Author Topic: The Eagle Claw Ice rod case  (Read 5767 times)

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
The Eagle Claw Ice rod case
« on: Nov 15, 2016, 07:18 PM »
Really tried hard to get one of these last year but they were sucked up really fast.  How do the guys that got one, how do you like them, any regrets on buying it?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: The Eagle Claw Ice rod case
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2016, 07:56 PM »
ive been looking for the eagle claw hard case too.seems they made a few and I haven't seen many for sale anywhere.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:06 PM »
Looks like they may fit the inline reels. Anyone know?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:07 PM »
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/eagle-claw-ice-fishing-rod-carrying-case?a=1945212

sh1589 ...free shipping code ...ends tomorrow

Looks like they may fit the inline reels. Anyone know?

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Mittenman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:13 PM »
I have no experience with that rod case but after trying several I settled on the Frabil case. The Otter rod case was a close second to me but I didn't like the non folding handle.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2016, 08:21 PM »
sportsmans guide wont have  them in stock till 12/19.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2016, 09:15 PM »
Anyone else have them

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2016, 04:56 PM »
HWD thank you Jusr ordered for Xmas.  They were actually the cheapest, $39.99  talked to the guy he said they have a full pallet of them.  Everyone else was on back order.

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2016, 12:04 AM »
I bought the Eagle Claw ice rod case last year, seriously think I may have scooped up the very last one available at a dealer, wanted to buy two but couldn't get two, ANYWHERE else I looked did not have them. A couple months ago I contacted eagle claw and inquired about these, beings that several people were interested but they were gone in a flash, also had several guys look at mine and wanted one bad, even offered more than what I paid for mine!! Any how Eagle Claw replied back and stated that last year was a sample run to see how much of a market there would be for these and were planning on producing many many more for this season, I haven't looked for stock yet but this thread reminded me. As for being user friendly I LOVE this thing, If I remember right I can fit 10 rods in it, up to 32" if im right, maybe 34 and then double stack some shorter ones in the center, it does crowd stuff a bit though. I run all micro reels but still have to loosen the handles to get that many packed in there. Will be buying another one this year to get the rest of the rods in, that way I can take all with me and put the rods I know ill be using in one box and have a box full of others if something changes up. The real issue here might actually be that I have too many rods...... LOl

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2016, 06:56 AM »
Thanks for the input sandhillguy, I know last year I tried every option I could to try n get one.  Then I remembered a couple days ago,  but couldn't remember the name of the case so where do you go for top notch ice fishing questions?  Say Iceshanty forum where knowledge spill over lol thanks guys 2 ordered

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2016, 07:04 AM »
i ordered one too.had problems with marine general with my cc card.but found it for a dollar more at mills fleet farm.now I can take my noodle rods that would not fit in my clam rod locker.i hated just throwing my 32" noodles in the sled and hope for the best.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2016, 07:20 AM »
I was always tired of the untangling on the ice, have some custom rods n always worried about snap crackle n pop

Offline trundog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2016, 09:58 AM »
does anyone know how much this case weighs?

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2016, 10:08 AM »
 Last year I ordered 24 of them for the shop and they only sent me 12 . I asked when I was going to get the others because we sold them out in no time at all. They told me that they only made 50 for a trial run and next year they would make sure they made enough to satisfy the demand. Well I know this year they only made about 1500 of them so the case is alvalible but I have a feeling they will sell out fast. I ordered again 24 of them and this time I received all 24 but we are down to 12 left . I have reordered more but I have been told their stock is limited.

Here is a link I had last year for a review of this case http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319207.msg3358673#msg3358673

Offline Cliodiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06:32 PM »
Got one a couple of weeks ago. I think it is better suited for rods with inline reels. Spinning reels have to have the cranks folded in to store multiple rods. I am pleased so far. My only concern is the quality of the latches. They are made of a brittle plastic. Use in th cold could be problematic. Time will tell. All in all very pleased.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2016, 06:46 PM »
Got one a couple of weeks ago. I think it is better suited for rods with inline reels. Spinning reels have to have the cranks folded in to store multiple rods. I am pleased so far. My only concern is the quality of the latches. They are made of a brittle plastic. Use in th cold could be problematic. Time will tell. All in all very pleased.
yes the latch handles do look brittle.thing is freakin huge too. it wont fit in my shappell fx100.may keep my clam rod locker and get rid of the eagle claw hard case.be great on a quad or snowmobile rack.

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:15 PM »
I have no experience with that rod case but after trying several I settled on the Frabil case. The Otter rod case was a close second to me but I didn't like the non folding handle.

same reason that I didn't go with the otter, I opted for the expedition ice case over the Frabil jut because it was 42" long. both seemed similar in all other aspects. haven't received it yet, so hoping I made the right choice. the Frabil one looks super rugged, if a guy has the room for it! they were on sale at Cabela's, don't know if they still are or not.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:42 PM »
ive been looking for the eagle claw hard case too.seems they made a few and I haven't seen many for sale anywhere.
I ordered one from Marine General last Saturday and got it on Tuesday. They were supposed to get 24 in on the same Tuesday. I paid $39.99 and shipping was $9. Amazon was  selling them for $79.99 last time I checked this week. I have both inline and spinning reels in it. It's true you have to collapse the handle on a spinning reel, but I had to in my last rod case also. It also has slots for Plano type boxes on the ends and a nice open area in the center to use for storage. One nice thing is it is MADE IN THE USA!!! ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2016, 07:48 PM »
Received mine the other day got 2 the latches are a bit of a concern for the cold weather but I do like the idea of not worrying about my rods being snapped

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:17 AM »
X3 or X4 on concerns on the latches.  The body of the case looks really well made but the latches look really, really cheap.  I don't own one but looked at one very closely in a store and those latches look like they will not last. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2016, 02:32 PM »
Last year I ordered 24 of them for the shop and they only sent me 12 . I asked when I was going to get the others because we sold them out in no time at all. They told me that they only made 50 for a trial run and next year they would make sure they made enough to satisfy the demand. Well I know this year they only made about 1500 of them so the case is alvalible but I have a feeling they will sell out fast. I ordered again 24 of them and this time I received all 24 but we are down to 12 left . I have reordered more but I have been told their stock is limited.

Here is a link I had last year for a review of this case http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=319207.msg3358673#msg3358673
Did you get any complaints about latches from customers last winter?

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2016, 04:24 PM »
A rep told me at the St. Paul Ice Show that most of them they had in production were sold to Fleet Farm.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2016, 07:22 PM »
I communicated with Wright McGill today and was told that out of the 2,800 cases produced last year there were zero warranty claims. He also said the latches were tested down to forty below.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Oh I be loading my rods n jigs in mine 2moro

Offline G fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wish i was a fishing(Too slim n the traildragers)
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2016, 10:08 PM »
got mine the other day and loaded it down with 9 rods with handles folded no worries. don't have to worry about no broken tips, and all my rods for the whole family and some. 39.99 happy so far see how it handles the cold weather and abuse.
Team Ripp'n lips.
"Drink a little"
"Save a little"
"There will always be a Little".

Offline sandhillguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2016, 12:10 AM »
I used mine hard last year, 9 rods total in it, used in weather down to -10, dropped a couple times, no issues with breaking or latches giving out whatsoever, by far the most practical ice rod case I have come across to date.

Offline BK105

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:12 AM »
I've looked at them all I think, just ordered the Frabil-7020, holds 8 to 10 rigs, 42" long. Cabela's w/free shipping, $79.99

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:26 AM »
I just got an email from Wright McGill this morning, Eagle Claw hard cases are going fast and they just shipped their last 50 cases to Marine General. They should be there later this week if you want to order one.

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:45 AM »
 Ice Dawg No there hasn't been any issues with the latch and that was also a concern for me but with all the use mine got and the use from other cutovers no reported issues with it. I even had a guy roll his Snowmobile with gear onboard. The case did its job and the rod came through with no damage to the Case or rods . Now the Auger and Flashers and himself are a different story. Yes he was going WAY to Fast like a Knuckle Head.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.