Author Topic: Best Ice Fishing Lures For a wide variety of fish  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Fishing_New_England

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 2 things, football and fishing
Best Ice Fishing Lures For a wide variety of fish
« on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:20 AM »
I'm brand new to ice fishing and want to know some lures that will catch me a wide variety of fish. I have one lure. That being a Swedish pimple.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Ice Fishing Lures For a wide variety of fish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2016, 12:17 PM »
Lots of fish caught on a Swedish pimple they are very effective. Also suggest forage minnow jigging spoons and kastmasters too. Pk predator is a good one too. I have caught a variety of species on the above. Too many options to list. Just find one you have confidence in and use it. Good luck.
Salmonemia

Offline sundancedan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2016, 12:20 PM »
My go to lure last year was a Lindy Darter, and some glow jigs for night fishing Burbot. I always tip with a minnow head.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2016, 12:24 PM »
To start off with the simplest way of looking at it... Think in Vertical or Horizontal, a Swedish Pimple is a great lure for a vertical presentation, you can add a "chain" and different "baits" to catch a wide variety of fish. Some situations and places call for a horizontal presentation, I use a Salmo Chubby Darter, with great success. If you were going to jig just for pan fish I would suggest some Tear Drop style jigs, for when the panfish are feeding tiny protozoans and the like... I focus less on color and work on presentation and action, that will get you lots of fish!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2016, 01:20 PM »
A jigging spoon ...you can jig it vertical with bait/plastic ....as well as adding vertizontal plastics.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2016, 01:27 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. I will be sure to use it!

Offline perch_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2016, 07:24 PM »
VMC jigs are nice. Also cabelas is selling multipacks of them for good prices
I hate my username. I made it when I was 14 and I dont know how to change it.

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:08 PM »
PKs are real good!!

Kyle_J

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:16 PM »
Pk predator or a hali

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:42 PM »
chartruce spoon with a blood trebble hook.  find something you have confidence in and catch a few fish and work it to death. 

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2016, 09:41 AM »
Can't go wrong with a few different pimples. All previously suggested are good multi-species catchers. I might add a small Rapala Jigging Rap to the list.  A 3/16 oz in fire tiger can catch a lot of different fish.

Offline Mr.Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Can't go wrong with a few different pimples. All previously suggested are good multi-species catchers. I might add a small Rapala Jigging Rap to the list.  A 3/16 oz in fire tiger can catch a lot of different fish.
you can bigger with these too and still have a multi-species catcher. But as with many lures, the bigger you go, the more fish you are potentially excluding from your bite if they are A.) smaller stuff like panfish B.) not feeling aggressive and wanting a smaller presentation.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2016, 11:50 AM »
I would also include a selection of non-lead jigs and small plastics (think 1/4 to 1/16 size jigs).
I have caught many species with a red/white crappie tube lure on a 1/16 jig.
I'm talking yellow perch, white perch, black crappie, small mouth bass, large mouth bass, pickerel, sunfish and trout.

The key to any successful ice outing is to carry at least some variety of lures, so that you can change things around if one lure isn't producing.

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2016, 01:36 PM »
Trout magnet. Catches 14" yellows and 22" lake trout  ;D

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2016, 02:33 PM »
Trout magnet. Catches 14" yellows and 22" lake trout  ;D

What size trout magnet?
Salmonemia

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Pk predator or a hali

PK predator is a killer,   But firetiger Hali with a tiny shiner on hook is the greatest!!  For bigger fish replace replace the tiny Hali hook to hold larger shiner!
Dick

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2016, 03:22 PM »
First off,  Welcome to the world of ice fishing.   Second of all,  the advice offered by all the other posters is very good, and all the lure options are good ones.  However being a newbie, I would caution you from over buying lures, and here is what I mean.  There is no guaranteed super lure that will always catch limits every time out.  Some days a flutter spoon might be the best option, the next day it might be a darter  that the fish want. The  next day it might be small tungsten jigs, or jigging rap, or buckshot spoon. 

I know that the previous paragraph may be confusing as it seems to suggest the more lures the better, but I really am not saying that.  What I am trying to say is that all the lures I  mentioned are good ones, but they all have different actions, all fish differently,  and all need to be jigged differently.   Instead of getting caught up in having a large option of different lures,  I  would keep the options down to 5 or 6 different ones, and learn how to work them effectively to catch fish.  Once you gain confidence, then I would expand my tackle box. 

I would have a couple of flutter spoons, let's say 2 slender spoons.  Then I  would have a couple of straighter falling spoons, such as a buckshot.  I would get a  couple of horizontal,  and vertical tungsten jigs.  I would get a couple of jigging raps, and a couple of darters, and that would be it. 

You didn't say what species you are primarily targetting, and being that you are in New Hampshire,  there maybe other lures that would be better choices. 

By having a limited amount of lures, it forces you to learn the lures action, and will also get you to learn the jigging cadence that works best on that given day.  If you have too many options,  you may spend more time changing lures, without learning how to trigger a reaction from the fish, and still not be successful. Honestly what you will find from most of us with large selections of lures is that we consistently only use a handful of them, and only abandon the tried and true when they don't produce.  Remember,  some days you have to jig aggressively,  other days it might be a very subtle action that  works.  Before changing lures, try changing your jigging cadence.   If you have a flasher, or camera,  observe how the fish react to your presentation.   They will let you know if they like what you are giving them or not.

Good luck!

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2016, 05:34 PM »
The above post said it best. For me my best multispecies jig would be a jigging rapala. I have caught LM bass, walleye, perch, crappies, lake trout, bluegills on them.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2016, 05:46 PM »
First off,  Welcome to the world of ice fishing.   Second of all,  the advice offered by all the other posters is very good, and all the lure options are good ones.  However being a newbie, I would caution you from over buying lures, and here is what I mean.  There is no guaranteed super lure that will always catch limits every time out.  Some days a flutter spoon might be the best option, the next day it might be a darter  that the fish want. The  next day it might be small tungsten jigs, or jigging rap, or buckshot spoon. 

I know that the previous paragraph may be confusing as it seems to suggest the more lures the better, but I really am not saying that.  What I am trying to say is that all the lures I  mentioned are good ones, but they all have different actions, all fish differently,  and all need to be jigged differently.   Instead of getting caught up in having a large option of different lures,  I  would keep the options down to 5 or 6 different ones, and learn how to work them effectively to catch fish.  Once you gain confidence, then I would expand my tackle box. 

I would have a couple of flutter spoons, let's say 2 slender spoons.  Then I  would have a couple of straighter falling spoons, such as a buckshot.  I would get a  couple of horizontal,  and vertical tungsten jigs.  I would get a couple of jigging raps, and a couple of darters, and that would be it. 

You didn't say what species you are primarily targetting, and being that you are in New Hampshire,  there maybe other lures that would be better choices. 

By having a limited amount of lures, it forces you to learn the lures action, and will also get you to learn the jigging cadence that works best on that given day.  If you have too many options,  you may spend more time changing lures, without learning how to trigger a reaction from the fish, and still not be successful. Honestly what you will find from most of us with large selections of lures is that we consistently only use a handful of them, and only abandon the tried and true when they don't produce.  Remember,  some days you have to jig aggressively,  other days it might be a very subtle action that  works.  Before changing lures, try changing your jigging cadence.   If you have a flasher, or camera,  observe how the fish react to your presentation.   They will let you know if they like what you are giving them or not.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice and I will be targeting mostly panfish and bass.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Salmonemia

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:37 PM »
have done well with the slender spoons. 1/8 for shallow and 5/16 for deeper water.

Offline legend

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:50 PM »
for trout the PK flutterfish is very hard to beat ! and the PK predator does well for crappies and walleyes...use different sizes
I am haunted by waters...

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2016, 03:04 PM »
All good advice. 

Pretty soon you will have a few of each of those if you are like the rest of us!   ;)

Good luck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:09 PM »
Thank you all!

Offline bassfun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2016, 06:40 AM »
PK lures work great

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2016, 07:57 AM »
If I had to choose just one lure to use it would be a PK predator... red dot glow.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2016, 12:23 PM »
I've had great luck with kastmasters for all kinds of trout, and PK flutter fish or the good old pimple do well for Lakers.
Let it freeze

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2016, 07:31 PM »
bucktail jig for lakers for me. what works for you in the summer for bass? shad raps, plugs etc. etc. lures that mimic baitfish , those same imitations may very well work in the winter time. bass slow down in the winter , so if you're still targeting them, perhaps a slower cadence will be best.
try some small jig heads and bait them up. with jig heads, you're able to modify them yourself with different finishes or applications. nail polish, different paints are a few things you can try to experiment with. try some different plastic baits on them too.
as for colors, I like colors that have  luminosity in the water depth . deeper the water the better the luminosity of your lure choice.

Offline ssduramax66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2016, 09:31 AM »

Good luck!

meat and potatoes right there.  There is no replacement for confidence in the lure you are fishing. 

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2016, 06:55 AM »

I see you are from Hollis... be sure to visit the IceHole in Brookline (one of our sponsors), they will be able to provide you with any gear and local advice; in addition to all the good advice you received here.

I fish in your area often, feel free to PM me and we can talk about local ice fishing near you that is fairly reliable for warm water species.

Welcome...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.