Author Topic: Permanent Shanty Project  (Read 445 times)

Offline bryantb2

• IceShanty Rookie
Permanent Shanty Project
« on: Oct 27, 2016, 07:45 PM »
While sitting here waiting for the ice to form I have decided to build a permanent shanty. My goal is to build the shanty as light and as durable as possible. This being said I am wondering if anyone has used structural insulated panels to build a shanty? I am having trouble finding a place to purchase them. I would like the panels to be smooth aluminum on both sides and 1.5" to 2" thick. I see a lot of commercial deer blind builders using these panels and they look strong, light and easy to use. I am looking for suggestions on where to buy and how to build with these panels.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Permanent Shanty Project
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2016, 07:56 PM »
If I'm understanding you correctly your looking for "walk in" refrigerator or freezer panels??? Might check on craigslist, I found some used ones for sale but they were 4" thick (must have been freezer panels???). and I didn't want anything that thick, so i passed on them but the price seemed quite reasonable probably because they were used. I think i was in either the commercial or materials section. Good luck.

Offline Lone Fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Permanent Shanty Project
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2016, 08:30 PM »
My father works at a place that makes SIPs and I've known a couple people who made a shack out of them. From what I know you can build them a lot lighter using the typical 2x2 studs with foam way. If weight isn't a concern, panels are by far the faster and easier way to go. That's my 2 cents

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.