Author Topic: New to me auger!  (Read 2126 times)

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to me auger!
« on: Nov 04, 2016, 10:47 AM »
I aquired and older Mora hand auger. Does not have the through bolt to hold the handle, rather the handle screws onto the blades shaft. Going to work on freeing that up where it is locked on there pretty hard right now. Does anyone have any info on where to get a drill adapter for these? Thanks!

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New to me auger!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2016, 10:56 AM »
upload a picture I'm sure there is someone on here who knows where to find one or have one made custom. I know last year someone had an IS member who was a machinist, custom make something similar. Good luck.
Salmonemia

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2016, 02:48 PM »
There is a picture in this attatched website. I am not able to upload photos at the moment.

https://www.lake-link.com/forums/Ice-Fishing/discuss.cfm/96252/Mora-6-disassembly

Offline frigidaire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2016, 03:39 PM »
Be careful C78.  I have a similar Mora drill ca 1982.  When I became interested in a Clam Plate I decided to try and separate the two halves of the old Mora.  I could not, even with torch heat and two Rigid pipe wrenches.  Instead the hollow tube began to crimp.  I quit before the handle was crushed.  Eventually I bought a 7 inch Lazer to use with my drill and Clam plate.  Good luck with yours, but be careful!!!

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2016, 04:07 PM »
Google ice master drill adapter if you get it separated. I have 4 and 1/2 moras and the only modern one with a pin I have is 8". While the Milwaukee may push it I don't want to put that kinda stress on it so I plan on ordering that adapter for this winter as it's cheaper than buying a new auger.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2016, 06:41 PM »
Frigid, thanks for the advice, ill go easy on it, and let some liquid wrench set in it for awhile.

Bld, have you tried this adapter yet? From what I've read the threads on this are uncommon. Just curious if these matched up.

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2016, 10:07 PM »
Frigid, thanks for the advice, ill go easy on it, and let some liquid wrench set in it for awhile.

Bld, have you tried this adapter yet? From what I've read the threads on this are uncommon. Just curious if these matched up.

When you order it it gives you a strikemaster/mora option and says it fits the threaded style. I've not used it but from what I can tell it seems like it should do it and unless something else comes together I'll be ordering and trying one this year. I think fishusa has them I'll probably call and ask before ordering

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2016, 11:28 PM »
Let me know what you find out. And ill do the same if i find out. Mine is not the strikemaster. Its the original KJ mora.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2016, 06:51 AM »
I have an older 8" mora, and 5"  Lazer ( from the 80's) that I put the ice master on.  The handles screw together.  It works great.   

I picked up the Fin nor 6" and got one for that too. The finbor has the bolt thru the handle.

http://www.fishusa.com/product/Ice-Master-Ice-Auger-Power-Drill-Conversion-Kit

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 06, 2016, 11:58 AM »
I also have one those augers. Had it for awhile but never tried it. Removed the handle this morning. Also on ebay is  hhogenerators. He does custom adapters. He has done some for me.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 06, 2016, 01:44 PM »
Im not looking to use a clam plate, just straight to a drill.

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2016, 02:21 PM »
Adam see my post on your Maine thread.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2016, 08:09 PM »

The Ice Master drill adapter worked on the threads! Bring on the ice!

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2016, 09:43 AM »

The Ice Master drill adapter worked on the threads! Bring on the ice!
Do not be surprised if that drill will not work with that 8 inch auger. You may need the 6 inch or some 7 inch blades for that one.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #16 on: Dec 07, 2016, 10:27 AM »
My older Milwaukee drill spins my 8" mora pretty good.   It's not one of the newer power-houses.   Just be sure to brace it against your leg because if it binds, it will hurt your wrist. (I don't have a second handle on mine).
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline csiacd78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2016, 03:58 PM »
This drill has a sensor to stop the motor when it fetches up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.