New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: The new MarCum's goin' with me today...  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
The new MarCum's goin' with me today...
« on: Feb 03, 2006, 04:44 AM »
      ...to the garage clammit. I gotta work on cars for the next couple of days, an it's drivin' me nutz. So I'm taking it with me to show all the guys and parts drivers who show up. Do you know that a complete exhaust system for a Ford Taurus costs almost as much as a new MarCum, an you gotta weld it place yourself, and that to repair the Chevy S-10 tranny costs as much in parts as Gary paid for his new four stroke auger.
       I'm really glad that I can do all this stuff myself, so I can buy all that other stuff. We'll be on the ice Saturday, wherever there may be some... ;D :tipup: ;D
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: The new MarCum's goin' with me today...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2006, 05:05 AM »
What Marcum did you get??
                              Jeffrey

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 07:59 AM »
     The LX-3 with the TC-3 upgrade. The only thing I really don't like is the vibration when you turn it on. It seems excessive and is way more than my Vexilar. If it were a car I'd say wheel imbalance. It seems to me that that much vibration would have to use excessive power too. We'll find out though.
All folks follow Chainsaws first law of diminishing enthusiasm, "Ya just hafta want to do some things more than others."

Offline Rochbassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:25 AM »
Well, I've done my homework and have an LX-5 on the way. Heading up to Nippising at the end of the month. Normally we'd be going for perch,walleye and pike. But this year we will going for  ice. Hear is has about 20 inches presently.
Chainsaw, where did you purchase your unit and what was the final cost(unit,taxes,shipping?)

Offline JeffreyKrow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2006, 01:28 PM »
Hey chainsaw,
     Are you selling your vexilar? I just got one (its on the way) and I am hoping it is all I hoped it would be. I got the FL8. I hear that the new Marcum (5) is very powerful. You might be able to pick up the movement of plankton.Lots of power. Have fun and stay safe,
                                                                             Jeffrey

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:32 AM »
      I bought the LX-3. I got it from Sportsmans Guide for $313.09 (shipping included), and then I tried to use it.
It didn't work. The spinner spun, but no lights. I called MarCum to see HowCum ???
      Chris H., their techie, thought it was just a bad battery and he'd send me a new one ASAP. It weren't. Then they had me send the unit to them, with the transponder. Three weeks into this venture they sent it back and we took it out on Sacandaga, and I brought the Vexilar FL-8 along too,(good thing).
      The MarCum has a voltage indicator on it. I drilled Twenty hole pairs for four guys,(40 holes), and dragged the MarCum with me just to 'Sound and See'. It took me less than an hour to drill those holes but by then the MarCum battery indicator showed only 50% charge remaining and the flasher started acting funny and I had to turn the Gain up all the way just to get a small bottom signal, in only 11 feet of water.
      And then it quit altogether. I'd had the same problem the day before on Mariaville Lake but thought I hadn't fully charged the battery. The old Vexilar got us through the day though.
      Monday I called 'em back. They held a little conference, then said "Mr. Chainsaw. Send it back. Send the entire package. We'll send a UPS call tag and just have it packed and ready. We're going to send you a brand new one, and to try to make up for your inconvenience it will have the upgrades to the TC-3, on us, oh, and keep the spare battery too, on us."
       To sum up: I got the unit as a TC-3 with two batteries for $313.09 but couldn't use it for five weeks. It vibrates a whole order of magnitude more than the Vexilar, and this new unit vibrates much less than the original from Sportsmans Guide. All that vibration has to cost a lot of battery power and no one can tell me why. I'm asking all the MarCum users if theirs seem to vibrate excessively.
        The MarCum Crew who took on these problems with a unit that has 'Gremlins' in it did me a solid when they told me they'd fix the problem. They are true to their word and the final reason I just didn't can the MarCum thing and get a new Vex FL-18. I gotta get it out on the ice for a shakedown cruise before we hit Schroon Lake. I'm still concerned about the power drain though. I'd bring a 110volt lead cord and the charger out on the ice with me but I can't afford the $3,000. for it. ;D :tipup: ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2006, 06:20 AM »
      I bought the LX-3. I got it from Sportsmans Guide for $313.09 (shipping included), and then I tried to use it.
It didn't work. The spinner spun, but no lights. I called MarCum to see HowCum ???
      Chris H., their techie, thought it was just a bad battery and he'd send me a new one ASAP. It weren't. Then they had me send the unit to them, with the transponder. Three weeks into this venture they sent it back and we took it out on Sacandaga, and I brought the Vexilar FL-8 along too,(good thing).
      The MarCum has a voltage indicator on it. I drilled Twenty hole pairs for four guys,(40 holes), and dragged the MarCum with me just to 'Sound and See'. It took me less than an hour to drill those holes but by then the MarCum battery indicator showed only 50% charge remaining and the flasher started acting funny and I had to turn the Gain up all the way just to get a small bottom signal, in only 11 feet of water.
      And then it quit altogether. I'd had the same problem the day before on Mariaville Lake but thought I hadn't fully charged the battery. The old Vexilar got us through the day though.
      Monday I called 'em back. They held a little conference, then said "Mr. Chainsaw. Send it back. Send the entire package. We'll send a UPS call tag and just have it packed and ready. We're going to send you a brand new one, and to try to make up for your inconvenience it will have the upgrades to the TC-3, on us, oh, and keep the spare battery too, on us."
       To sum up: I got the unit as a TC-3 with two batteries for $313.09 but couldn't use it for five weeks. It vibrates a whole order of magnitude more than the Vexilar, and this new unit vibrates much less than the original from Sportsmans Guide. All that vibration has to cost a lot of battery power and no one can tell me why. I'm asking all the MarCum users if theirs seem to vibrate excessively.
        The MarCum Crew who took on these problems with a unit that has 'Gremlins' in it did me a solid when they told me they'd fix the problem. They are true to their word and the final reason I just didn't can the MarCum thing and get a new Vex FL-18. I gotta get it out on the ice for a shakedown cruise before we hit Schroon Lake. I'm still concerned about the power drain though. I'd bring a 110volt lead cord and the charger out on the ice with me but I can't afford the $3,000. for it. ;D :tipup: ;D

CS,
                I have a new Marcum LX5 and mine males alot of noise out of water but seems to work well and the colors seem to be more vibrant compared to the Vex unit. The thing that concerns me is the AC wall charger SOMETIMES gets REAL warm .Charged it the other day and it was fine then I charged it yesterday for only 2 hrs and it seemed real warm .Never had one so don't know what normal is.
         Jack

crowkiller

« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2006, 10:31 AM »
you might be over charging and thats why the plug gets hot

Offline Chainsaw

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2006, 01:22 PM »
      Jack. You have both a Vex and a MarCum? Do us a research solid and hold them by the bezel while they are turned on to the shallowest depth scale. Which one vibrates most, Thanks. My MarCum Vibrates much much more noticably than the Vex, and We're more than curious here.
      The MarCum charger is usually quite warm, and according to them, cannot overcharge your battery. The device stops when the indicator says 100%.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2006, 12:41 AM »
      Jack. You have both a Vex and a MarCum? Do us a research solid and hold them by the bezel while they are turned on to the shallowest depth scale. Which one vibrates most, Thanks. My MarCum Vibrates much much more noticably than the Vex, and We're more than curious here.
      The MarCum charger is usually quite warm, and according to them, cannot overcharge your battery. The device stops when the indicator says 100%.
CS
                No I don't own both units and in fact this is my first locator.
                I have fished with my buddy who has a Vex and I can pick up better on the colors.
                He thought I was crazy for getting the Marcum ,should go with the proven he says.
                I am very pleased with my unit and if it proves to be durable and reliable I'll be satisfied.
                I wonder why the charger would get real warm after only 2 hrs however.
                Getting back to the noise issue. I beleive my Marcum is noisier  than the vex but I've fished in shallow water and it works well. I caught a lot of suspended crappies that I might nor have the other day . I was catching gills just off bottom then I began seeing flashes above ,brought my jig just above and BANG !!!!!!!!!!  Love it. Some guy came over when he saw me catching and stated that wasn't fishing and he was from the old school and didn't need that junk. I told him if that was true he wouldn't be using a fish trap,carbon jig rod,trap heater, power auger and 4 wheeler. He would be using a spud to make holes and a canvas for wind protection, homemade jig rod and foot power not 4 wheelers like my grand daddy did. He got p.o.ed and walked away. ;D

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2006, 12:59 AM »
Too funny JackM.  ;D
They are fun to fish with.  ;)
Flashers open a new world to ice fishing.  ;D

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 06, 2006, 07:44 AM »
Too funny JackM.  ;D
They are fun to fish with.  ;)
Flashers open a new world to ice fishing.  ;D
Camo,
                     Never thought I really needed a Locator and have done well thru the years but, Boy now I see what I have probably been missing. My wife didn't object to the purchase however, questioned the realatively high price. I tokd her it would last my lifetime. With my luck that may be sooner than latter because I know I press my limitations when it comes to fishing but it's so darn addicting. ;D ;D ;D I do have old pics of my grand daddy sitting on a bucket with canvas hung between 2 spuds. I remember he used to take us up to L.G. and let us stretch the canvas out while we skated and the wind would speed us down the lake.He would be in his glory if he could experience what we have out there today.
                                                                           Jack

Offline Tank

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2006, 04:39 PM »
I have had a FL8 a FL18 and now a marcum.The Vexes were noisier than the marcum.I get better seperation with marcum.The zoom feature works better.Its easyer to get rid of interference.I also like the metal arm for the transducer vrs plastic vex.I no many that have them and nobudy had trouble with the battery.THATS MY 2 CENTS WORTH.

Offline Jack Magnum

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2006, 06:07 PM »
I have had a FL8 a FL18 and now a marcum.The Vexes were noisier than the marcum.I get better seperation with marcum.The zoom feature works better.Its easyer to get rid of interference.I also like the metal arm for the transducer vrs plastic vex.I no many that have them and nobudy had trouble with the battery.THATS MY 2 CENTS WORTH.
I called Marcum today about my charger getting pretty warm at times but not all times.Chris asked the engineer guy and told me it's normal for the charger to get warm and when it doesn't get warm it probably is when the battery is fully charged and shuts itself off. If I really think it gets really hot go ahead and return it and they will be glad to check it out or replace it. Chris also told me when it comes to charging seems like everybody has their own opinion on when to charge, letting the battery drain right down or charge after every use. He says he would charge each time I use it and leaving on the charger all the time will not hurt it. If I wasn't going to use for 48hrs he would disconnect the charger however. I like this unit very much and have no complaints thus far.

Offline Rochbassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Tank,Chain,Magnum,
       You boys were making me nervous, have mine in route. Should be coming in tomorrow or Thursday. After researching I chose Marcum for the technical advances over Vex. But was a little leery choosing the newer model marcum over the long time reliable vex. But the advances were just to strong to ignore. Cant wait to put it to use.

By the way, for anyone interested in purchasing a Marcum LX-5, I found the best deal at Reeds Sporting goods in Minnesota. The normal $479 -$24 early bird special and free shipping. $455 total.

Offline Rochbassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:41 PM »
It'ssssssssssssss here. And I'm one happy camper. Have already caught numerous limits on the simulator. Its amazing how every fish is in an aggressive mood.
Back to reality, aside from the impressive screen, features and technology, I'm very impressed by the packaging (soft pack). Entry compartments to the units screen and battery and the transducer bracket. This unit is very fisherman friendly. Less time fiddling around more time setting the hook

Offline Rochbassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2006, 10:46 PM »
PS

Turned on  the unit while sitting at the table and the unit on the table, couldn't hear it, had to place my hear within 8-12  inches to faintly hear it.

Charger read 100 % upon turning the unit on.
Only problem I had was hooking up both the power cord and the digital meter power sources to the battery. required some dexterity.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.