Author Topic: Moving to Hill AFB from South Dakota  (Read 622 times)

Offline jgallen33

• IceShanty Rookie
Moving to Hill AFB from South Dakota
« on: Jul 20, 2016, 10:30 AM »
Hey all.  I will be moving to the area around Hill AFB in November.  I am coming from South Dakota and just wondering if it is worth keeping the ice gear?  Similar climates from what I can tell, so I am thinking yes.  When do you guys start seeing good ice, and how long does it usually last?

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re: Moving to Hill AFB from South Dakota
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2016, 08:30 AM »
The high elevation lakes start to freeze in late October.  There are a few brave souls who have actually fished on Halloween.  Realistically though, there is fishable ice from late November until usually late April.  We've had years when the ice didn't leave until late May, but not much of it is fishable by then. 

<{{{{{ °>
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: Moving to Hill AFB from South Dakota
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2016, 11:23 AM »
X2 on what fishrmn says. I would keep the gear for sure. There's plenty of places to ice fish here even a 1hr drive into Wyoming or Idaho. Look forward to maybe meeting you out on the hard deck. Keep in touch, the forum is slow now but usually starts picking up around oct when everyone gets done with hunts and is ready for the ice. Safe travels jgallen33
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.