Author Topic: Eskimo QuickFish 5i review  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Dunn13

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo QuickFish 5i review
« on: Nov 26, 2016, 08:31 PM »
After much deliberation on my first shelter I decided to go with the QuickFish 5i. L & M Fleet had these for $329 last week so I decided to pull the trigger. I was debating between the Clam 4000t, Cabela's 360TC, and Eskimo 5i. After seeing the Cabela's in person I wasn't that impressed with the shelter overall. It gets great reviews online but I crossed that one off the list (360 windows were pretty nice though). Next up was the Clam. I was really back and forth between the Clam and Eskimo but ended up going with the 5i due to the ceiling height (I'm 6'10"), removable windows, ice anchors, and I like red/black more than the blue.

I haven't been on the ice yet but I have put it up and taken it down a couple times and I think it will suit my needs very well. Most of the time it will just be me or myself and my 3 year old son. Being tall and liking a little more room I like the size of this shelter. Plenty of room to put my Smitty sled inside the shelter and still have several holes to fish from. I think this will fish 3 people very comfortably, 4 would be doable, 5 would be a stretch.

Setup/Takedown: Being a large fully insulated shelter this thing does have some weight to it. I'm a big guy so I didn't have any trouble with setup or takedown. Might be different on the ice with a little wind, but I don't think it'll be that bad. I used a lashing strap to wrap up the shelter once it was taken down. The little strap they give you with the shelter is not big enough and very difficult to get it wrapped up. The lashing strap made it easy to get the shelter back in the carry bag.

Smitty sled is 34" wide and skis are 66" long for reference.

Here are some pics:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo QuickFish 5i review
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2016, 12:54 AM »
One thing that you can do to help make it easier to set up on the ice is anchor one side down before you pop it up that way it will help hold it in place.  This works and is even more helpful when it's windy.  Another thing I did with my Fatfish 949i is I got ratchet straps to use instead of the ropes they give you to use for tie downs, come loose after the wind has been blowing for a while.  The added bonus to doing this is you can use them to lash the shelter after you take it down.

Offline ErnieLearns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2016, 02:05 AM »
One thing that you can do to help make it easier to set up on the ice is anchor one side down before you pop it up that way it will help hold it in place.  This works and is even more helpful when it's windy.  Another thing I did with my Fatfish 949i is I got ratchet straps to use instead of the ropes they give you to use for tie downs, come loose after the wind has been blowing for a while.  The added bonus to doing this is you can use them to lash the shelter after you take it down.

I second everything mentioned.  The last thing you want is setting up and watching your shelter blow down the lake.  Now all you need is a heater.

Offline Fishin fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2016, 04:05 AM »
I bought the quickfish 5 not the 5i. Got it on sale for $274 cdn. Set it up in the driveway in the wind. Was relatively easy. I love the large doors and the high ceiling. Lots of space inside and now I can keep my Smitty and gear inside on stormy days. A ton of windows, 9 anchors and an oversized bag. I had a rapala shack before but I like what I see from Eskimo so far. Now to get some ice.

Dave.

Offline jocasseee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2016, 09:31 AM »
The 5i looks pretty sweet, the extra height, all the windows and larger doors are big plus's.   Nice smitty sled too.   Looks like your ready for some ice...

Offline Dunn13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2016, 03:46 PM »

I got some cam buckle straps off of Amazon for about $10 that double as shelter tie downs and straps to keep everything on my sled. Much better option than trying to use the rope tie downs.

I bought the quickfish 5 not the 5i. Got it on sale for $274 cdn. Set it up in the driveway in the wind. Was relatively easy. I love the large doors and the high ceiling. Lots of space inside and now I can keep my Smitty and gear inside on stormy days. A ton of windows, 9 anchors and an oversized bag. I had a rapala shack before but I like what I see from Eskimo so far. Now to get some ice.

Dave.

Agreed on the large doors, that was the other big selling point for me. I was looking at the Eskimo 6120 but that shelter was not made for people over 6'.

Offline Fishin fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2016, 04:00 PM »
I use cams as well to secure to ice and the Smitty. The doors and the height( as well as the price) were the selling points for me. Lots of room for my son and myself and maybe mom and lil sis or papa if he wants to tag along now. And when by my self I will have lots of room to be comfortable. I'm sure the buddy heater (9000) will keep it warm. I am already set up with the 5lber.  U will be even better off being thermal.

Dave.

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2016, 05:57 PM »
Thanks for the review, sure hope the ice comes soon for all of us. I've been considering getting an Eskimo hub of some sort, I'm torn on which one to get. But probably going to pull the trigger soon. I have two small kids that I want to take out with me on the ice, I can handle the cold but I know that they won't for very long. Also, it pains me to see the K2 Public Enemies on that sled. I love them so much I have 2 pairs from different years. I still use mine on the slopes though!  ;D

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Nice sled Dunn,
I noticed your ice anchors.
A suggestion I would make would be to use wood screws

I take my drill out instead of hand screwing.
The shack comes with straps already attached at each tie-down point so all I have to do is clip on the carabiner.
This should make the process much faster.

6" FastenMaster TimberLOK Heavy Duty Wood Screws
1/2" Rubber Insulated Wire/Cable/Pipe Fasteners
3 1/8" Carabiner
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2016, 11:45 AM »
I believe the Cabelas pop-ups are made by Eskimo anyway.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Dunn13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2016, 10:00 PM »
Nice sled Dunn,

(Image removed from quote.)

I take my drill out instead of hand screwing.
The shack comes with straps already attached at each tie-down point so all I have to do is clip on the carabiner.
This should make the process much faster.

6" FastenMaster TimberLOK Heavy Duty Wood Screws
1/2" Rubber Insulated Wire/Cable/Pipe Fasteners
3 1/8" Carabiner

Thanks for the tip Joe. The one downside to the Eskimo shelter is it comes with a stringy tie-down rope instead of the nice tie down straps Clam provides. I got some cam straps to replace the Eskimo rope so that should help.

I believe the Cabelas pop-ups are made by Eskimo anyway.

Clam actually makes the Cabela's tents. They are listed on Clam's site anyway.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2016, 02:49 AM »
The best thing I've found to use for tie downs is ratchet straps or something similar because they don't come loose until you want them to and you can use them for other stuff , they're pretty cheap, and you can get them just about anywhere.

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:20 PM »
I saw these set-up at a store event last weekend - very impressive. It feels huge on the inside because of the 7' ceiling. The big doors are also awesome for when you have boots on.

If I didn't have a newer 6120i, I'd be adding this hub. Great review!

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:50 PM »
Nice sled Dunn,

That's a great idea Joe, I think I'd like to do the same. Have you ever had a screw bend? If it gets bent then it might be hard to remove with the drill. Or do you screw it fully into the ice to prevent bending?

Great review Dunn. Also like your Smitty sled build!

Offline Joe Wayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2016, 08:03 AM »
I've never had a screw bend on me, I put them all the way into the ice.
Joe Wayne | Ankeny, IA

Offline Dunn13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2016, 11:54 PM »
I saw these set-up at a store event last weekend - very impressive. It feels huge on the inside because of the 7' ceiling. The big doors are also awesome for when you have boots on.

If I didn't have a newer 6120i, I'd be adding this hub. Great review!

I almost bought a 6120i last year but being a big guy I couldn't get past the small doors and low ceiling height, loved everything else about it though. I was very happy they came out with the 5i this year!

Offline Fishin fan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2016, 06:51 PM »
Got out in the 5 today. 60 km gusts. Only had the outside hubs anchored. Held good but I will anchor some corners next time in the high winds. Nice to be able to stand up and move around. Lots of space for two of us and gear.

Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.