

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going Electric!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2016, 09:44 AM »
I think it's Clam that makes an auger extension that slips right inside the drill and is expandable. I have one on my Ion. As the ice gets thicker you just slip the extension in a lower hole to extend it. VERY handy. The new Ion drill is only $139 at Reed's and is easy to turn for a drill also.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2016, 09:53 AM »
ideally you would want an adjustable extension for what ever auger you want. you don't want a high torque drill in your face. i like mine about belt high and i have an extension to use if the ice gets thick enough again.

i use the lazer and it is a fast and aggressive bit. you may want to slow the cut down with a nills that is supposed to cut much smoother than lazer, but also a much more finicky bit and upkeep is more expensive. with a nills, you can cut bigger holes with less torque compared to the lazer bit.

the k-drill is meant for ice houses as to not throw ice/water every where and to reopen holes like an ice house would have you do.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:09 AM »
If you include (which you should have) an extra set of blades..

The Nils and Kdrill cost the same...

Here is a Nils vs Kdrill thread with a lot of great points...

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=333641.0

Good luck!!

<°)))>{

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:10 AM »
I just bought the 8" K Drill with the extension and the Milwaukee Fuel drill setup for this winter. My neighbor bought the 6" model last winter and it looked pretty cool so I had to try it for this year. Now I just have to wait for ice.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:13 AM »
I use a 6 inch black mora and m18 and it flat out chews the ice. I can get 60 holes through 12 inches of ice on 1 battery with juice left. I'm going to conduct an experiment this winter and drain the battery to see how many holes it will drill through a foot of ice.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:16 AM »
Another option would be buy the M18 and search places like Craigs list for a used  6 or 7 in. hand auger. Make or buy an adapter and give a this set up a try before spending $ on a new   
auger this will give you a good idea what best suits your needs and save you some dough. You might find out a used auger is all you need.
Good luck
Oops! is too late.

Offline dub307

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:23 AM »
i love the k drill.  the Milwaukee drill and the auger bit together aren't cheap but so convenient, easy to use, and lightweight.  I'm not sure about the extension for it tho.  I live in Wyoming and rarely see ice thicker than 16"

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Kdrill has a 12" extension available
Don

Offline Meterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:51 AM »
I purchased the M18 Fuel drill and 8" K-Drill auger to use this winter.   Why would I want the Clam adapter plate (asking for my own education, not trying to be a smart butt)?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:06 PM »
I purchased the M18 Fuel drill and 8" K-Drill auger to use this winter.   Why would I want the Clam adapter plate (asking for my own education, not trying to be a smart butt)?

Stability ...can lay auger on the ice/slush/snow...w/o getting drill wet

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:06 PM »
to keep your wrists in working order. Torque can do a number on your wrists if your handle on the m18 breaks off due to the aluminum they use.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:10 PM »
CLAM PLATE MILWAUKEE FUEL M18 REVIEW 

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:17 PM »
I wasn't going to do the Clam plate, but I like the idea of keeping it out if the slush and snow, and not breaking my wrists.  With the M18, I won't have to worry about the gear box attachment with a 7" lazer will i?
FTWGA

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:28 PM »
I wasn't going to do the Clam plate, but I like the idea of keeping it out if the slush and snow, and not breaking my wrists.  With the M18, I won't have to worry about the gear box attachment with a 7" lazer will i?

Probably not .

not sure if you have the Drill auger unit ...this set up has an 8" drill unit w/ gear box

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-augers%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104395680/clam-outdoors-8482-drill-auger-conversion-kit-combo/2364918.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fice-augers%2F_%2FN-1100504%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104395680

Clam plate good price

http://www.basspro.com/Clam-Drill-Auger-Conversion-Kit/product/9992215021/

Offline HardWaterHunter1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:48 PM »
CLAM PLATE MILWAUKEE FUEL M18 REVIEW 

Clam plate is key when it comes to stealth and have never been disappointed.
Fish all you can.

Offline Meterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:18 PM »
Stability ...can lay auger on the ice/slush/snow...w/o getting drill wet

To attach the K-Drill to the Clam Drill Auger Conversion Kit, do I need an adapter or will the K-Drill attach directly?

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:20 PM »
I went electric late last season. I run the Milw M18 and the 6" Nils orange cordless drill/Hand Auger and haven't looked back. We had about 10-16" of ice when I got it last season and never had an issue with the battery. I would drill about 15-20 holes each time out and the battery still showed full power. My Jiffy may never see the ice again!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline Panfisher78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2016, 01:28 PM »
I've ran the M18 and Kdrill 6" for two seasons now. It's awesome! I've added the clam drill plate for this season. Can't wait to try it out!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:00 PM »
To attach the K-Drill to the Clam Drill Auger Conversion Kit, do I need an adapter or will the K-Drill attach directly?

think you need an adapter ... an extension isn't a bad idea

http://www.cabelas.com/product/k-drill-adapter-clam-drill-plate/2358125.uts

http://www.basspro.com/Clam-Ice-Auger-16-Extension/product/1308191159/

or this

http://www.cabelas.com/product/K-DRILL-AUGER-EXTENSION/2349001.uts

@9:47 mark

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2016, 03:14 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a 8" K-drill they had them at the local Farm Supply store for $239 in stock so no shipping cost. I bought the Milwaukee 1/2" M18 Fuel hammer drill about a month ago. By the video it doesn't really look like you need a clam plate they say not much torque is needed with the K-drill, the key is the rpm that the drill turns at. All I need now is ice. I'm going to see how it goes without the clam plate first.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:00 PM »
The only time you have a little bit of corkscrew is at the bottom of the hole when your blades bite the bottom of the ice with moras. I have no problem even opening old holes as long as you have curved blades as in lazers. But when it bites and you don't have just the right speed :o

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:10 PM »
Last year I bought the clam drill/plate combo...don't remember Dr but I think it was around $150 and with the m18 drill and with the larger battery I never ran out of juice.......is really slick and had many people come over to check it out....love it.

Offline dub307

• IceShanty Rookie
  • tight lines
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:27 PM »
I just pulled the trigger on a 8" K-drill they had them at the local Farm Supply store for $239 in stock so no shipping cost. I bought the Milwaukee 1/2" M18 Fuel hammer drill about a month ago. By the video it doesn't really look like you need a clam plate they say not much torque is needed with the K-drill, the key is the rpm that the drill turns at. All I need now is ice. I'm going to see how it goes without the clam plate first.

I don't think it is necessary for clam plate.  it cuts very smooth and doesn't grab very hard

Offline wittyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2016, 03:42 PM »
I went with the M18 Fuel and a 6" K-drill.  I'll run it without the plate to see how I like it.
FTWGA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.